What Is Cool To Thai Teenagers ?

spectrum

To help with an educational project, could those of you with better Thai language skills than mine, and those of you with teenage Thai kids, nieces, nephews and neighbours like to pass on some information and comments ? And those who don't can contribute, too.

Broadly, I am trying to find out what is currently considered cool amongst Thai teenagers.

Is the Japanese "kawai" (cute) style still in ? Are Korean pop stars more the go now ? Where are the latest trends coming from ? Are there any uniquely Thai trends and if so, are they being "exported" anywhere ?

Specific questions might be:

What is your favourite pastime ?

What is your favourite song/singer/group ?

Favourite film ?

Favourite book ? Magazine ?

Favourite website ?

How many hours per day/week do you use the internet ?

What is the main way you use the internet -- games/email or instant messaging/chatting/blogging/... ?

Do you use English for any of the above activities ?

If you can also give some general information about the individual kids (age, sex, family backround --languages/cultures of parents --urban/village ) it would help, too. Don't reveal anyone's identity, of course.

All comments and observations welcome.

Thank you.

if you go onto the hi5 social network, which is very popular with Thai teenagers you can do your own research...

Dan Sai Kid, I am aware of the popularity of hi5. However, too much there takes place in Thai to be of any great help.

Edited by spectrum

To help with an educational project, could those of you with better Thai language skills than mine, and those of you with teenage Thai kids, nieces, nephews and neighbours like to pass on some information and comments ? And those who don't can contribute, too.

Broadly, I am trying to find out what is currently considered cool amongst Thai teenagers.

M O N E Y :o

I am helping build an educational website. Most of it will be available for free but some courses will require a fee.

I am not the person who will be collecting the fees (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It is proving fairly difficult to get information without being fluent in Thai. There's not really a great deal in English on the internet that is of help. Hence I am asking here, as I know many of you have kids/relatives in this age group.

Simply, I'm trying to figure out the topics that interest teenagers in Thailand. Very broadly, those topics might be the same as for teenagers anywhere, but they would differ in specifics.

Edited by spectrum

currently considered cool amongst Thai teenagers.

Is the Japanese "kawai" (cute) style still in ?

Oh yea, very much so....in and will be in,...and forever

Are Korean pop stars more the go now ?

Rain is still quite a popular here

Where are the latest trends coming from ?

Japan mostly - for fashions

Korean mostly - for male hairdo

Are there any uniquely Thai trends and if so, are they being "exported" anywhere ?

beside rice and shrimps, then don't know anything else

Gossiping, eating, shopping,.....the usual stuffs

What is your favourite singer?

wild guess.....Bie, 4MOD

Favourite film ?

try......"Love of Siam" - Mario is quite "hot" among girls, and "Wairai Freshy High"

Oh also ......Fullhouse, My Girl, Goong I (not Goong II)

Just strictly from observations

Thank you.

Edited by teacup

With my 14, soon to be 15, year old son, it is all about computer games. That is the sole purpose of the internet. Forget about email, chatting, or instant messaging. That's for girls, who he has absolutely no use for. All they do is talk about who is doing what to whom, and who is the girlfriend of whom. Boring! And forget about using English. English is only for talking with his parents and some of his teachers, who he also has absolutely no use for. All they do is tell him to do things he doesn't want to do. Annoying!

Good luck. If you use the word education, he isn't going anywhere near it. Now if you use the word game, he may take a look at it.

With my 14, soon to be 15, year old son, it is all about computer games. That is the sole purpose of the internet. Forget about email, chatting, or instant messaging. That's for girls, who he has absolutely no use for. All they do is talk about who is doing what to whom, and who is the girlfriend of whom. Boring! And forget about using English. English is only for talking with his parents and some of his teachers, who he also has absolutely no use for. All they do is tell him to do things he doesn't want to do. Annoying!

Good luck. If you use the word education, he isn't going anywhere near it. Now if you use the word game, he may take a look at it.

:D Seems our lads are much the same :o:D

Hang out at the big malls frequented by Thais (does not include Siam Paragon, Emporium or the like), and see what the groups of teens are doing. Siam Square is a good place to start.

You'll notice that the boy and girls seem to socialize mostly with their own gender, mixing only a little bit (at least in public).

Watch AF and you'll get the idea.

Yep, AF is about the coolest thing going (among Thai teenagers) in Thailand now. My friend said he was dragged along to one of their elimination concerts and although there wasn't an empty seat left, he was the only farang in the place.

Is the Japanese "kawai" (cute) style still in ? Are Korean pop stars more the go now ? Where are the latest trends coming from ? Are there any uniquely Thai trends and if so, are they being "exported" anywhere ?

Specific questions might be:

What is your favourite song/singer/group ?

Favourite film ?

Favourite book ? Magazine ?

Favourite website ?

How many hours per day/week do you use the internet ?

What is the main way you use the internet -- games/email or instant messaging/chatting/blogging/... ?

Do you use English for any of the above activities ?

If you can also give some general information about the individual kids (age, sex, family backround --languages/cultures of parents --urban/village ) it would help, too. Don't reveal anyone's identity, of course.

All comments and observations welcome.

Thank you.

Note that unlike developed countries, interests could be vastly different between thai teenagers due to very wide differences in social class and background. The common mistake most westerners make is to overly generalize when studying developing asian countries/cultures.

Note that unlike developed countries, interests could be vastly different between thai teenagers due to very wide differences in social class and background. The common mistake most westerners make is to overly generalize when studying developing asian countries/cultures

Yes (and probably this applies in reverse, too). Thanks for making this point.

I am interested in all teens in Thailand. I could have made that clearer.

What do teenagers in villages and on farms do in their free time ?

Hi Spectrum,

You're right AF is Academy Fantasia and forgive me for being lazy

I wish you good luck sitting through the whole show though...

Thanks. I have caught glimpses of it and was completely mystified :o .

Edited by spectrum

Note that unlike developed countries, interests could be vastly different between thai teenagers due to very wide differences in social class and background. The common mistake most westerners make is to overly generalize when studying developing asian countries/cultures

Yes (and probably this applies in reverse, too). Thanks for making this point.

I am interested in all teens in Thailand. I could have made that clearer.

What do teenagers in villages and on farms do in their free time ?

Hi Spectrum,

You're right AF is Academy Fantasia and forgive me for being lazy

I wish you good luck sitting through the whole show though...

Thanks. I have caught glimpses of it and was completely mystified :o .

AF is the Thai version of American Idol and the British equivalent (which I know came first). Since AF has dedicated one complete elimination concert to Luke Toong music, I would be very, very surprised if AF was not every bit as "cool" among teenagers in villages and farms as it is in the cities.

AF is the Thai version of American Idol and the British equivalent (which I know came first). Since AF has dedicated one complete elimination concert to Luke Toong music, I would be very, very surprised if AF was not every bit as "cool" among teenagers in villages and farms as it is in the cities.

Totally agree. There's 2 things that transcends class in Thailand and they would be AF & MK

Watch AF and you'll get the idea.

Yep, AF is about the coolest thing going (among Thai teenagers) in Thailand now. My friend said he was dragged along to one of their elimination concerts and although there wasn't an empty seat left, he was the only farang in the place.

LOL, you ain't kidding - we saw you sitting in the audience a few weeks ago :o

However, one has to remember that AF is primarily for Bangkok audiences and those upcountry who have TrueVisions. My daughter has been twice and has a ticket for the final as well. But she still has many friends who don't know about or give a hoot about AF, and that's in Bangkok!

Mind you, this year at least they have started showing the Saturday concert on ModernNine TV so it may be gaining wider public appeal. AF is quite interesting if you follow reality shows, it's something my whole family watches, and this year the contestants are of much higher standard than previous years.