Another Barking Dog Thread

bunta71

I need to vent! The thread description says it all. I have moved to a wonderful house in Tanawan 2. Problem being next door is an older dog worshipping woman who has a total of 14 "rat" dogs that bark almost non-stop all day. I am serious when I say almost non-stop. This womyn (did I spell that correctly?) relishes the fact that her dogs are barking and has never made an attempt to quell the mayhem.

I wasted about a hundred dollars on the Viatek Bark Stop. Absolutely no help in any way shape or form.Poisoning or grenades are not part of the solution from my end anyway so am asking about other ideas. TIT so subdivision covenants or other civilized solutions aren't considered effective either.Has anyone in a similar situation found relief and have suggestions? Ajarn ,you live in the same subdivision... do we have a poo-yea(spelling error) or someone with both intelligence and manly balls who can help? Canceling my cable Monday. Simply cannot hear my TV over the din. Dog Worshippers should have just a small amount of respect for humans also. Not really that much to ask IMO. Rant complete

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult problem and I can understand your feelings, however this is a little bit like moving near the airport and complaining of aircraft noise. from your post I would assume that the dogs were there when you moved in. It may also be the reason why such a "wonderful" house was on the market

I need to vent! The thread description says it all. I have moved to a wonderful house in Tanawan 2. Problem being next door is an older dog worshipping woman who has a total of 14 "rat" dogs that bark almost non-stop all day. I am serious when I say almost non-stop. This womyn (did I spell that correctly?) relishes the fact that her dogs are barking and has never made an attempt to quell the mayhem.

I wasted about a hundred dollars on the Viatek Bark Stop. Absolutely no help in any way shape or form.Poisoning or grenades are not part of the solution from my end anyway so am asking about other ideas. TIT so subdivision covenants or other civilized solutions aren't considered effective either.Has anyone in a similar situation found relief and have suggestions? Ajarn ,you live in the same subdivision... do we have a poo-yea(spelling error) or someone with both intelligence and manly balls who can help? Canceling my cable Monday. Simply cannot hear my TV over the din. Dog Worshippers should have just a small amount of respect for humans also. Not really that much to ask IMO. Rant complete

I had a similar problem. There were two homes out of four hundred in my Moo Baan that thought it was their duty to run an "animal rescue." The rules said no more than two dogs, but.......If they won't stop her from disturbing the neighborhood, then there is probably nothing in the rules about ringing her doorbell at 2,3,4 am. After the old hag told me to "go back to my own country" I found her husband to be more reasonable. I asked him how many children he had--he said "one." I told him, you have sense enough to only have one child, but you have nine dogs? There are several million orphans in Myanmar, should we set up a refugee camp in our Moo Baan for them, as well. I thought the Buddhist were "considerate people." Most of them, anyway.

If all else fails, try this recipe: 100 gram pork, 50ml anti-freeze.

Difficult problem and I can understand your feelings, however this is a little bit like moving near the airport and complaining of aircraft noise. from your post I would assume that the dogs were there when you moved in. It may also be the reason why such a "wonderful" house was on the market

The number of dogs seems to increase weekly and weren't barking when I inspected the property.I do understand about airports, but don't think that line of thinking is relevant or rational in this case.Believe it or not, dogs can be trained to bark ONLY when there is a good reason. Some dogs, usually larger dogs seem to have the intelligence built right in. Also helps for the owner to have more intelligence than the dog. Not always possible

Edited by bunta71

The number of dogs seems to increase weekly and weren't barking when I inspected the property.I do understand about airports, but don't think that line of thinking is relevant or rational in this case.Believe it or not, dogs can be trained to bark ONLY when there is a good reason. Some dogs, usually larger dogs seem to have the intelligence built right in. Also helps for the owner to have more intelligence than the dog. Not always possible

I understand where you are coming from, but in my experience larger dogs are a much better option than toy dogs, who in your case seem to have adopted the pack mentality. I also realise the "difficulties" you could encounter by trying to ask the Wolman to try to assist.

Perhaps you should have a couple of really loud hi fi sessions and if she should complain, as she likely would, you could explain the volume was such as you cannot hear ordinary volumes due to her dogs racket.

Just another thoiught, do you have a dog of your own ? if so is it possible the 14 next door are trying to establish territorial rights !

I understand where you are coming from, but in my experience larger dogs are a much better option than toy dogs, who in your case seem to have adopted the pack mentality. I also realise the "difficulties" you could encounter by trying to ask the Wolman to try to assist.

Perhaps you should have a couple of really loud hi fi sessions and if she should complain, as she likely would, you could explain the volume was such as you cannot hear ordinary volumes due to her dogs racket.

Just another thoiught, do you have a dog of your own ? if so is it possible the 14 next door are trying to establish territorial rights !

Had a rottwieler for a couple months when I first moved here. She did not participate in the "mindless"noisemaking. There really is no rhyme nor reason for the barking

If these are miniature pinschers you really have my sympathy. We had one (only one) in the house behind us, even though there was a building between us it drove us crazy.

Fortunately for us, only one person in the household liked it and when it passed away last year (hooray!), they didn't get another.

My golden retriever used to put her paws over her ears to block out the noise :o

[quote name='bunta71' date='2008-07-19 13:10:54' post='2095667'

dogs ... weren't barking when I inspected the property

Inspection of property in Thailand as recommended by a friend takes weeks, at one property he was interested in, he slept/stayed in his car every night for more than two weeks before buying. He also spent a lot of daylight hours there. At another he camped for almost a month before making an offer.

If these are miniature pinschers you really have my sympathy. We had one (only one) in the house behind us, even though there was a building between us it drove us crazy.

Fortunately for us, only one person in the household liked it and when it passed away last year (hooray!), they didn't get another.

My golden retriever used to put her paws over her ears to block out the noise :o

Four of the 14 are miniature pinschers What are you a mind reader?

Sorry about your dog problem. Have you tried talking with the lady?? I live in the same place and I have dogs that like to bark surrounding me. After a few years, I'm used to it now. There is an owner, but no idea where. Their representative comes around once a month for the guard fee... Maybe you can ask her.

Four of the 14 are miniature pinschers What are you a mind reader?

When you have lived near a miniature pinscher you will never forget and it is far worse than any of the other small dogs I have heard. This dog used to bark and bark and bark ........

Amazing the thing is so tiny!

Once it barked non stop for at least 2 hrs, I thought it would suffer a heart attack.

But no it kept going.

That thing multiplied by 4 would be the stuff of nightmares.

KawaBunga71, what a hassle!

As the one who recommended the 'Bark Stop' device, I gotta say I never promised you it would work on fourteen dogs!

Let's see, putting myself in your situation.. Our village has rules and the first thing I would do is be at the office complaining every day, even barking and howling if I had to, to get them to enforce those rules. But then we own this house, so some options, like moving or contacting our landlord, is not an option. My wife thinks that you should threaten to dump on this rental, and advise the owner that keeping renters in place is going to be hard unless they themselves talk to the neighbor.

Also, being the electronics guy that I usta be, I would connect that ultrasound Bark-Stop up to an amplifier, hook it to a few good-quality tweeters on the wall between your houses and blast those mutts into silence. The Bark-Stop activates itself when dogs bark so you wouldn't even have to attend to it.

But then, why not have fun with it? Put a picnic table outside, mount some powerful speakers out there aimed right at their house and have a brew while Hendrix is on at full volume.. The good ole Star Spangled Banner is always a good one, eh? Sound-activated is always the best because it actually trains the dogs - they bark, ear-pain follows..

Come on over - we'll BBQ a dog... :o

As the one who recommended the 'Bark Stop' device, I gotta say I never promised you it would work on fourteen dogs!

Let's see, putting myself in your situation.. Our village has rules and the first thing I would do is be at the office complaining every day, even barking and howling if I had to, to get them to enforce those rules. But then we own this house, so some options, like moving or contacting our landlord, is not an option. My wife thinks that you should threaten to dump on this rental, and advise the owner that keeping renters in place is going to be hard unless they themselves talk to the neighbor.

Also, being the electronics guy that I usta be, I would connect that ultrasound Bark-Stop up to an amplifier, hook it to a few good-quality tweeters on the wall between your houses and blast those mutts into silence. The Bark-Stop activates itself when dogs bark so you wouldn't even have to attend to it.

But then, why not have fun with it? Put a picnic table outside, mount some powerful speakers out there aimed right at their house and have a brew while Hendrix is on at full volume.. The good ole Star Spangled Banner is always a good one, eh? Sound-activated is always the best because it actually trains the dogs - they bark, ear-pain follows..

Diggin' through my old Hendrix stuff as we speak.Blasting the tunes seems like the best solution as of yet. At least I would feel better about it! Can't beat 'em...blast 'em! Still not sure about the anti-freeze marinade though. Probably OK if diluted with some Hydrogen Peroxide. Know where I can get some? Peroxide?

Come on over - we'll BBQ a dog... :D

Diggin' through my old Hendrix stuff as we speak.Blasting the tunes seems like the best solution as of yet. At least I would feel better about it! Can't beat 'em...blast 'em! Still not sure about the anti-freeze marinade though. Probably OK if diluted with some Hydrogen Peroxide. Know where I can get some? Peroxide?

A lot a people like Hendrix. VERY FEW Asians like bagpipe music..... :o

Directional speakers so as not to disturb the other neighbors or yourself.

I had a similar problem with a barking katoey. he/she lived in the room next door and would come home at 3 in the morning put on his/her music and make loud phone conversations to farang men. I knocked his/her door, complained to security, tried to out blast him/her, tried to play loud music when I thought he/she was sleeping. Finally, I caught him/her leaving his/her room and pushed him/her up against the wall of the elevator with my fist in his/her face and suggested that he/she should be more considerate. He/she made a complaint and the management offered me a room on one of the top floors. I didn't like the idea that I moved but hey a result - much better view and peace.

Edited by Loaded

Your comment sound like it hits the spot. I also have major problems with ALL the houses surrounding me having several dogs; next door has six of them happily barking away, all day. My "barkstop" does have some effect, however once something sets them in motion, even that will not silence them; they seem to be on a high, on speed. I would like to modify my barkstop device to something more powerful. Any advise as how to modify or increase the output will be appreciated. Jimmy Hendrix is already on standby in the meantime. Great topic!

Your comment sound like it hits the spot. I also have major problems with ALL the houses surrounding me having several dogs; next door has six of them happily barking away, all day. My "barkstop" does have some effect, however once something sets them in motion, even that will not silence them; they seem to be on a high, on speed. I would like to modify my barkstop device to something more powerful. Any advise as how to modify or increase the output will be appreciated. Jimmy Hendrix is already on standby in the meantime. Great topic!

While beginning to wish I hadn't contributed 'retribution style' comments in this thread, if your ultrasound device has an auxiliary output (mine does not), merely connect it to an external amplifier and broadcast thru quality tweeters. If no output jack, you would have to crack the box and find a place to tap into the electronics.

While I half-heartedly recommended Hendrix over the wall to drive the neighbors whacko, that should be the LAST resort! In spite of GW-style policies, making every effort to negotiate with neighbors (enemies, women) is the preferred route. I have had a few problems here and simply talking with the neighbor was enough to resolve the issue. Again, I would suggest getting your landlord to do the negotiations since you are the newbie in the hood and have no stake there in resident's eyes. Are other neighbors equally annoyed? Will they participate in contacting the owner of the dogs?

Even blasted, ultrasound devices are not punishment but a training tool that interrupts an animal's pattern momentarily and doing that over a short period of time trains them to drop the habit (kinda like HIV trains one to drop the habit of unprotected sex?). Amimals in packs (including humans) are impossible to deal with and alternatives are called for.

And I would never suggest, unless a member of my family is attacked in which case the animal's/human's life is immdiately forfeit, harming or killing a dog out of mere frustration. Not only is that unfair to the animal that is not at fault, you open the door for an owner to come back at you with a vengance.

The criticisms and advice about sleeping in a car on the street for weeks at a time are nonsense. As the OP posted, this is a problem that has developed and grown rapidly since moving in. No amount of observation can predict the future.

Good luck!

The OP has not yet told us if he has even tried to talk with his neighbor or neighbors or landlord about the problem which has been going on for weeks and possibly months, unless I missed it.

And it has been suggested that the solution is to become the most offensive member of the community by making the most noise.

And this is all the fault of the Thais.

The OP has not yet told us if he has even tried to talk with his neighbor or neighbors or landlord about the problem which has been going on for weeks and possibly months, unless I missed it.

And it has been suggested that the solution is to become the most offensive member of the community by making the most noise.

And this is all the fault of the Thais.

I have not spoken to the neighbor nor "Shown my hand" for a couple reasons. Being old and almost as wise as young Dustoff, I wanted to explore all my options before committing to any particular one. Thus my post.

The rest is just B.S.....no one is hooking up the bagpipes. Same with the high powered electronics. Plain ol' B.S. Some of these poor misguided souls that have responded find a certain comfort in their need to experience humor. Shameful I know. I hate smiling too. :o:D

I was also under the flight path. That didn't bother me. The jets create jobs and bring money to the local economy. A barking dog is useless. As one of the other posters mentioned; give them a late night concert. I did it a few times. Was woken up at 4am by the dogs and decided to play the stereo for an hour or so. The late night rings on the doorbell improved the situation, too.

Also, when you go to the Moo Baan office--ask to speak with the owner of the development company directly. That will get their attention.

In my home country i loved dogs and had one all my life, in thailand i have come to hate them ,you cant even walk down the road without fear of one attacking you for no reason, its happened to me twice,.i wont dare walk around with my 5 year old, if one went for her id kill it in a heartbeat, and i really dont want to start that,.so what do you do with nuisance dogs ?. the ones that have owners are easier to deal with ,the packs that are roaming unkept are much worse,.in some ways i wish more thais ate them, bloody nuisances ! :o

I live on tanawan 2 also and i know where you mean, i can understand your frustration. Im not too bad where i am but there is a guy with 2 german shepards across the road which bark at almost anything or anyone, but to be honest its not that bad at least i know when someone is walking around near our house.

Anyone know where to get one of these stop bark thingys that actually work? 5 different small dogs next door. GEEZ!

Super Bark Stop

I have been extremely happy with mine but I have used it on only one or two dogs at a time and it trained them faster than I ever would have believed. However, I have no idea if this will work with three or more dogs since they tend to set each other off.

Months ago someone with two yappy little dogs moved in a couple of houses down and I put my device in the basket of my motorbike for about 15 minutes two times across the street from their house and I now rarely hear a peep out of them unless someone approaches their gate which is, of course, an appropriate time for them to bark.

This thing is a bit expensive but you can set sensitivity, volume, number of barks before it activates and humans cannot hear it so the owner doesn't even know you are using it. For several dog's, I would probably put it as close as possible to them and just leave it on, on full volume. It doesn't hurt their ears - the whole point of training is to break the habit of recreational barking by diverting their attention for a few seconds which this ultrasound device does very well.

For walking around, I have found that the worst thing you can do is carry a stick as it makes them bark and act even more agressively. I have found two techniques that work every time. Every dog knows the motion of a person bending over to pick up a rock and will keep a very respectful distance if you just make the motion - there need not actually be a rock there. Secondly, for more agressive dogs, I carry one of those little, plastic 50B kid's cap pistols that take the red plastc ring of caps that are 20 times louder than American cap pistols and can be easily slipped into a pants pocket when out for a walk. One shot from these at close range and a dog will never approach you again and no harm is done. I have used mine several times and it is incredibly effective...

Good luck!

Arghhh....this is one of the difficult subjects. Personally I like dogs, cats, horses. I'm not vegetarian, but eat very little meat. I admit to a weakness for lobster, self-caught on scuba.

Lived with dogs. Once had a girlfriend who was a professional dog groomer- we had a French poodle and a Doberman (Tisha and Misty, respectively).

Point of this post? Having multiple dogs, whether small or large, whatever the breed, who are noisy on a non-stop basis....points more to the human owners, rather than the dogs themselves. If you want to keep a managerie, move to the (deep) countryside. Don't inflict this on your neighbors.

But don't suggest extermination- this is very wrong. They are animals, not humans. They do not think and reason as we do. They are not worthy of maltreatment, just because they make noise.

I have friends, whose dogs are their surrogate children.

I was attacked by 2 large Malmute hybrids in a soi not long after I first got here....5 rabies shots at Ram, about 9000 B total.

I still have a hard time with people wishing ill on creatures of any kind, large or small...human or not.

• 1 month later...

OK Billy, I better fess up. Don't really hate dogs. Cooked properly they can be alright. I was just bored and we were facing a thread about socks so just blurted out something to keep us from having to suffer the sock thing. All part of my quest to save the world.... really!!