Nearly Poisoned At Carrefour Tonight

wheo

Someone mentioned they saw staff cutting the cheese at Foodland on the same cutting board that had just been used for raw meat. I'm getting the impression that this very dangerous practice is quite common here in Thailand.

I got bad food poisoning from chicken I purchased at Big-C several years ago. I think what happened is that I made the mistake of letting them cut the chicken for me. The cutting board was quite dirty with evidence that it had been in use for many different jobs for quite a while without being cleaned. I don't know why the alarm didn't sound for me like it should have when I saw such filth on the cutting board, but I took the chicken home and ate it without thinking about the possible outcome.

It is now my unwavering policy to NEVER have (cooked) food cut for me at the store -- too dangerous.

I also agree about not buying frozen food at Carrefour Pattaya. Several times I've noticed that the "frozen" items in their freezers are soft (and likely dangerous to eat).

It is now my unwavering policy to NEVER have (cooked) food cut for me at the store -- too dangerous.

I also agree about not buying frozen food at Carrefour Pattaya. Several times I've noticed that the "frozen" items in their freezers are soft (and likely dangerous to eat).

They have a lovely contraption called a convection oven ... it browns nicely and one should always make it a habit to cook the beasties off of the food one more time before ingesting filthy bacteria and germs that lurk in all places of Thailand. I also would be quite careful about cross-contamination of raw food. Wheo always scrubs cooking surfaces with cleanser and makes sure to clean the outside of the squeeze bottle (detergent) and the kitchen faucet including the wheelie thing to turn on and off the water.

It's difficult being thorough.

What you ingest should be clean and healthy ... putting filth into your mouth should at all times be avoided. I will say that Carrefour is taking better care of their trolleys as I did not have to use so many antibacterial wipes ... I have to use too many at Tesco. While a good purge is good for you it should not be after eating old chicken.

You sound like you might need counseling. "antibacterial wipes". Thailand. :o

I fail to see the humor in keeping ones body and mind clean Phil ... you should treat it as a temple ... would you walk into a temple with dirty feet or a filthy liver? Dettol makes a lovely smelling anti-bacterial soap and it is on sale with a buy 3 get the fourth free. The bouquet comes in many citrus smells enough to make my olfactory glands do the dance of joy.

I will say that Carrefour is taking better care of their trolleys as I did not have to use so many antibacterial wipes ... I have to use too many at Tesco.

:o

Just avoid the salad.

Au contraire mon ami, salads are one of the joys of living as a human. I bought some delightful balsamic vinegar at Foodland last week and mix it with some spices, freshly chopped herbs and Bertollini Olive oil for a sumptous salad dressing. I bring it with me when I go out.

I don't much trust the salad dressings here.

:o

I have never been food poisoned in Thailand , Im very surprised about this.

I too am more than surprised by your inability to become food poisoned ... I thought only my dog was incapable of catching. I can now tell him that he has company of the human variety.

If you wish to go further out on your limb and claim that you have never had the "squirts" after eating something of questionable origin then I shall elevate you to superhuman status.

You can almost add me to your "super(hu)man list :D

Never had any food peoblems in my 4 years in Los, ..................................

Though I had a bad night after a meal at a Indian rest. in Koh Chang a few years ago (Btw it's not there anymore).............A sign outside said "New Chef just arrived from India" ....................

I should have just turned around immediately. :o:D

We should have a poll : Is wheo the reincarnation of weho?

For the motion.

- Same trite writing style.

- Same piffling problems with life.

- Same obsession with cleanliness.

- Same strange fixation with trolleys.

- Same nick, merely rearranged slightly.

Against the motion.

- Protestation of innocence.

Back on topic, if anyone is so strongly concerned with hygene and food preparation then they should do all their own catering probably right back to the slaughter of the animals. They should never buy any food they haven't been involved with in the production process because you never know what chemicals/fertilisers/pesticides are used. Plus, of course, you should never eat out at any restaurant because despite all their hygene certification there is no guarantee of anything.

Joined yesterday. Nuff said.

It is quite evident that enough has not been said ... perhaps you can point all of us to a "how to" for people who "joined yesterday" that shows all of us how one should formulate their all important (to you) first post?

Personally I would prefer to discuss the growing of my own produce but to each his own.

Edited by wheo