Are Refrigerated Counter Drawers Available?

I have a friend whose kitchen includes a center island that has two built in refrigerated drawers. I did a search online and there are several different models available in the U.S. One of the first things I plan on doing when I finally retire in Thailand is remodel our kitchen, and this might make a good addition. Has anyone seen such a thing available in LOS??

Dave you CAN buy most anything in Thailand if you want to spend an outrageous amount of money. We do NOT have, nor would we buy any Refrigerator Drawers in our kitchen in Thailand. Just check the review in Consumer Reports Magazine on line or the August 2007 issue. If in the USA they are "Overpriced" you can only fathom what they will be in Thailand. Just contact SZ/WOLF ASIA-Pacific in the Fenix Tower of Bangkok about Sub-Zero or see the price in Thailand for the 24" inch Electrolux stainless steel refrigerator drawer. I have visited the official GE consumer appliance importer for Thailand, TITANCO International on Sukhumvit 63. Those "imported" GE side by side fridges from MEXICO, KOREA or the USA were a fortune. To make it worse the sales manager was very blunt about any "after the sales" service out of Bangkok. Expensive to buy and very expensive to service GE appliances in Thailand. Now there is no shortage of domestically manufactured Hair, Sanyo, and other more reputable brands of wine coolers and "college dorm size" fridges you commonly see in hotel rooms. They certainly go under nice kitchen counters in serviced apartments in Bangkok. These are NOT expensive and you will get service.

In my opinion the "refrigerator drawer' appliance would take a highly trained technician to INSTALL and good luck getting service if you live away from Bangkok. I had excellent service from Siemens to send a trained intelligent repair person to solve a problem with a Siemens HOB, but I would never buy an overpriced DAEWOO built - Siemens badged refrigerator when I can buy a Panasonic Inverter Fridge and get free delivery, intelligent installation and warranty service from a local independent appliance shop. Fisher & Paykel appliances, which NEVER rate high in Consumer Reports, are made in several countries including Thailand. They market a "CoolDrawer" in America so you might contact this firm via e-mail to obtain the price and SERVICE situation in your location of Thailand. To properly install electricity for any "drawer" refrigeration you will have to be very careful with your selection of electrical contractor. Drainage from your center island would be another consideration.

If you visit the ACMEN KITCHEN ARENA in Bangkok on Sukhumvit 63 or any of the HAFELE showrooms you can see incredible Kitchen display rooms. There is a locally owned six location chain of large Home Improvement stores named BOONTHAVORN who have a web site in Thai and English by the same name. I have only visited the RATCHADAPISEK Road location and the Kitchen selection was larger and better than any Home Depot or Lowe's I had ever seen in California. This store as well as the ACMEN Kitchen Arena and Hafele Showrooms all have at least one sales person who speaks and understands English.

The "devil is the details" in Thailand. Purchasing something might be easy if you have the right budget, but consider installation and after the sales service. Wealthy Thai citizens might have very high end kitchen appliances for "face" and they usually live in Bangkok and can get service. I can not say food tastes any better on the Siemens Ceramic Cook top HOB than on our previous 1400 baht Lucky Flame cooker both bought from Buriram Supply near the Bamboo Bar in Buriram Province.

What is CHEAP compared to America is getting quality GRANITE Kitchen Counter-tops installed and custom cabinets made and installed. You can usually get a reputable store in Thailand to design your "new" or remodeled kitchen at little or no cost.

I also believe that no mater how plain or beautiful your kitchen in Thailand turns out, your Thai "family" will still enjoy dining on the floor of the kitchen or a wooden "Tung" rather than at any table you might ever buy.

post-20604-1216622663_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216622926_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216623046_thumb.jpg

post-20604-1216623335_thumb.jpg

I feel sooo old -- I've never heard of any such thing.

Refrigerated kitchen counter drawers don't sound very efficient or economical to me. I think I'll put them on my list of "must have" items just under an electric dog polisher.