Southern Insurgents Announce Ceasefire

george

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another episode in the ongoing Thai drama - if it wasn't so serious it would make a top viewing soapie.

I thought it was a soap opera when it came on television... did you see the cast of characters?

south.jpg

A man is watching a television broadcast of a group of people claimed to be leaders of southern insurgency on Thursday. They say they agree to a ceasefire in the restive South.

Bangkok Post

Edited by sriracha john

It's worked in Sri Lanka.... where the Tamil Tigers and the government have agreed to a ceasefire....... 1,922 times.

No... it was 1,923 times exactly.

I remember very well.

:o

Anyway, it's a big step forward : the counter of ceasefire for the South of Thailand -if confirmed- has passed from 0 to 1.

Indeed, an undeniable progress...

Ever seen fire crackers in the hands of children? No way they won't play with them. So it is withe armies, police, guerillas and terrorists.....

As much as I'd love to see peace so I can go back and explore that area again it sounds like a political ploy to me. Only time will tell!

Update:

Thai army is suspicious on ceasefire

The Thai army expressed doubts on the announcement to end the insurgency operation in the south, saying they have never known or contacted the group who claimed to be rebel leaders.

Thai Army spokesman Col Akra Thiprote said the army has never contacted or knew the three men who announced the ceasefire in the recorded video broadcast on televisions on Saturday.

The army is looking for involvement of the group to the insurgency in the south, he said.

"The army plays no role in the incident or any negotiation that led to the said ceasefire. We believe that it is the job of former army chief Gen Chetta Thanajaro and his team," the spokesman said.

It would be an excellent work if the ceasefire can restore peace and stability in the deep southern provinces of Thailand.

In spite of the announcement, the army will still be on alert to provide security for people.

The three men from a group calling themselves Tai Ruam Pak Tai Khong Prathet Thai appeared on television, saying that from July 14 onwards, all the militant and political units of our group will support peace formation in Thailand.

"It has been nearly 100 years since this conflict began so we hope to bring peace back to Thailand to help the people live well."

One of the three men, speaking in a Malay dialect, claimed to be in charge of 11 sets of insurgents including known militant groups called PULO and RKK. He called on other groups to end their activities.

However, some analysts expressed doubt about the claims, which came after bombs exploded on Wednesday outside two police stations in the violent border provinces of Yala and Pattani, wounding seven people.

-- The Nation 2008-07-17

Update:

Wadah leader says he does not know insurgent leader who announced truce

Den Tohmeena, leader of the Wadah group of politicians from the deep South, said Thursday that he did not know whether the insurgent leader who announced ceasefire were the real leader.

He said he could not verify which group or organization the person who made the ceasefire announcement belonged to.

Den said it has yet to be seen whether the southern violence would end as announced.

-- The Nation 2008-07-17

Thailand's southern army not told of ceasefire by insurgents

BANGKOK: -- The Fourth Army Region, responsible for security affairs in southern Thailand, on Thursday expressed surprise as it had not been informed before on a ceasefire in the restive South by separatist groups and announced by Gen. Chetta Thanajaro, leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana political party, an army spokesman said.

The spokesman said retired Gen. Chetta, a former defense minister, had not informed the Fourth Army Region commander Lt-Gen. Viroj Buacharoon about the ceasefire announced by the so-called Thailand United Southern Underground (TUSU) group earlier Thursday.

The southern army chief believed that the deal to stop bloody violence which has plagued the three restive southern provinces – Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat – was struck by civil society groups and people, especially those living in the South, he said.

Despite Thursday's announcement by three men claiming to represent 11 groups of insurgents, the military will continue to monitor insurgent movements until the situation returns to normal, the spokesman said, adding that Army chief Gen. Anupong Paochinda had not yet officially responded because the Army brass were taken by surprise.

He said legal action would be taken against outstanding lawbreakers even though violence resulting in death ceases.

More than 3,500 persons have been killed in the three troubled southern provinces since renewed violence broke out in January 2004.

Three representatives of the group announced on a pre-recorded televised broadcast, saying that they had negotiated a ceasefire beginning July 14. One of the three men, none of whom were identified, also urged other groups to end their violent activities.

However, the video was not broadcast until Thursday at noon.

Gen. Chetta said earlier that whether the situation in the region improves after the pledge by the insurgent groups will be seen in what actually happens, but that no conditions were given for stopping the violence.

"There's no political hidden agenda behind the plan," Gen. Chetta said. "I will take responsibility. This is considered a good sign and I'm confident the situation would improve compared to before."

However, Gen. Chetta said he would not guarantee that no violence would erupt in future.

Meanwhile, Boonsom Thongsriprai, president of the Southern Border Teachers Federation, said the ceasefire is considered good news for the people, but they still have to remain cautious because the daily violence still continues.

The announcement must be analysed and also studied by senior officials and concerned ministers, said Mr. Boonsom.

-- TNA 2008-07-17

Update:

Democrat MP expresses doubt over ceasefire announcement

Update:

Thai army is suspicious on ceasefire

Update:

Thaivisa members think ceasefire is bogus

Spelling mistake

Thaivisa member (no "s") thinks (<- move here) ceasefire is bogus

As far as I'm concern, you never been elected spokeperson,

back to the copy room !

As far as I'm concern, you never been elected spokesperson

Sorry SJ, to a PAD supporter I realized that the word "elected" may provoke an allergic reaction , so please allow me to change to "nominated spokesperson".

Edited by Pierrot

Well a number of those who are posting here are looking for some qualifications for this, and for example, Reuters are quoting

Analysts were sceptical of the ceasefire announcement. "The question is whether the government has talked to the right people and the right group. In the past, it has met people claiming to represent insurgents in the region, but the violence never stops," Panitan Wattanayagorn, a security expert at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University, said.
, so the jury would appear to be out.

By the by if you're going to send someone to the copy room it's a good idea to review your own usage such as concerned

Regards

As far as I'm concern, you never been elected spokesperson

Sorry SJ, to a PAD supporter I realized that the word "elected" may provoke an allergic reaction , so please allow me to change to "nominated spokesperson".

Seriously, you are a pathetic trolling poster and yet manage to get your posts, as short and diatribe as they might be, flawed with factual error.

Several members believe the truce to be a shame. So his post was correct.

From what I gather, this isn't an opportunity to tour the deep South. Not that I was going to.

You are completely right, I also don't trust this propaganda created by the government to take the views away from other urgent problems.

For your information, I'm a farang living since 2001 in Takbai, but now I say, enough is enough. I'm moving away to Hua Hin, where I found a quiet place. Unfortunately I have no chance to sell my house down there, but the lifes of my family members are more important. I'm very sorry, I liked that place, but now we feel like in the Middle East. Do not trust the fanatics !!

Seriously, you are a pathetic trolling poster and yet manage to get your posts, as short and diatribe as they might be, flawed with factual error.

Several members believe the truce to be a shame. So his post was correct.

Factual errors : I'm listening ....

"Several members" doesn't equal " Thaivisa members", which means all of them, or at least a majority of them. So the post, unless there is a poll that shows a majority of Thaivisa members agrees with it, is not correct.

Pathetic trolling poster : From you, allow me to take it as a compliment.

Spelling mistake

back to the copy room !

back to the troll room !

In case you didn't read these other members' posts, perhaps the 2nd time round will help...

I'll believe it when it really happens "NOT" !!!! :D
Does this group speak for the many different groups of insurgents or is this a lone group?

Yes need to be very sceptical

No believe! :o
Maybe I'm too cynical, but for whom do these people speak, and the timing is by anyone's view so synchronous as to raise more than a few concerns.
This is almost as absurd as
This is utterly mad. Who is this group? Why is there a ceasefire? Perhaps we'll never know.
Possibly, but highly unlikely to happen at this point in time
This is something that I want to believe is true, but I am a skeptic

there's more if you need them

Thai Muslim insurgents on Army TV5 announce surpise halt to southern violence

BANGKOK: -- Groups conducting the four-year-old Muslim separatist insurgency in Thailand's deep South have pledged to stop the violence in the region from noon Thursday, according to a pre-recorded tape broadcast on Bangkok's Army Channel 5 television station at noon Thursday.

The so-called Thailand United Southern Underground group announced on Thai national television that it would stop violence in Thai southern provinces and support peace.

Retired Army Gen. Chetta Thanajaro, leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana political party announced earlier that he will give a press conference at 2pm Thursday afternoon giving further details.

Gen. Chetta, a former defense minister, said the plan by insurgent groups to cease the violence which has occurred on an almost on a daily basis since January 2004 came after several rounds of "unofficial negotiations" aimed at ending the unrest, mainly in the three troubled southern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

Whether the situation in the region would improve after a pledge by the insurgent groups must be seen in what actually happens, he said, adding that no conditions were given for the stop to the violence.

"There's no political hidden agenda behind the plan," Gen. Chetta said. "I will take the responsibility. This is considered a good sign and I'm confident the situation would improve compared to before."

However, he said he would not guarantee that no bloodshed would erupt in future.

Over 3,500 persons have died in the ongoing violence since January 2004.

-- MCOT/TNA 2008-07-17

Southern insurgents announce ceasefire

A group of southern insurgents who called themselves the underground movement for the southern border provinces announced ceasefire in the deep South Thursday.

The so-called All Underground Movement of the deep South went on Cahnnel 7 to make announcement.

Its spokesman spoke in the Malay dialect and another spokesman translated in Thai.

The group said the it saw that it was about time for the group to stop the insurgency as the group wanted to remain with Thailand instead of fighting for an independence.

-- The Nation 2008-07-17

Chetta claims insurgents will end operations

Former defence minister Chetta Thanacharo said southern insurgents will stop their operations starting from noon Thursday in order to restore peace in the southern region.

He claimed he has engaged in a talk with their leaders, who vowed to stop their operations.

He said the statement was recorded on tape.

He also said he will hold a press conference on the matter again at 2pm.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-07-17

He who trusts, will be disappointed.

He who believes, will regret.

So awfully sorry.

Spelling mistake

back to the copy room !

back to the troll room !

All that I said is:

1/ You don't represent Thaivisa members

2/ Let's give peace a chance

I know you and your people are ready to everything to put this government down: military dictature, war with Cambodia, unrest everywhere ... I understand a ceasefire in the south would be a disaster for you.

But even if I'm suspicious of what's really going on, all I'm saying is give peace a chance.

Edited by Pierrot

I had several beautiful close friends who are from Yala and Pattani, and their speaking accent are far different than what those guys had talked in.

If the intention are to notify and force their group to cease fire, why are they talking in a complete Malaysia accent but not Yala or Pattani accent? I can completely understand what Malaysian people's accent but when my friends from Yala and Pattani speaks in their Jawi accent, I could hardly understand them.

I really pray and hope that things would finally settle down, so that we wouldnt have problem on both sides of the land.

When I passed the PAD mob station in Hat Yai, they talked about the subject and it seems that PAD's are putting negative statements on the topic again.

Amazing Thailand indeed.

Spelling mistake

back to the copy room !

back to the troll room !

All that I said is:

1/ You don't represent Thaivisa members

2/ Let's give peace a chance

I know you and your people are ready to everything to put this government down: military dictature, war with Cambodia, unrest everywhere ... I understand a ceasefire in the south would be a disaster for you.

But even if I'm suspicious of what's really going on, I say let's give peace a chance.

that's not all you said...

and in the context of what I wrote that you are disagreeing with, if you need further examples than what I've already quoted to reinforce what I wrote, it's not difficult to provide more examples.

There reason people are ready to put everything down from this government is because so much of what this government does deserves to be put down.

Give people a reason to believe in something and I think they will. If you want people to believe these 3 yokels on TV from "Central Casting" represent the Southern insurgency.... I don't think they'll buy it... and it seems that no one else is buying it, either...

Edited by sriracha john

Just another episode in the ongoing Thai drama - if it wasn't so serious it would make a top viewing soapie.

As I understand it, the problem in the South has been going on for a long time (since the Siamese annexed the Sultanate of Pattani in the mid 19th century) but it was enflamed by Jompon Por's (Pibulsongkram's) dicatorial efforts to Siamise the Malay inhabitants in the 40s and 50s. Periodic upsurges of resistance activity followed by quieter periods then continued until Thaksin Shinawatra decided to replace the cosy military-resistance-criminal compromise down there by transferring authority to the police.

I might have this all mixed up, but that's my memory of the history.

I'm sure though that the people of Pattani (incl Yala and Narathiwat) will never accept what they see as Thai-Buddhist attempts to marginalize their language, religion and culture.

... until Thaksin Shinawatra decided to replace the cosy military-resistance-criminal compromise down there by transferring authority to the police.

Could you please clarify ? What was the "the cosy military-resistance-criminal compromise" ? And how did the changes initiated by Thaksin altered this "cosy compromise" ?

fade out from Southern Insurgency leaders on Camera 1...

fade in on government's Foreign Minister on Camera 2...

slight zoom on the Minister's hopeful face on Camera 3..... Standby... Silence on the set...

and on 3..... 2.... 1.... Cue Surapong... Mr. Minister, you're on...

Surapong optimistic about better trade in South

Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said he believes southern border trading and tourism will improve after a group claiming to be leaders of southern insurgency announced a ceasefire. Surapong said trade, especially in Hat Yai district of Songkhla, should improve after the ceasefire. He added that overall economic picture should also be better in the next few

Cut to commercial....

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128914

Edited by sriracha john

fade in to REALITY...

Soldiers ambushed in Yala despite truce announcement

Yala - One soldier was severely injured when patrol unit was ambushed by insurgents shortly after a group claiming to be their leaders announced a truce on TVs.

The shooting occurred at 2:30 pm on Krong Penang - Bannang Sata Road in Ruemu village in Tambon Krong Penang of Krong Penang district.

The unit was patrolling the road on a pick-up truck when au unknown number of insurgents opened fire at them.

A group claiming to be leaders of underground insurgent groups in southern border provinces went on Channel 5 at noon to announce that all insurgents would abandon armed fighting now.

The Nation

fade out

fade out from Southern Insurgency leaders on Camera 1...

fade in on government's Foreign Minister on Camera 2...

slight zoom on the Minister's hopeful face on Camera 3..... Standby... Silence on the set...

and on 3..... 2.... 1.... Cue Surapong... Mr. Minister, you're on...

Surapong optimistic about better trade in South

Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee said he believes southern border trading and tourism will improve after a group claiming to be leaders of southern insurgency announced a ceasefire. Surapong said trade, especially in Hat Yai district of Songkhla, should improve after the ceasefire. He added that overall economic picture should also be better in the next few

Cut to commercial....

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=128914

And your point is ...???

fade in to REALITY...

Soldiers ambushed in Yala despite truce announcement

Yala - One soldier was severely injured when patrol unit was ambushed by insurgents shortly after a group claiming to be their leaders announced a truce on TVs.

The shooting occurred at 2:30 pm on Krong Penang - Bannang Sata Road in Ruemu village in Tambon Krong Penang of Krong Penang district.

The unit was patrolling the road on a pick-up truck when au unknown number of insurgents opened fire at them.

A group claiming to be leaders of underground insurgent groups in southern border provinces went on Channel 5 at noon to announce that all insurgents would abandon armed fighting now.

The Nation

fade out

It's clear a ceasefire in the south would be very bad news for organization opposing the government

It's a bit sad to realize that some individual will actually rejoice every time people will be killed or maimed in the south.

Edited by Pierrot

Hmmm, let's see, we're all supposed to trust folks who behead completely innocent farmers and brutalize everyone that they possibly can?

This could be a ploy to make folks feel safe when there could be a major attack planned in reality.

I honestly hope this is a real peace offering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

Yeah, those who know about the doctrine they subscribe to, we can only be scepticle and suspicious.

For starters...

Qur'an 9:3 "Allah is not bound by any contract or treaty with non-Muslims, nor is His Apostle."

Qur'an 9:7 "How can there be a covenant between Allah and His Messenger and the disbelievers"

Qur'an 97:5 "There is peace until the dawning of the day!"

And then there is this... the deception...

Bukhari:V7B67N427 "The Prophet said, 'If I take an oath and later find something else better than that, then I do what is better and expiate my oath.'"

Qur'an 9:3 "Allah and His Messenger dissolve obligations."

Qur'an 66:1 "Allah has already sanctioned for you the dissolution of your vows."

Bukhari:V4B52N268 "Allah's Apostle said, 'War is deceit.'"

Qur'an 4:142 "Surely the hypocrites strive to deceive Allah. He shall retaliate by deceiving them."

I cant find the hadith at the moment, but there is also a concept of making peace or a treaty, only until they have amassed enough strength to fight again.... then break it, as in the above verses.

But then again, they may have lost favor with their rebel allies in Malaysia... or simply got a better deal with the Thai authorities.

We are all so quick to judge other religions for this mess. Understandably religion has been the basis of many battles and quarrels over the centuries. Look in the Bible and you can take out many quotes like this and either misuse or misinterpret them. Christians have also done a lot of killing in the past. Maybe we should not say Muslims or Islamism are all at fault but more put the blame on religion and extremist of their beliefs.

... until Thaksin Shinawatra decided to replace the cosy military-resistance-criminal compromise down there by transferring authority to the police.

Could you please clarify ? What was the "the cosy military-resistance-criminal compromise" ? And how did the changes initiated by Thaksin altered this "cosy compromise" ?

Not all that well. I got it from my wife who got it from Sondhi Limthonkul and then I sat in on a casual conversation with some friends and a US political analyst advising companies etc on security and related Thai issues, so I haven't got a strong case. However, I suppose if the crims took someone out they could blame it on the resistance; if the resistance did, they could blame it on the crims, and the military didn't mind if these guys were sorting things out in their own way as long as the military weren't being taken out. I don't know what happened if they started taking out innocent people. I don't think they did that so much until it all started going wrong in about 2003, and Sondhi L. argued it was because of Thaksin's new management policy down there, but I don't know why or how the police would upset the apple cart.

Justice Minister says he did not knew about ceasefire announcement before

Justice Minister Sompong Amornwiwat said he has not been informed of a ceasefire announcement by the Thai United Southern Underground Group before, but there might be some ministers who knew about the announcement before it was made public.

The minister suggested that the media should ask Army Chief Gen.Anupong Paochinda about the matter. As for former Defence Minister Chettha Thanajaro, who arranged the announcement, Sompong says Chettha might be assigned by the government in a confidential manner to work on the announcement.

The minister also voiced agreement with the announcement which he considers as a good sign.

He says whether the announcement is a false can be proved within a few days. *how about an actual hour and a half?* If there is no shooting, the announcement is true. *and if there is a shooting, the announcement is.....*

Asked whether Chettha’s role in the matter had any political significance such as the Cabinet reshuffle, the minister said Chettha’s Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Party already has a ministerial quota, but it depends on the premier whether to adjust it.

Sompong said the ministry’s operation in the Southern border provinces will continue despite the ceasefire as the ministry’s main responsibility concerns the protection of rights and justice, not crime suppression.

- ThaiNews / 17-07-08

Edited by sriracha john

The three who showed up for the actor's auditioning call.... I half expected one of the fake mustaches to start peeling away under the hot studio lights...

1216287324.jpg

Thailand's southern army not told of ceasefire by insurgents

BANGKOK, July 17 (TNA) - The Fourth Army Region, responsible for security affairs in southern Thailand, on Thursday expressed surprise as it had not been informed before on a ceasefire in the restive South by separatist groups and announced by Gen. Chetta Thanajaro, Leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana political party, an army spokesman said.

The spokesman said retired Gen. Chetta, a former Defense Minister, had not informed the Fourth Army Region commander Lt-Gen. Viroj Buacharoon about the ceasefire announced by the so-called Thailand United Southern Underground (TUSU) group earlier Thursday.

Three representatives of the group announced on a pre-recorded televised broadcast, saying that they had negotiated a ceasefire beginning July 14. One of the three men, none of whom were identified, also urged other groups to end their violent activities.

However, the video was not broadcast until Thursday at noon.

Chetta said earlier that whether the situation in the region improves after the pledge by the insurgent groups will be seen in what actually happens, but that no conditions were given for stopping the violence.

"There's no political hidden agenda behind the plan," Chetta said.