What Else To Do ?

jietjon

C'mon laddie..it's time to be creative and think out of the box...why don't you "lever" your expertise and start a local caber-tossing league.....just be careful with your kilt when bending over to pick up the mighty log else you might make some unwanted friends

Have been visiting Los for past five years, usually 8 weeks stay in december and january time, as my work in Scotland is slow at these times. Bieng Scottish and travelling alone to thailand i tend drink myself into oblivion for 56 days solid. The last trip i had was the last straw and i said to myself, i aint going back unless i find a more healthier way to spend my time , but end up doing the same thing every year. I mean , is this the norm? As i think the liver goin for a burton.

I guess your wife might not be able to detect the bloke from the "deodorant" thread who has been walking around in a gamey state for 15 years....

I think it's highly unlikely that a guy who admittedly spends two months in a bar in Bangkok is going to be the sort of chap who fancies hiking through the hills or steaming down the freakin Mekhong.

I would hazard a guess that he sits on his chuff in a bar surrounded by snub-nosed girls with tattoos because that's what he likes doing best. A leopard can't change its spots.

I doubt you're insulting snub-nosed girls. My wife happens to have almost no nose, but is a lovely person. She never went to college and was born in Isaan. She is intelligent, well liked, and beautiful in my eyes. She reads these types of posts and it hurts.

You're one the most entertaining posters, but at times, you come across as a little snobbish. Well, at least it is entertaining for most.

Have been visiting Los for past five years, usually 8 weeks stay in december and january time, as my work in Scotland is slow at these times. Bieng Scottish and travelling alone to thailand i tend drink myself into oblivion for 56 days solid. The last trip i had was the last straw and i said to myself, i aint going back unless i find a more healthier way to spend my time , but end up doing the same thing every year. I mean , is this the norm? As i think the liver goin for a burton.

dive

trek in national parks

learn muay thai

study reading/writing/speaking thai

hire a car and just go touring the north/north west and north east

go kayaking on the rivers

go on the bangkok jungle(pra pa daeng) mountain bike trip

go on a luxury 2-3 day cruise on a restored rice barge up the chao phraya

etc..

help healing sick buffaloes.

I guess your wife might not be able to detect the bloke from the "deodorant" thread who has been walking around in a gamey state for 15 years....

I would hazard a guess that he sits on his chuff in a bar surrounded by snub-nosed girls with tattoos because that's what he likes doing best. A leopard can't change its spots.

I doubt you're insulting snub-nosed girls. My wife happens to have almost no nose, but i...

Hmm, she has never commented on my foul smell. What a match we make.

I doubt you're insulting snub-nosed girls. My wife happens to have almost no nose, but is a lovely person. She never went to college and was born in Isaan. She is intelligent, well liked, and beautiful in my eyes. She reads these types of posts and it hurts.

You're one the most entertaining posters, but at times, you come across as a little snobbish. Well, at least it is entertaining for most.

Far from it. My first wife was snub-nosed, although she was a New Zealander. My apologies to your wife; no disrespect mentioned.

I think you're smart enough to get both my allusion and, more importantly, towards where my sense of derision is in fact aimed as I was painting this picture.

As for being a 'little snobbish'. I bitterly resent that. I do nothing in half measures.

BENDIX IS ENTERTAINING?

You wouldn't understand, old pal.

And I say that with as much respect as I can muster for someone who's idea of humour and entertainment is insisting on spelling 'coming' as 'cumming.'

It's hilarious. No really, it is.

I find it entertaining that you couldn't understand the irony in the post you're referring to on another thread.

*Sigh* . . . .Wouldnt it be nice if new members were as smart as those who, sadly, have left? Had you any sense, you would realise I was taking the piss out of blokes who . . ummm . . come to Thailand and live as paupers in one room 5k apartments.

Now, if you'll excuse me, my maid is asking me if I have any ironing I need doing . .

Edited by bendix

I think it's highly unlikely that a guy who admittedly spends two months in a bar in Bangkok is going to be the sort of chap who fancies hiking through the hills or steaming down the freakin Mekhong.

a little ? :o

no no, i really do find guys who live in 5k apts entertaining! i meself have a 7 k one lined up for the first of aug!

thers a world of diff. between a 5 k one and a 7k one.

Good on you. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Me? Well, I didnt come to Thailand to live like a penniless student back home, but I guess it takes all sorts.

no no, i really do find guys who live in 5k apts entertaining! i meself have a 7 k one lined up for the first of aug!

Me? Well, I didnt come to Thailand to live like a penniless student back home, but I guess it takes all sorts.

Anyways , thanks to all. Was goin to cancel this years trip, but i think its back on, good input all round . Slante .

Far from it. My first wife was snub-nosed, although she was a New Zealander. My apologies to your wife; no disrespect mentioned.

I think you're smart enough to get both my allusion and, more importantly, towards where my sense of derision is in fact aimed as I was painting this picture.

As for being a 'little snobbish'. I bitterly resent that. I do nothing in half measures.

No offense taken and I get the gist of your post. It rubs me wrong at times when I read posts that use stereo types to categorize Thai women or less well off Farangs. I grasp that this wasn't your intention.

I've never befriended a Thai BG, but assume they aren't much different than you and I. They sell their body to the highest bidder and dream of living a more comfortable life. Delusional Farangs that can't comprehend that it is a business transaction become angry after finding out that their money can't buy a womens trust.

As for financially challenged Farangs, they probably aren't any worse off in Thailand than back home. Just trying to enjoy a simple life with a few more pleasures than in their home country. Broke in Thailand is probably much better than broke back home. You are blessed with the ability and desire to save for a secure future. Most aren't and will scrape by wherever they land and this makes them poor but hopefully happy some days.

Visions of Rab C Nesbit's wife pole dancing, springs to mind. :D:D:D:o:D

Certainly not Thailands fault why i drink Sho, just when in Los too much time on my hands, will have to be more constructive and try and use immagination more, ...... or a double Jack n coke maybe

• 3 weeks later...
name='sbk' date='2008-07-16 02:37:25' post='2089249']

Not sure what "going for a burton" means, but I can guess :o

Gone for a Burton.

London Cockney rhyming slang. A town in Northern England.

Burton on Trent Meaning Went

Simple really,' Me old China.'

Jing jing, lor!

Anyone who thinks Burton is in the north of England cannot be trusted to provide the correct answer. Try these:-

Gone for a Burton comes from "Going for a Beer". During the Second World War it was used in black humour when someone died in battle. Usually the RAF. They had not died or had gone missing, they had only slipped out for a Beer. Burton's being one of the biggest Breweries and Brands of Beer at that time.

or

<LI>If something's gone for a burton, it has been spoiled or ruined. If a person has gone for a burton, they are either in serious trouble or have died.