Dog Lick, Lick, Licking, His Feet. Why?

The dog is spending a lot of time licking his feet. Pads on all four feet are red, not raw - yet! Why is he doing it and how can I get him to stop it? Many thanks for any help.

This could be indicative of a local irritant or inflammation/infection from bacterial, fungal and/or parasitic sources.

Even if the inciting cause is no longer present, constant licking can become a self-propagating cycle of continued trauma to the skin and the inlammation could get worse.

It could also just be a behaviour problem i.e. a habit.

Bathe the dog`s feet in warm salt water. This will act as a mild diesenfectant and clean the feet. See if that takes away the redness but if the dog continues or starts to chew the pads or the pads swell up then this could indicate a problem as above and a trip to the vets would be advisable.

Hi,

most of these feet licking problems are allergic in nature. It can be a contact dermatitis: wide blade hairy grass is quite often a source of irritation. It can also be an inhalant allergen ( like hay fever in people): check if the ears are also red.

A homemade remedy is soaking the feet in a very week solution of chlorex ( and I mean very weak...faint smell is enough) and then pat dry. Or spraying methylated spirits with a spray bottle after washing the feet when coming back from a walk.

Investigate the problem: have you changed something in the diet ( some preservatives can induce allergies or source of protein also), new route to walk the dog, garden changes: fertilisers. It can also be seasonal: linked to some flowering plants....again like hay fever in people.

Again a veterinary exam is in need but make sure that you try to find the source of the problem . If only anti-inflammatories are given the problem will come back as soon as the medication is over. Quite often hat is seen as lesions are secondary to the dog traumatising the area and not the cause of the problem.

I don;t recommend cortisone creams as it will only trap more dirt to the area. Unless you can keep the dog on tiles for the time the cream is absorbed.

Rare to have parasites on all feet and nowhere else.

Hope this helps your dog

Many thanks for your replies. Licking feet to the extent of causing injury to the pads has only been done by the dogs I have had in Thailand. Never happened to dogs in other S.E. countries. Actually, licking has been less yesterday and today. I have been giving a firm, loud NO. Will print out and try your remedies if he starts again.

behavioral and/or physical irritation, or one starting the other....

boredom/nerves (like people chewing fingernails or horses 'cribbing')/ or varioius irritants... either way, stopping the licking and allowing the pads to heal and then also finding why the irritation.. provide toys like kongs (the ones that the dog has to work hard to get food out of them) keeps dog busy and away from pads of feet; breaks the cycle... dont use cleaners anywhere on floors (basic all purpose floor soap shouldnt have any real irritants in them/even hand dish washing detergent could be ok (we use that when washing goat uteruses when prolapsed, etc so not an irritant for the most part)...

try a hypoallergenic food for a month (royal canin has, in thailand)

dont use shampoos when washing the dog, just water.

tammi, its a very common complain among dogs all around the world (mostly, i've noticed, among house dogs or 'sedentary dogs ) working dogs have other pad complaints but not a licking problem, as they hae less time to lay down and lick. they have pad problems that keep them from working though (thorns in toes, sore worn down pads cracked pads) a bit like the hot spots n dogs - that disgusting oozy excema which many dogs have around the base of their tail (which comes first the itch or the icky sore?, to cause the constant licking /chewing that becomes a habit - like people picking at a permanent sore ...

some herbal rememdies may help like aloe vera/tea leaf/ lavender oils put on pads and then dog kept occupied to prevent licking the stuff off his feet.

bina

Because they can? Try putting pepper on his paws.

This dog likes hot stuff, pepper, chilli, whatever - you name it he will lap it up and wait for more. Only thing he backs away from is Counterpain!

But I do believe I am winning by saying NO and distracting him.

He is BORED

Dogs need lots of exercise and most owners tend to be lazy to the detriment of there pet therefore the pet becomes frustrated and bored and develops bad habits such as this

If you are honest with yourself does he get enough exercise for his size ??? ie a good 45 minute walk 2 times a day

If its nothing medical which I doubt try increasing his and your exercise it will work wonders

Having a dog is a big responsibility and the bigger it is the more exercise it needs if you cannot or dont have the time to adequatley exercise your pet then dont have one easy as that.

He is BORED

Dogs need lots of exercise and most owners tend to be lazy to the detriment of there pet therefore the pet becomes frustrated and bored and develops bad habits such as this

If you are honest with yourself does he get enough exercise for his size ??? ie a good 45 minute walk 2 times a day

If its nothing medical which I doubt try increasing his and your exercise it will work wonders

Having a dog is a big responsibility and the bigger it is the more exercise it needs if you cannot or dont have the time to adequatley exercise your pet then dont have one easy as that.

He gets a lot of walks and playtime and cuddles. But I will take him for longer walks. He is small and just over 6 kg.