Here We Go Again

tuktukmike

Well its happening all over again here in Hua Hin,

We have a new head of the Police and now all the bars have been told they must close at 12pm.

This same thing happened about two years ago, do the people in charge never learn. clearly they have no regard for tourism as if they find a bar open the police march in and demand everyone leaves. and not politely.

The funny thing is that the Hilton and other large establishments seem to be able to carry on as normal, (any thoughts anyone)

Mike

New head of police needs to recoup all the money he spent in buying his new position. Hence the squeeze on bars (and probably other things that don't involve foreigners much).

As for the Hilton, etc. Well, cops tend to pick on those they can bully around. I suspect that the Hilton is well enough connected (property owner is undoubtedly a wealthy and influential Thai) and the management company is a multinational company that could raise any inconvenience to a trade issue via the US embassy, if need be. I suppose that the prices at the Hilton and other establishments also mean that they are full of the "quality" tourist that Thailand now wants. Wouldn't want to inconvenience them too much!

So what are they saying is the reason for closing these bars early, or are they giving one? From what I remember, the reason they were going to do the same thing in Bangkok was to crack down on prostitution. If that is the intention in Hua Hin then closing the bars down early isn't so bad right? Unless of course you want it to become another Pattaya. I know that those of us who go there as an alternative to Pattaya would be disappointed if that happened. Whether or not closing down bars early does help reduce it is, of course, another matter.

You can't blame the authorities for trying though.

I suppose that the prices at the Hilton and other establishments also mean that they are full of the "quality" tourist that Thailand now wants.  Wouldn't want to inconvenience them too much!

I thought that the Hilton with its location was the meeting place for the young ladies once their bars had closed. If so then while the 'quality' of the tourist might be somewhat improved - lol the 'quality' of the local might well be same same.

Not that i know from first hand experience

I suppose that the prices at the Hilton and other establishments also mean that they are full of the "quality" tourist that Thailand now wants.  Wouldn't want to inconvenience them too much!

I thought that the Hilton with its location was the meeting place for the young ladies once their bars had closed.

Not that i know from first hand experience

Last time I was in The Hilton I was talking to a couple of girls from London, they described it as "a bit of a meat market"...! :o

totster :D

While the reasoning behind closing bars early is to prevent thai youth from being corrupted and improving thailands image overseas the reality as has been discussed in numerous threads on TV is somewhat different.

Just take a look at what is happening in lower Sukhumvit in Bangkok. Instead of the areas of ill repute being confined to one or two small areas- Nana, Cowboy- now come the witching hour the whole of sukhumvit from Nana to Cowboy becomes one long bar. So the reality is no change just moved on

I am certainly no prude and have visited such bars but to see it flaunted on the main streets in such a manner is not good for anyone. It becomes totally unregulated dangerous for both girls and customers and very upsetting for local residents. - a real eyesore

When i come to work along sukhumvit around 6'ish some mornings the street still has a fair number of last nights remnants.

Should this situation continue I can easily see additional measures being taken against those enjoying the delights of lower sukhumvit

My view is that it is better for everyone if it can be confined to small specific area -ie entertainment zones with appropriate opening times

good point qwerty,

it certainly is better if adult entertainment is located in certain areas with a bit of control over it so that everyone going out "normally" can have their own places instead of go-go bars and the like scattered all over the city :o

So what are they saying is the reason for closing these bars early, or are they giving one? From what I remember, the reason they were going to do the same thing in Bangkok was to crack down on prostitution. If that is the intention in Hua Hin then closing the bars down early isn't so bad right? Unless of course you want it to become another Pattaya. I know that those of us who go there as an alternative to Pattaya would be disappointed if that happened. Whether or not closing down bars early does help reduce it is, of course, another matter.

The chances of Hua HIn becoming another Pattaya about the same as Norwich winning the Premiership in the next 200 years. The logic that closing bars early has any influence on prostitution is equally ridiculous. The oldest profession is governed surely more by factors such as supply and demand rather than by opening hours. Personally i am in bed by 10 pm especially when in HH.

You talk about Hua Hin...

Police in Bangkok has been distributing letters stating the new closing time will be midnight...., as of today! (distribution of letter was last week)

Let's see what happens tonite, but this sounds real stupid.

As a real example...

My parents arrived this morning from Europe. By hearing that the bars and clubs etc. might be closed at midnight they were extremely surprised. They are well within the bracket of 'high spending' tourists, as T. administrations sees it. If it was their choice they might have selected another destination, as one of the benefits of vacation is that one does not need to look at any clock....

I reckon there are many more who will experience this once and will make a different choice later...

Bye tourist Dollars, Euro's etc.

12pm it just gets worse and worse :D Was planning on gettin the bus/kattamerang trip thing down to hua hin -> koh tao -> samui, from Bangkok when 3 or 4 friends come over @ the end of the month..

Looks like thats just been changed for a direct flight 2 samui.. Cant help but think there will be a few disappointed looks from these guys when there told no more beers @ 12pm :o

good to see there are no "values voters" here on this thread.

what i understand is the early closing rules were enforced to keep the kids off the streets and away from drugs. they kind of run parallel to the strict age enforcement thing. they irony is, kids will be kids, and they will always find somewhere else to go get their fun. us adults are relatively ill adept at finding a new hole to crawl to hence all this whinging on the board. i am not so convinced on the argument about this being negative for the economy because it merely shifts whatever tax revenue from dodgy non-tax paying establishments to dodgy non-tax paying side-walk speakeasies. hence, the authorities are not too fussed, but its a real boon for law enforcement who have an extra source of "revenue" from enforcement of the rule.

The chances of Hua HIn becoming another Pattaya about the same as Norwich winning the Premiership in the next 200 years. The logic that closing bars early has any influence on prostitution is equally ridiculous. The oldest profession is governed surely more by factors such as supply and demand rather than by opening hours. Personally i am in bed by 10 pm especially when in HH.

You cheeky bugger,you must be an Ipshite supporter,we are playing some good football so far this season,it will not be long before we get mid-table.And for your info the highest finish we have got in the premier was 3rd.

Police in Bangkok has been distributing letters stating the new closing time will be midnight...., as of today! (distribution of letter was last week)

Let's see what happens tonite, but this sounds real stupid.

It did not happen last night.

We'll see this week..

HI all

Sorry i have not got back sooner and also totster cant seem to be abe to open your message.

All change again in Hua Hin, bars allowed to open until 1am now although many already ignoring this.

It seems we have a new police chief who maybe wanted to flex his might a bit or maybe some bars were not paying the standard 500bht for having a pool table.

Anyway 1am i can live with and as i said there are other places for a late night drink.

As for the hilton, still open until 2am and yes it is a cattle market and a very expensive one at that.

mike.

HI all

Sorry i have not got back sooner and also totster cant seem to be abe to open your message.

All change again in Hua Hin, bars allowed to open until 1am now although many already ignoring this.

It seems we have a new police chief who maybe wanted to flex his might a bit or maybe some bars were not paying the standard 500bht for having a pool table.

Anyway 1am i can live with and as i said there are other places for a late night drink.

As for the hilton, still open until 2am and yes it is a cattle market and a very expensive one at that.

mike.

:o:Dicon_cheers.gif:D:D