Ubc Sat Box Remote Control

Upcountry

Hi folks,

Given the cost of an extra UBC box for the simple luxury of watching CNN/BBC in a room other than where the control box is, I’m looking for the best way, or a way, to remotely control the box while I’m in that other room.

I’ve seen things on the internet, but I don’t know if they will work with the particular UBC box I have: "DStv" "ADB" ABS-3Q76. Everything else on the box is UBC-related.

Here’s one possibility: http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm#powermid

Has anyone tried this, or have a better idea?

Thanks!

I had a powermid in the UK, but it didn't work for very long. (a couple of months - basically it didn't seem to like being left on all the time).

I also have another one, of a similar idea from a company called Marmitek. It also gave up the ghost on the video transmission side, but I do still use it for transmitting remote signals between rooms sometimes.

For fixed locations - the best method is a wired infra-red transmitter box. (what I use now in Thailand) It does mean running a cable from the satellite box to the room you want to watch TV in, but as well as carrying the remote control signals back to the box, it also carries the video signal to the TV.

You can get a Powermid, or another one of the videosender type boxes, and you might have more luck than I have had with them. But, I'd definitely recommend a wired connection. (Anywhere that does satellite installations in Thailand will also install them. - the one I have is branded infrasender).

UBC sells such a setup themselves... 1800 baht, 500 install as I remember. No costs after that.

I have one that's called 'InfraSender', which I bought locally at PSI for 3000 baht a couple of years ago. I've heard they're around 1500 baht now, and it might even be the same as UBC uses..

Works great. Same remote in both rooms...

Terrific, thanks for the advice. This does sound like the best solution. I didn't realize that UBC offered an affordable solution - thought I'd need another box.

The InfraSender with UBC install also seems less expensive thant the Powermind, based on my research so far.

:o

I called UBC today in my town (Phitsanulok). I received two bits of depressing news.

One relates to this thread:

I asked about the InfraSender for 1800 baht, 500 install. The UBC rep told me that they didn’t have such a thing. I’d have to pay 3500 baht for a “Remote UBC extra link”. Maybe it’s the same thing. No 2nd remote supplied.

I guess I’ll look around for the InfraSender in town. If I can set it up for myself that might be worth it - if available at a lower price.

Second piece of bad news: In my town, UBC has no plans to convert to cable. Their website indicates that in Bangkok and some upcountry areas, it’s possible to get UBC Gold via cable instead of satellite. But not here, due to an older and incompatible cable wiring infrastructure.

Well, here’s to the future when companies like UBC are no longer a monopoly!