Late Night Decent Bar For A Single Female

babochina

hi all

i am a single female, it will be my 1st time in Thailand

i arrive in BK at midnight on Sunday, where can I have a nightcap after checking in at my hotel?

i am looking for a bar where I can enjoy a beautiful view (i heard about the rooftop bars) or a good atmosphere without being hassled or taking any risk

my hotel will be in the Siam square area

(sorry to ask such a stupid question, but my lonely planet edition is 2y old and not to be trusted to find the latest hip i suppose ...)

thanks for ur answers

Few nights ago I was bored to death :D ; I was staring at the ceiling till it was too late at night; I decided to go out by then and head for a night out "alone", so I called a Thai woman-friend from the "hip-style kind"; she told me to go and try the LONG table at Column Tower- Sukomvit 16.

It was a hip place though,very safe for a single woman and a very cozy surrounding :D . but I didn't like the table, it was more like a wide king-queen-monarch size :D ;which you wonder if it's being facilitated as a table or a bed :o

Btw; you can always call for a taxi company to be on the safe side.

I'd usually recommend Vertigo on the rooftop of the Banyan Tree Hotel - nice open-air view and it's cozy but you can be alone and take in the skyline also.

Some people would recommend the bars/restaurants on top of the State Tower - I just don't like it over there. Can't pinpoint a reason, I just don't like the vibe. Maybe it's because I think it's one of the ugliest buildings in Bangkok, and for years I drove by it while it was an unfinished ghost building.

But it's the rainy season, and I'd recommend the 360 Bar in the Millenium Hilton Bangkok. It's inside but on a high floor (32 IIRC) and it's intimate but not unsuitable for a single person. The view is nice. Windows are slanted outward for a cool effect. I was going to go there on Sunday night with a girlfriend of mine - would have bought you a welcome drink - but alas we've changed plans and are going Saturday night instead.

As another poster mentioned, always call for taxis don't just flag down any random one if you want to play it safe - if you call it in they have the information of the driver, pickup location, destination on file in case of incident.

hi all

i arrive in BK at midnight on Sunday, where can I have a nightcap after checking in at my hotel?

i am looking for a bar where I can enjoy a beautiful view (i heard about the rooftop bars) or a good atmosphere without being hassled or taking any risk

(sorry to ask such a stupid question, but my lonely planet edition is 2y old and not to be trusted to find the latest hip i suppose ...)

thanks for ur answers

Throw away your Lesbian Planet immediately.

Foul, disgraceful and utterly biased in favour of exploiting the naive.

hi all

thanks for ur answers

honey :o ; it's just a book though :D

uh?!

what i find foul and disgraceful

is misreading my post and drawing vulgar, sexist conclusions and providing a makeshift of useless advice

- assimilating me to a lesbian because i am a woman travelling alone : except a long sigh of desilusion ... the rest would be a waste of my time and energy

- read again : the reason i am asking here is because i don t trust the lonely

thanks to all the others for their help and advices, i ll pick up a bar from the list you suggest me

I can't add to the recommendations I'm afraid....but

You say you arrive in Bangkok at midnight, by that I take it your flight arrives at Suvarnaphoom at midnight. By the time you have cleared immigration, got into Bangkok proper, found your hotel, checked in, and got out again it's going to be 2am at the earliest.

So can the previous posters confirm, are all the bars recommended still going strong at 2am or later?

I can't add to the recommendations I'm afraid....but

You say you arrive in Bangkok at midnight, by that I take it your flight arrives at Suvarnaphoom at midnight. By the time you have cleared immigration, got into Bangkok proper, found your hotel, checked in, and got out again it's going to be 2am at the earliest.

So can the previous posters confirm, are all the bars recommended still going strong at 2am or later?

sweetchariot made a point here. official closing hours are 2 a.m. the latest, and the places with a good reputation (Vertigo, Scirocco) will follow regulations.

for "after hours" places, ask your receptionist or PM me; you might also ask a taxi driver but chances of a rip off are high. and, however, even if Bangkok is considered a rather safe place, I wouldn't walk around the streets or even take a taxi alone as a woman in the middle of the night in areas you are not familiar with.

Carpe noctem!

i thought hard rock was all working girls!

siam hotel has a disco, people of all kinds ! many very friendly!

how does one call 4 a taxi in bkk. do they have english dispatchers. is there anyone who can call and tell person exactly where they are to be picked up :o:D

Edited by farang555

Have a few drinks in the airport & then a few more from the mini bar in your room.

Most of the murders I hear about involve alcohol & roaming around after midnight.

The bars shut pretty early here in the Big Mango.

i thought hard rock was all working girls!

siam hotel has a disco, people of all kinds ! many very friendly!

how does one call 4 a taxi in bkk. do they have english dispatchers. is there anyone who can call and tell person exactly where they are to be picked up :D:D

All hotels arrange doing this if you'd stay there ;they would call for a taxi to pick you up and send you for your desired place and they will provide you with the hotels' address card to give to the driver if you'd flag to a taxi randomly to avoid you any hassle. :P

For returning to your pad ;here is the scheme :( :The guards or doormen at any club sometimes record the taxi plate's number and they'd also ask you politely where is your destination . That's if you don't wish to call a taxi company. :D

FYI;The decent taxi companies have always English speaking staff too :D . Speaking English is not a rocket science for a quite few millions of the world's population anymore. :o

For me; I speak enough Thai to manage the basic necessities of communicating with the others. Until now; I luckily managed to tell the driver or the taxi-company call center my house's address to send me to even if am hel_l drunk :D

Where can I have a nightcap after checking in at my hotel?

Your minibar? :o

Single / White? / Female - First time in BKK wanting to go out drinking ALONE after 2am on your first night in town... Lamb to the slaughter?

i ve been living in china for 5years ... so, i m pretty used to doing things on my own in environment that is not geared for single / white / blonde / female lambs like me ;-)

doesn t mean i m riskproof though ...

and if closing times strikes at 2am, bkk being a less safe place than beijing

i ll probably have to deal with the minibar indeed

sigh, thanks a lot

uh?!

what i find foul and disgraceful

is misreading my post and drawing vulgar, sexist conclusions and providing a makeshift of useless advice

- assimilating me to a lesbian because i am a woman travelling alone : except a long sigh of desilusion ... the rest would be a waste of my time and energy

- read again : the reason i am asking here is because i don t trust the lonely

I did no such thing. I merely suggested you throw it away because it's corporate drivel aimed at gormless students and those who are easily pleased. It is an A-Z for lentil knitters.

It hadn't even occurred to me you might be a lesbian.

As far as getting lashed up late at night, go to a 7/11.

hi all

thanks for ur answers

honey :o ; it's just a book though :D

It isn't - it's a corporate money-making monolith. They peddle half-truths and weak leftwing propaganda as 'fact'.

I honestly don't know how they get away with it.

update ...

i stayed in my room on sunday, u were right, this city sleeps early

after being referred to the place by this thread, i m staying at the banyan (they re refurbishing, so they re giving a discount and the only 'trouble' is that the lobby smells of turpentine after 12am)

so if the weather allows it, i ll definitely try out the vertigo

and also ... thank you so much for recommending me the 360, just amazing :-)

i was there last night and could enjoy the view of lightning bolts over ther skyline while sipping a delicious Robusto Mojito and listening to some good live jazz

i m going to see how soi 4 and the siam square area looks in daylight and maybe, i ll try to overcome the seedy places before reaching the sin bar

as for taxi drivers, rip-offs and the local gentlemen,

so far, so good

i m still blonde and in one piece ;-)

thanks all :-)

with your advice

i m having a wonderful time in a wonderful city

I feel a self pat-on-the-back is in order :D

I'm happy you like the Banyan Tree and I'm glad you went to the 360 Bar. It is cool up there, isn't it? Nice selection of drinks, and laid back jazz. Not a problem for a single woman, which is why I recommended it.

I don't find anything interesting about Soi 4. If you liked 360, Soi 4 prob isn't for you. It's skankier for sure. As for Sin Bar, :o

As long as you're in the Hotel, you may as well check out Vertigo. The bar section is cozy, and the view is really nice. Drinks are not as good as 360, but the view makes up for it.

I feel a self pat-on-the-back is in order :o

yep :-)

due to the rain, vertigo is still escaping me ...

i tried yesterday the bamboo bar at the oriental, very nice cocktails and a good singer ...

as for the latitude, the 52th floor lounge bar from the banyan ... went there as well but nothing to write home about

i tried soi4 yesterday in the early evening,

while looking for the sin bar under the rain and watching the scene of bored white guys talking to even more bored local girls while avoiding my look because my female westernness makes them feel guilty or uncomfortable, or totally uninterested ...

i m worthless for the heavy cases of yellow fever (that s how we call the fatal attraction drawing western guys to local girls in china)

it suddenly occured to me the tip could be tainted with a dash of irony ;-)

overwhelmed by a deep feeling of social inadequacy and a pouring rain, i went back to my hotel without trying out one of these dens of sexual commercialized sadness

i m still the only female single traveller i ve seen so far

i m lucky employees, attendents and drivers speak english to chat a bit

would anyone know a bar full of people, bursting with life where i could go?

all what i ve seen so far were cosy places, half empty with little groups of tourists staying on their own

i tried yesterday the bamboo bar at the oriental, very nice cocktails and a good singer ...

as for the latitude, the 52th floor lounge bar from the banyan ... went there as well but nothing to write home about

while looking for the sin bar under the rain and watching the scene of bored white guys talking to even more bored local girls while avoiding my look because my female westernness makes them feel guilty or uncomfortable, or totally uninterested ...

i m worthless for the heavy cases of yellow fever (that s how we call the fatal attraction drawing western guys to local girls in china)

overwhelmed by a deep feeling of social inadequacy and a pouring rain, i went back to my hotel without trying out one of these dens of sexual commercialized sadness

all what i ve seen so far were cosy places, half empty with little groups of tourists staying on their own

For more of an international scene you could probably try:

Bed Supper Club - Sukhumvit 11

Koi - Sukhumvit 20

808 - RCA

A more mixed up crowd:

Santika - Ekamai between sois 9-11

Koi - Sukhumvit 20

808 - RCA

A more mixed up crowd:

surprised no ones suggested KSR (Khoa San Road) yet? few clubs open to 2am there.

Also RCA, Slim is a good one to check out.

Hope you enjoy your stay here

Koi - Sukhumvit 20

808 - RCA

A more mixed up crowd:

surprised no ones suggested KSR (Khoa San Road) yet? few clubs open to 2am there.

Also RCA, Slim is a good one to check out.

Hope you enjoy your stay here

Yes, tonnes of sanctimonious muesli-munchers up there. A perfectly foul place.

people tend to bash khao san road but for a single female traveller it is a great place to meet people. i love it for people watching, there are always cheap drink specials too. on the weekends it is a lot of thai art students.

I think it is hard for a single (especially if you are farang) to go out alone in Bangkok and meet other people. The reason for this is in Thai clubs people tend to get a table a then they stay by that table. They don´t "mingle" as you do in western countries.

But if you want to see much people; Jet metropolitan, always packed. You have to be there around 21ish to get a good table.

On weekends RCA/Ekkamai/Thonglor is a safe bet. It can´t go wrong.

Edited by Hawkup2000