What Does Somchai Mean?

peeglen

My Thai girlfriend called me somchai on the phone today and I wonder what it means. I doubt that it is anything negative but I couldn't find it in a thai dictionary or online, so here I am. I hope this is the right place to ask, sorry if it isn't.

Thanks!

My Thai girlfriend called me somchai on the phone today and I wonder what it means. I doubt that it is anything negative but I couldn't find it in a thai dictionary or online, so here I am. I hope this is the right place to ask, sorry if it isn't.

Thanks!

Google somchai meaning

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/m...of_Somchai.html

Thanks!

it would be helpful to know your real name, nationality and what language you use in your telcons. i guess your name is not somchai and you are not talking thai on the phone. i also guess, that you are far away from her right now. so for me it's very unlikely that she gave you a new name and it's very likely, that you did misunderstand her. maybe it was not 'somchai' (สมชาย), but either 'somdjai' (สมใจ), 'sondjai' (สนใจ) or even 'songdjai' (สองใจ), which all would make more sense somehow. 'djai' means 'heart' and is often used in emotions. 'som' means 'well matched, suitable' and 'somdjai' is a common pet name for lovers in thailand (สมใจ be satisfied with; content oneself with; achieve one 's purpose; be satisfying). 'sondjai' means "care for; pay attention to; take an interest in" (also: 'absent, missing') and may be used in a similar way. finally 'songdjai' would be less nice, because it means 'two hearts' (similar to 'song naa', two faces) and it is used as a common reproach for "having two lovers at the same time" (unfaithful, here perhaps used instead of the english phrase 'to butterfly).

only you can find out from the context, what she really meant and be aware of misunderstandings like that one:

my thai friend once said: "i warn you", me: "WHAT?", and again: "i warn you!". took me lots of patience and well-meaning until i found out that in fact was meant: "i WANT you!". and the problem was just correct pronounciation. you really need to have an ear for these minor differences and some experience with the most common mistakes and difficulties of thainglish.

good and free sources are: lexitron.nectec.or.th, thaieasyjob and thai2english.com, some giving synonyms, antonyms, examples, pronuciation and transliteration. good luck with your girlfriend

Edited by emelie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!

I've always understood it to be just a generic name for a Thai man. Like in America, Joe, or Tom, or Sam. I tend to use it when out and the girls ask me my name, tends to get a good laugh.

I do like the info on the babyname link, now I know why the girls laugh so hard when I say that !

P.S. do you think your girlfriend could have forgotten your name?

Edited by huggybear

Funny that there is a topic about Somchai! Last time I saw my TG I asked her should I have a Thai nickname. I then asked her "what do you think about the name 'Somchai'"? She just laughed and said "up to you!" So now when I call her on the torasap I say "Mister Somchai would like to speak to a lovely lady!"

So that is my nickname - Mister Somchai :o

Ps. I believe the owner of 13 coins restaurant is named Somchai.

Thanks guys, I think I probably got it wrong. I am far away and use a mobile so sometimes it's hard to hear clearly. She's not a bargirl (been there done that got the tee shirt) and if there's another boyfriend he'd be a farangutan for sure. I'll go with the more affectionate term for now as things are going well. Thanks for your help!

She called you another guy's name? :D He must have been closer than you at the time of the call. :o

Long distance love affairs don't usually workout. :D

Never heard Thais use Somchai like Tom, Dick or Harry. This is common with farangs, but not with Thai folks.

:D

Edited by ilyushin

• 2 months later...

Somchai is pronounced with a rising tone on the first syllable whereas the word for orange is pronounced with a falling tone.

The Thai spelling shows there is a difference:

สมชาย (สม-ชาย)

ส้ม

Because tones are phonemic (=determine meaning) in Thai, the two words are completely different, and to a Thai ear they sound as different as 'lice' and 'light' (or 'car' and 'tar') do to an English ear.

So ส้ม 'orange' has nothing to do with the สม 'som' in Somchai (which can mean 'fitting', 'appropriate' although perhaps there is yet another meaning of the word at play in this particular word.)

ชาย is 'male'

ผู้ชาย phuu chaai = man