Jomtien To Rayong

sotsira

Located in Jomtien, would there be a shorter route on to highway 36, than having to go all the way to Naklua on the sukumvit and then back on yourself to head for Rayong?

I live nearby Jomtien beach Rd and Thepprasit Rd.

Located in Jomtien, would there be a shorter route on to highway 36, than having to go all the way to Naklua on the sukumvit and then back on yourself to head for Rayong?

Just head down to Satahip on Sukumvit untill you see a right turn at the lights signposted Rayong, Take this road and it rejoins the Sukumvit road cutting the satahip corner, thru Ban Chang and on to Rayong

Or you can just head south on Sukumvit and follow the road all the way round to Rayong.

Or get a bus

Please ignore the above, as it will just take you on a loooong route back to Highway 3.

There are several ways to get to the 36 from Jomtien - all are much quicker than taking the Naklua route from Jomtien.

Take the Highway 3 (Sukhumvit) towards Sattahip. Turn left at...

1) traffic lights (into Hua Yai road - signposted route 331)

2) Ban Amphur, 7/11 on the corner (signposted for Phoenix Golf)

3) approx 2.5 km past Ban Amphur (signposted to Lakeside? vinyard)

All these roads (and others) take you to 'T' junctions with route 331, where you need to turn left (NOT right).

You will come to the junction of the 331 with the 36, where you need to join the Bangkok (north-bound) carriageway of the 36.

As soon as you have joined the 36 you need to take a U-turn onto the Rayong (south-bound) carriageway. The U-turn is upon you very quickly, so take care (or just carry on to the next one).

At the moment there are roadworks on the Hua Yai road, so the Phoenix Golf route is quickest. However, if you want a more scenic route (and brand new road surface) take the vinyard route, which is only 5 mins or so longer.

Please ignore the above, as it will just take you on a loooong route back to Highway 3.

There are several ways to get to the 36 from Jomtien - all are much quicker than taking the Naklua route from Jomtien.

All these roads (and others) take you to 'T' junctions with route 331, where you need to turn left (NOT right).

You will come to the junction of the 331 with the 36, where you need to join the Bangkok (north-bound) carriageway of the 36.

As soon as you have joined the 36 you need to take a U-turn onto the Rayong (south-bound) carriageway. The U-turn is upon you very quickly, so take care (or just carry on to the next one).

At the moment there are roadworks on the Hua Yai road, so the Phoenix Golf route is quickest. However, if you want a more scenic route (and brand new road surface) take the vinyard route, which is only 5 mins or so longer.

Thanks for your info, very helpful

:o

Sorry to add a snippy comment but,,,,,,,,,,,,I learned the roads by buying a few road maps and some map software at the local bookstores and I learned the roads and which is the "quickest" and "shortest" and whatever other adjectives for driving you want. There is no quickest way because the day you go anything can change that route into the longest without notice. If you have some maps and knowledge then you can choose alternates.

From some of the posts I see you have about 5 different choices and with road work you never know anyway.

If you want the quickest way,,,,,,,,,,,,"beam me up Scotty"!!

Mr leggs I chalenge you to a race "Gumball style" you go left and i go right on the 331 to Tesco car park Rayong. Box of chang to the winner! :o

There are indeed several ways to get from Jomtien down to Map Ta Phut and everyone has their favorite. I think the shortest way is the Big Bhudda road and turn right on 331. I don’t think turning left and going back to 36 is a good way at all.

There is another short cut off of 331 that takes you into Ban Chang the back way, cutting off the corner if following 331, and from there you can turn left onto Sukhumvit. Been a while since I have done it, but seem to remember you turn left onto 331 and only go a few hundred meters before turning right onto what looks like a very small road.

Mr leggs I chalenge you to a race "Gumball style" you go left and i go right on the 331 to Tesco car park Rayong. Box of chang to the winner! :o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OP ask for a better way to get onto the 36 - rather than going North to Naklua, then turning back?

Also, did he mention he was going to Tesco? If so, his best and quickest route might be straight along the Highway 3, depending on the time of day and traffic conditions (even quicker, use the South Pattaya Tesco instead).

I have always found it quicker to use the 36, as there are fewer traffic lights, a lot less traffic and much greater speed can be used safely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OP ask for a better way to get onto the 36 - rather than going North to Naklua, then turning back?

Also, did he mention he was going to Tesco? If so, his best and quickest route might be straight along the Highway 3, depending on the time of day and traffic conditions (even quicker, use the South Pattaya Tesco instead).

I have always found it quicker to use the 36, as there are fewer traffic lights, a lot less traffic and much greater speed can be used safely.

Mmm yes , looking again at the op you may be right. It dose all depend on final destination

It would appear that the OP was asking for a quicker way to Rayong (and I am assuming it is actually Map Ta Phut) and appeared to think the only way to get to there was via Hiway 36. I agree that an argument could be made that getting on Hiway 36 at or around the intersection at Hiway 331 or Siam CC and then on to Rayong may a good way. But, having made that commute for some time several years ago (and after the widening of Hiway 36 in 2001) I don’t think so. It takes way too long to get onto Hiway 36 from Jomtien and you are traveling to opposite direction you need to go the entire time. Maybe when the new cutoff from Hiway 7 into Pattaya and Sukhumvit Bypass is done, it might be faster, but I don’t think it is now.

When I was doing that drive everyday, it was something of a game among us to try and find new shortcuts and to see who could do it in the shortest time.

TH

Mmm yes , looking again at the op you may be right. It dose all depend on final destination

Does this mean that the race is off and I can put my McLaren F1 back in the garage?

I hope so, as it only gets 2km to the litre.

Does this mean that the race is off and I can put my McLaren F1 back in the garage?

The challenge has been made. I will be in Ban Chang for 6 weeks from this saturday see you in the "wherehouse" .You will know im there my 12 seater f1 mini buss will be parked outside.

Edited by banchang

The challenge has been made. I will be in Ban Chang for 6 weeks from this saturday see you in the "wherehouse" .You will know im there my 12 seater f1 mini buss will be parked outside.

This would be an unfair contest - everyone knows that 12-seater minibuses are the quickest thing on the road in Thailand (not including concrete wagons of course).

Just head down to Satahip on Sukumvit untill you see a right turn at the lights signposted Rayong, Take this road and it rejoins the Sukumvit road cutting the satahip corner, thru Ban Chang and on to Rayong

Or you can just head south on Sukumvit and follow the road all the way round to Rayong.

That is certainly the quickest way! I would avoid the Bug Buddha route.

Or get a bus

I think this should be LEFT turn.

All this talk for a simple route. You can take highway three all the way or you can take 3 until you come to 332. Turn left on 332 and it cuts cross country and joins back up with 3. Taking 332 is a little shorter.

• 1 month later...

I just did the trip from Jomtien to Rayong using route 1 above and coming back on 36 and Sukhumvit.

Route 1 was 1.2 km shorter in distance but 15 minutes longer in time.

I guess that route 2 and 3 will be longer in both time and distance than route 1.

Depends on where in Rayong you want to go to but if your aim is to get to the 36 by the quickest route I drive this EVERY day.

Go up Thepprasit and turn right onto Sukhumvit. Turn left at lights onto Chaipruek Road 2, follow road to T-junction with school entrance opposite, turn left. When you come to a crossroads turn right and you are on the Huay Yai Road (this is 5 minutes quicker than turning at the Huay Yai junction with Sukhumvit).

Follow this road all the way until you come to a T-junction and turn left, the 36 is 2 kms further on. Go over the bridge and do a U-turn to get onto the 36 rather than follow the signposts.

If you're heading to Map Tha Phut Industrial Estate? there's a better way than using the 36.