Fresh blood!

cathyy

My husband and I are thinking of retiring in LOS in about 3 years. We will be visiting next October/November to see how we like it there.  We will visit friends in Khorat and then go up to Chiang Mai, where we think we want to live.

Based on 1983-1987 when I lived in the PI, I should like it fine. My husband is completely unfamiliar with any different culture. But he doesn't drink alcohol, and I'm trying to get him to take the risk of involvement with bar girls seriously. He sees himself as immune. I know his naive and helpful nature puts him at risk if he is exposed. But much exposure seems unlikely.  We prefer to stay home, do our secret stuff (hobbies) and run out together to get a bite to eat.

Now on to the question: I have found a couple of websites online for new housing developments in the Chiang Mai area. Are these legitimate, and are the prices posted realistic?

http://www.homeinpark.com/html/main.html

http://www.chiangmairealty.com/new.htm

thanks for any and all advice!

foreighners generally speaking cant own land in thailand -only lease it for a ceartain time 30 yrs i think ,why not rent one for a year or so ?that way youve lost nothing :o

That's precisely what we plan to do.  We will rent for a while, and then do the 30 yr lease, with 30 yr renewal. It gives us plenty of time to figure out what we want for how we choose to live there. I can't imagine anyone not cheerfully accepting purchase price for a place, knowing that they or their children will be able to sell it or lease it again.  And the heirs here have no real interest in Thai property.

knowing that they or their children will be able to sell it

Well it is not like this exactly.

You can own the house but not the land on which the house is. When expired the leasing you are still the owner of the house and transmit to your heirs that can sell it.

See the link below :

http://www.phuket-realestate-law.com/law/l...d_ownership.htm

Although it is not explained, I think that after expiry of leasing you(or your heirs) will have a right of passage on the land. Ask well a lawyer on this.

I'm in Chiang Mai now. 4,000 Baht will get you a very simple one or two bedroom unfurnished house. Once you get around 10,000 especailly if you live a little outside the city, you can get quite a decent house (2 stories, 3 bedrooms type). Then there are the housing developments where a lot of the diplomat types lives. Nai Fun comes to mind. I looked at some places there for around 40,000 to 70,000 a month. Very safe, very secure. These are very houses that any Westerner could feel very comfortable in. Everything built to Western standards. So it just depends what you are looking for as far as price.

As far as who to trust, I think its best to come out here and stay at a hotel or guest house and do your research from this end. That chiangmairealty.com is one of the more advertised agents in town, but I don't have experience with them so I can't comment too much.

And I don't think any man is 100% immune to the bar girls!

me again!--one thing to consider when buying a property in los is the build quality- (or the lack of it!),i always take time out during my visits to los to check out newly built houses (im an electrician )some are very well built ,but others are absolute rubbish!.i saw a development on phuket last year ,the houses were built into the side of a hill just outside patong going towards karon ,i would be suprised if they are still standing !. i cant see the builder giving back any money in the event of structural problems :o