Have We Forgotten Anything On Our To Do List?

loubrockbank

ok, 4 weeks to go till we move from the uk.

Im pretty sure im all covered but would be gratefull for any tips or a second pair of eyes to check that we havnt missed anything :o

so...

1) flights are booked, we booked a return ticket back in feb as the initial plan wasnt to move till dec and just have a holiday first, but we decided what the hel_l and will take the plunge. We were told by emirates it would cost too much to change our tickets to a one way - so what we need to do is once we are in thaialnd give them a ring, pay £75 each and we could leave our tickets open for one year as long as we make a note of our eticket number.

2) The above is cool as we now have our non immigrant o visa - so will need to come back to the uk after one year.

3) Vaccinations - we visited thaialnd about a year and a half ago and pretty sure the docs gave us som jabs for that, so ill ring this weeks to see if we need anymore...im sure for some we wont get charged but is it true there are some that we would? and we are better off getting them in thailand as they are cheaper? sorry not sure of what exactly we need

4) We are going to stop off in bangkok and spend the night there, and the next day take a road trip down to phuket... do you think we are better off booking a car online now? or just when we get there? Ive seen we can pick a car up fromm BKKK airport and drop off in phuket? also I take it we will be best off getting sat nav for the drive??

5) Accomodation - we are pretty lucky in that dans (my partners) sister lives in phuket (she moved also a few years ago). So we will stay there with them for a while untill we find somewhere of our own. From what I have read its pretty srtaight foward to find somewhere when we are there. We have already looked online to check it out.

6) Health insurance - this we still need to do - have been looking around but could do with some pointers :D

7) Bit of a fun one - dans sister does not know we are moving for good. They have always said we should just move out there, so its going to be a suprise when we reveal that we are not acually only going for a 3 week holiday (as originally planned) but are actually not going back.... anyone got any fun ideas how we could tell them :D we have a could sense of humour and want to do something funny.

we were going to try and not tell them for 3 weeks and at the end of that time just let it slip - but I get sooo excited I wont be able to keep quiet for that long

anyway thanks for any input

2) The above is cool as we now have our non immigrant o visa - so will need to come back to the uk after one year.

Just to make you aware you can stay for 15 months on a non imm O. But i guess as you have one already and have 4 weeks before you enter thailand that will allow you 14 months!

Yes. You forgot my gift.. Bottle of JW blue and malboro lights will do. It's the new law..

Haha, yeah you forgot mine to i will have crate of stella.

Well i did tell you that you will be able to stay for another few months didnt i!

ok, 4 weeks to go till we move from the uk.

Im pretty sure im all covered but would be gratefull for any tips or a second pair of eyes to check that we havnt missed anything :o

so...

1) flights are booked, we booked a return ticket back in feb as the initial plan wasnt to move till dec and just have a holiday first, but we decided what the hel_l and will take the plunge. We were told by emirates it would cost too much to change our tickets to a one way - so what we need to do is once we are in thaialnd give them a ring, pay £75 each and we could leave our tickets open for one year as long as we make a note of our eticket number.

3) Vaccinations - we visited thaialnd about a year and a half ago and pretty sure the docs gave us som jabs for that, so ill ring this weeks to see if we need anymore...im sure for some we wont get charged but is it true there are some that we would? and we are better off getting them in thailand as they are cheaper? sorry not sure of what exactly we need

4) We are going to stop off in bangkok and spend the night there, and the next day take a road trip down to phuket... do you think we are better off booking a car online now? or just when we get there? Ive seen we can pick a car up fromm BKKK airport and drop off in phuket? also I take it we will be best off getting sat nav for the drive??

5) Accomodation - we are pretty lucky in that dans (my partners) sister lives in phuket (she moved also a few years ago). So we will stay there with them for a while untill we find somewhere of our own. From what I have read its pretty srtaight foward to find somewhere when we are there. We have already looked online to check it out.

6) Health insurance - this we still need to do - have been looking around but could do with some pointers :D

7) Bit of a fun one - dans sister does not know we are moving for good. They have always said we should just move out there, so its going to be a suprise when we reveal that we are not acually only going for a 3 week holiday (as originally planned) but are actually not going back.... anyone got any fun ideas how we could tell them :D we have a could sense of humour and want to do something funny.

we were going to try and not tell them for 3 weeks and at the end of that time just let it slip - but I get sooo excited I wont be able to keep quiet for that long

anyway thanks for any input

My input may be like the curate's egg, only "good in parts", but here goes:

a) change the title of this thread to something more specific and you'll probably collect a lot of god stuff.

:D keep looking at the other thread here 'How old were you when you moved?' That could develop into a strong, general advice thread from we boring old frats to you lucky young chargers.

c) keep a diary and the very 1st thing to enter is the DATE and conditions under which you deal with the return half of your air ticket. I came here on a 1 year return and that was 14 years ago. D-day (Big Decision Day) was something like 3 months plus 1 week before the return half expired AND by that date it had to be back home (UK) with the agent who sold it to me to get that refund. Just got it by the skin of my teeth and, of course, have never regretted that.

d) I envy you your (maybe) first long drive here, Bkk-Phuket. Lots of good maps now and NO probs once you get out of Bkk, so no sat nav required in my view. But I DO recommend you take time to spend at least 1 overnight in Hua Hin or Cha-Am and another farther south in Prachuab Khirikhan. The first 2 are Thailand with big western overlay, the latter is still REAL Thailand. Don't miss the lovely beach road amid the palm trees, with the traffic lights where red really does mean STOP. It's a military airstrip crossing you and you might broadside a jet fighter at 200 mph!

e) We too have good friends in Phuket but live in Chiang Mai, where the cost of living must be at least two-thirds less. Don't overcommit yourselves. Look around, plan your budget(s) and beware, 'cos trickery is everywhere. The biggest and most dangerous con-man in Pattaya a few years ago was a German praying on his fellow German speakers!

f) Under some circs you may be able to renew your 1 year visas in-country here, or at a Thai embassy or consulate nearby, eg Penang or KL. Plenty of current, constantly updating advice here on thaivisa.

g) Jabs? My GP gave me a few, but if you are not going to mess around in rivers or jungles then the current standard UK list should be sufficient. Health insurance? Look at AIA, AXA, NZ etc and take your pick according to your budget.

h) I sense you are fortunate enough to be able to make the Big Decision relatively early in life. Look at our American friends' website: www.retirearlylifestyle.com They spend a large part of every year in Chiang Mai, as well as other parts of the globe, having retired at age 38. A lot of wisdom in there.

Good luck. Can't fault your early choices!

Hi loubrockbank

Good luck to you both and I hope you enjoy Thailand as much as me (compared to the UK). You have overcome a few hurdles already and found IMHO the best source of info HERE. I list below a few thoughts in my usual random order:-

Jabs - Get an appointment at home and they will give you a list of options off the internet. All mine were free!!

UK Bank - Nationwide flexaccount does'nt charge for overseas ATM withdrawals and is very popular. Not stiched up with interest rates either.

Grimreaper Dude (Taxman) - There is a Govt form for informing them you are abandoning ship.

Phuket is quite a way from BKK, have you considered flying. Domestic flights are not that expensive when compared to car rental/fuel. Not many rentals will have GPS(unless you meant you want to buy one in BKK).

Health Insurance - Good idea. This sites insurance services might be a good start.

Clothes - Dont waste time and effort bringing items that can be obtained here cheaply( although I brought my own underwear and toiletries). REMEMBER its always bloody hot!

Driving Licences - Brink UK ones and you dont need to sit another full test.

UK Embassy - register online once you have a perminent address

Border runs/Visa extensions - Its never to soon to plan your way forward. This site can advise requirements.

Wind up the 'skin n blister' - Come on try to stretch it out as long as possible. When you can wait no longer, why not go out one night, get a bit drunk and pretend you have just made up your mind that your never going home.

Hope my ramblings help

Dave

You pack your bags say you're heading to the airport then come back an hour later suprise them and say you want to stay for much longer,she will be delighted :o

You pack your bags say you're heading to the airport then come back an hour later suprise them and say you want to stay for much longer,she will be delighted :o

They will be embarrassed and in the middle of their "wheels up" party.

Lou,

SOunds liek you have got loads of stuff covered! The roadtrip sounds a good idea and I would second the OP above who posted about stopping over in Hua Hin etc on your way down to Phuket. Great opportunity to see other (more remote and unspoiled) areas of Thailand and gorgeous beaches etc.

For you (female) :o.... I would suggest underwear (bras from the UK)! Also if you like any particular brands of goods (sanitary) i.e. Tampax is not stocked here but Boots sell their own brand etc.

You might also want to check out the Ladies Forum, there was a relatively recent thread all about what products we couldn't live without from home!!!

Bon voyage! :D

Thanks Andiamo

Good point about bras! I find it hard enought to find bras here to fit me sometimes so will make sure I go get a few more this week :o I'll also be sure to check out the ladies forum as I think I have a few more questions brewing about girly things :D

I will try and have a look for some hotels along the way on the internet just to get a rough idea as many people have reccomended the same ...anyone any reccomendations of where?

thanks again all!!

Thailand & esp. somewhere like Phuket you can get pretty much everything but like Andiamo says, Bras, swimming cossies & anything with a moulded cup is better brought from UK.

Also depending on your brand, face creams, make up & lotions etc can be bought much cheaper at boots/superdrug two for one offers or sales so stock up whenever you can, most can be stored int he fridge anyway so if they are selling it cheap in Uk, get it. Also some brands just can't be bought here so think about that too. Nothing worse than trying to find a thai equivilant as most will have a whitening agent in them.

But def do some searches in the ladies seciton as this thread has been done before just for girlies stuff.

just thought of 1 more question to add :o

we have just booked our hire car (pick up from bkk airport once we land) and will drive to our hotel (courtyard by marriot) as we thought it best to spend a night in bkk to rest etc.

I recall on our last visit we got a taxi from a hotel in BKK to the airport and kept having to give the taxi driver money for the toll roads? unfortuantly I cant remember how much this was...does anyone have any ideas how much we should take to pay these?

also we land in bangkok at midday so will probably have a sleep in the hotel when we get there and then have a wonder around about tea time... are there any night markets on a sunday? and can anyone tell me what time the major shops are open till?

thanks so much again!

Dont forget to take your sense of humour as many who move there have seem to have left it back in there home countries. Exciting time for you.

I will be there for good in 185 days or 26 weeks and 3 days. I have also told my mates I will only be there for a year or so

thanks don...oh dont worry I plan on lifing my life and having a good laugh...the drive down is surly going to provide that...god know where we will end up haha. I will be taking lots of pics of the journey so will post these once I get there.

good luck to you...it will come around quick for you also!

just thought of 1 more question to add :o

we have just booked our hire car (pick up from bkk airport once we land) and will drive to our hotel (courtyard by marriot) as we thought it best to spend a night in bkk to rest etc.

I recall on our last visit we got a taxi from a hotel in BKK to the airport and kept having to give the taxi driver money for the toll roads? unfortuantly I cant remember how much this was...does anyone have any ideas how much we should take to pay these?

also we land in bangkok at midday so will probably have a sleep in the hotel when we get there and then have a wonder around about tea time... are there any night markets on a Sunday? and can anyone tell me what time the major shops are open till?

thanks so much again!

The night market is everyday including Sunday. All major shopping malls are open "till 10:00 The toll I believe is about 40 baht (total), but don't quote me since I have not lived in BKK. in over a year, and there are no tolls in the sticks where i live. Depending on where you are in BKK, I know that you hit a couple of toll roads. Best of luck to you two! Enjoy! :D

Edited by mizzi39

Just break a 1k baht note & ask for 200 baht in 20's should cover any tolls then depending on which route you take. I just had over 200 baht & driver calculates whats left from metre fare.