Can't Get Taxi At Arrivals Level

Flew in last night and when I walked up to the arrivals level and went outside I didn't see any taxis about. So after closer inspection I noticed that the procedure for the taxis is that they must drop off customer at the "B" area (great for customers going to J, K, etc... :o ) and then get into the right lane which is gated off for the entire length of the arrivals area. So now the entire taxi drop-off area of 3 or 4 lanes is down to the 1 outside lane so the taxis can't pick up passengers there. There are also a few police hanging around the B area where the taxis are dropping customers off so they can't pick anyone up. They weren't doing this at 6AM when I went to the airport last week, so I assume it's only a night thing when traffic is light.

I sucked it up and realized I'd have to pay the 50 baht downstairs, which is when I realized living here has made me a real penny pincher. When I got into the taxi I noticed the meter was already at 1.8km. I told the driver to reset it and he started up with "What? What? Says 35 baht. Why? Why? It's OK, see, 35 baht." After not saying a word but giving him a long hard stare he finally reset it and went on with "only 10 baht, only 10 baht" which is what 2km would cost. To repay his kindness I busted his chops a bit by studying the complaint card for a good part of the trip, and the only tip he got from me was "No tip for people who try to steal from me." as I got out.

Departures (check in counters for flights departing SBIA) are on level four (4).

Arrivals (including Immigration, baggage claim and Customs) are on level two (2). The official metered taxi stand(s) are on level 2.

You seem to be confusing the two different levels. Police routinely sweep level 4, departures, to discourage taxis from picking up customers so I choose not to waste any time going up to level 4.

I think some drivers turn the meter on at the taxi parking lot over near the transportation center (where they pay a fee to enter, and wait until they are dispatched to the main passenger terminal building and taxi stand on level 2), hence the 1.8 Km starting "distance".

Edited by lomatopo

Departures (check in counters for flights departing SBIA) are on level four (4).

Arrivals (including Immigration, baggage claim and Customs) are on level two (2). The official metered taxi stand(s) are on level 2.

You're right. What I meant to say was the departures level was where this was happening.

This is the first time I have had a problem getting a taxi from there in 10 or so trips this past year.

So let me get this right. You're complaining about being ripped off for ten baht when you - yourself - are trying to pull a fast one by picking up the taxis at departures?

Frankly, I have little sympathy. If you are trying to flout the system, you can hardly complain if the drivers do the same.

I arrived back home last night (11p) and as usual with the other Thailand based crew we went upstairs to the dropoff area for departures and there were about 12 taxi lined up. I don't even bother going downstairs to get a taxi as it takes longer waiting in the queue. With tolls to Satorn cost was 270baht. Yes, sometimes I have to remind them to set the meter, but rarely, but I always check.

Not to change the topic but was coming in from Hong Kong and was talking to other crew about how "passenger" friendly HKG airport is with many amenities and everything works great. Last night we had to walk all the way to immigration as only one of the escalator walkways was working! Two of the Thai crew just shook their heads in disgust and I just thought typical.

But will say I got a big smile and a hello from the Thai immigration officer!

You're right. What I meant to say was the departures level was where this was happening.

This is the first time I have had a problem getting a taxi from there in 10 or so trips this past year.

I saw the gated area too for the first time, but nevertheless had no problems getting a cab at departure level on wednesday, 16th. there were a few taxis waiting at the arrival area B (domestic), or just dropping a passenger there. lucky me arrived at domestic terminal, so not much of a walk....

but the arriving cabs only have little space now, cannot congregate on the entire length of the terminal anymore....

usually, when I only carry a business case or small bag with me, I go to departure area. if I have bigger checked-in luggage, I rather use the regular 50-baht-Fee counter downstairs.....

So let me get this right. You're complaining about being ripped off for ten baht when you - yourself - are trying to pull a fast one by picking up the taxis at departures?

Frankly, I have little sympathy. If you are trying to flout the system, you can hardly complain if the drivers do the same.

:o:D:D:D:D:(

Somehow you read that and thought I was looking for sympathy, and from you no less?

And which "system" are you referring to here? The one that allows touts to wander around the airport arrival, departure, and check-in(!!) areas? The one that plastered signs all over the baggage claims stating that all taxis other than AOT limos are illegal? The one with rogue customs officers harassing tourists?

I'll leave the honor of being a fine and upstanding farang who grabs their ankles every time they arrive at Suvarnabhumi to you. If you'd like, I'll make you a badge to wear as well, so the "system" will be able to more easily identify you and give you the appropriate treatment.

I also flew in last night and had no problem getting a taxi on the top floor (departures). I hope this doesn't change since, it's not about the 50 baht, its about waiting in line behind 100 other people in the seering heat after your flight.

edit: I flew in 18th

Edited by OxfordWill

:o:D:D:D:D:(

Somehow you read that and thought I was looking for sympathy, and from you no less?

And which "system" are you referring to here? The one that allows touts to wander around the airport arrival, departure, and check-in(!!) areas? The one that plastered signs all over the baggage claims stating that all taxis other than AOT limos are illegal? The one with rogue customs officers harassing tourists?

Tuddy ole boy, is that you......????

Well spotted. Who else could it be. The avatar is a bit of a giveaway too.

How in the world did you get a job as an attorney with that level of logical deduction?

Even with 6 billion people on the Earth, I surely must be somebody you already know because I hurt your feelings. :o

Mortenaa's question is still valid: "are you for real" or just kidding?

If just kidding, your sight of the detestable farang, the one who would make the Thais hate us all, the one we would be ashamed to be his fellow is well done. Cheers!

If for real, just think the taxi driver has to pay the rental of the taxi, police bribes, gas, food for his family, school expenses for children, tips when he uses services, etc. and that the taxi rates did not increase since dozens of years.

I arrived back home last night (11p) and as usual with the other Thailand based crew we went upstairs to the dropoff area for departures and there were about 12 taxi lined up. I don't even bother going downstairs to get a taxi as it takes longer waiting in the queue. With tolls to Satorn cost was 270baht. Yes, sometimes I have to remind them to set the meter, but rarely, but I always check.

Not to change the topic but was coming in from Hong Kong and was talking to other crew about how "passenger" friendly HKG airport is with many amenities and everything works great. Last night we had to walk all the way to immigration as only one of the escalator walkways was working! Two of the Thai crew just shook their heads in disgust and I just thought typical.

But will say I got a big smile and a hello from the Thai immigration officer!

i remember when the airport opened you used to go downstairs to get a taxi but now you get your taxi from the arrivals floor. no need to go downstairs. As for waiting times, i never wait more than 5 minutes for a taxi so cant be bother to go upstairs.

An for those of you going upstairs to save 50 Baht - come on have a look at yourselves!!

If for real, just think the taxi driver has to pay the rental of the taxi, police bribes, gas, food for his family, school expenses for children, tips when he uses services, etc. and that the taxi rates did not increase since dozens of years.

:o

oh yes they did, very, very recently.

Bangkok Post July 4th...

"Operators of Bangkok's elevated train and subway are looking forward to increased ridership now that taxi fares have risen by an average of 12% per trip. The starting rate for taxis yesterday rose to 35 baht for the first kilometre instead of two kilometres before.

The fares would then be increased to five baht per kilometre for the second to twelfth kilometres, 5.50 baht a kilometre for the 12th to 20th km, six baht a kilometre for the 20th to 40th km, 6.50 baht a kilometre for the 40th to 60th km, 7.50 baht a kilometre for the 60th to 80th km, and 8.50 baht a kilometre beyond that. "

Edited by Lancashirelad

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe the OP of this post, 10 baht..... :o Surely you must be joking??? Do you have a seizure when you have to pay for a taxi in HK, NYC, Stockholm, or anywhere else for that matter?

I bet you clip coupons when you shop at Big C too.

Lighten up dude, as others state the taxi driver needs to feed and support his family. I don't really think that he was purposely trying to get over on you and rip you off.

Let me ask you this, when you eat Thai food and they toss in that unknowing extra fly or mealworm do you pay any extra baht?