Thai Bike Licence Question

beammeup

I have a Thai drivers license but I would like to get a Thai bike license as I ride the wifes bike a lot and am thinking of buying a new bike. I don't currently have a o visa as I am working 1 month on and one off outside of Thailand. Do i need a visa to get the bike license if I already have a drivers license?

Thanks

I'd like to know about this too: I have a full UK/EC (car, not bike) driver's licence; does anyone know if this is good enough to drive

either a car (I often drive the wife's family pick-up on the assumption that the licence will be accepted by the Thai police, but I've never been stopped)

or a motorobike (I plan to buy one soon)?

Also, what other documents are needed for bikes? Where do you buy road tax from? (the post office?) and/or insurance? Are there any easy and accessible ways to do this, without getting bogged down in reams of Thai documents and signing up to some rip-off policy with AIA etc??

Thanks for any help given.

I'd like to know about this too: I have a full UK/EC (car, not bike) driver's licence; does anyone know if this is good enough to drive

either a car (I often drive the wife's family pick-up on the assumption that the licence will be accepted by the Thai police, but I've never been stopped)

Also, what other documents are needed for bikes? Where do you buy road tax from? (the post office?) and/or insurance? Are there any easy and accessible ways to do this, without getting bogged down in reams of Thai documents and signing up to some rip-off policy with AIA etc??

Softy, I think you need a Thai license to be covered by insurance.

This is a very open question, with no black and white answer I'm afraid. The letter of the law states that you must have a Thai license to validate your insurance, but on a similar thread several posters said that their insurance still paid up on a UK license/ IDP.

Also to the OP about getting a license - the law says you must have a non immigrant visa, but there have been reports of people getting licenses on a visa exempt stamp.

This, being Thailand, has no black or white, only varying shades of grey.

The first place to start is your local immigration office, you will need a certificate of residency. Take along your house book/ rental agreement/ letter from landlord or hotel, provide a couple of photos and copies of passport. They will then say yes or no, if it's yes then you are in.

Then you will need a medical certificate - go to any clinic with a green and white cross outside, tell them you need it for a driving license, and expect to pay 50-100 baht.

I was stopped with a UK license when I first moved here, no problems at all, but I have heard from others that they were fined for not having a Thai license.

Road tax is available anywhere - I normally go to a local car/ bike dealer as they have some online system for registering it.

Insurance is easy, go to any broker (ThaiVisa do it as well). You will also need the government statutory insurance (Parabo?), it's legal to drive with only this, but will only cover the third party's medical expenses (allegedly).

The new licenses are great, they are accepted as a form of ID, I've booked into hotels using only my driving license. They also get you Thai prices at the majority of tourist attractions in Thailand, potentially saving up to 400 baht per entry, which will more than recoup your expenses for getting one.

I have the cert of residence from when I got my driving license several years ago they said thats good enough, I'm going this morning so I guess we'll see! Got the medical thingy for 50bt.

I think the Residency Certificate is only valid for 3 months, but good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on.

This is a very open question, with no black and white answer I'm afraid. The letter of the law states that you must have a Thai license to validate your insurance, but on a similar thread several posters said that their insurance still paid up on a UK license/ IDP.

I understand that the letter of the law states "you must have a valid driving licence...". Now whether a UK/US licence is a valid driving licence is another question.

:o:D

I understand that the letter of the law states "you must have a valid driving licence...". Now whether a UK/US licence is a valid driving licence is another question.

:o:D

True but some insurers will wiggle on payment if you dont..

In my first year here I got insurance and was told 'its ok.. its ok' when I went to purchase insurance with a UK license.. I wanted it in writing on the papers of the insurance company that a UK license was fully insured and after a week of messing about it suddenly wasnt possible to write that.

I have the cert of residence from when I got my driving license several years ago they said thats good enough, I'm going this morning so I guess we'll see! Got the medical thingy for 50bt.

I think the Residency Certificate is only valid for 3 months, but good luck anyway, and let us know how you get on.

On Phuket they only accept (or did a couple of years back when I tried) the residency paperwork to be within 2 weeks old.. I dont know about medical one but I was denied using a residency paper when it was a bit over 3 weeks.

Also comedy, when I went to get my 5 year I wasnt sure if they wanted the residency thing again.. So yes they wanted a new proof of address, drove around to the immigration and to confirm my current address to them, I showed them my 1 year driving license, to issue me a paper, to take back across town, to get my 5 year license !!! Franz Kafka is alive and well and working in Thailand.

On Phuket they only accept (or did a couple of years back when I tried) the residency paperwork to be within 2 weeks old.. I dont know about medical one but I was denied using a residency paper when it was a bit over 3 weeks.

Also comedy, when I went to get my 5 year I wasnt sure if they wanted the residency thing again.. So yes they wanted a new proof of address, drove around to the immigration and to confirm my current address to them, I showed them my 1 year driving license, to issue me a paper, to take back across town, to get my 5 year license !!! Franz Kafka is alive and well and working in Thailand.

Well, believe it or not I got the license with a 3 year old residency cert and an expired visa. Either they didn't check the dates or they were bedazzled by my smile. I couldn't believe it I went through the whole process 7hrs in total expecting at any moment someone to notice but in the end they handed me a shiny new license. I walked out of that building with a big grin on my face. Someone up above must have been smiling down on me today.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry folks, help a newbie out here. Two questions:

1. The residency paper - are you talking about going to Suan Plu (Bangkok) Thai Immigration centre, or hour own embassy/consulate. I'd heard you needed something from the (in my case) British embassy. Is that right?

2. Can anyone give me the exact name & address/location of the place where you go to get the driving licence (car and bike). Everyone tells me 'it's up near Mor Chit', but hey, that not so easy to find if you don't know what you're looking for or what it's actually called.

Cheers again.

as far as i'm aware an international licence is required to drive in thailand, as well as your home country licence. my thai wife insures our car and i drive on an international, never had a problem with police a big smile always helps i find.

Your options are:

1) Get a motorcycle endorsement on your UK/EC license, then get an International Drivers License

2) Get a Thai motorcycle license

I got both the non-commercial drivers license and the motorcycle license from Thailand last year in BKK. I had to submit a bunch of forms, show my passport, US (Nebraska state) drivers license, passport, give some photos, etc etc. Then I had to do the color test, reaction test, and the depth perception test.

They almost did not give me the motorcycle license. They had a hard time reconciling the "class" on my US license (O - Any non-commercial vehicle except motorcycle) with the "endorsement" (M - Motorcycle)..even though the definitions are on the back of the license. After explaining to Poo Ying #1, Poo Chai #2, and Poo Chai #3, with my wife explaining in Thai what I was saying in English, they finally gave it to me.

Since you do not have the motorcycle endorsement on your UK/EC license, you will likely have to do the written test for MC as well..I do not know if they have a drive test.

One nit picking point.. People are telling you to get an international driving license.. You need to get an international driving permit.. NOT a IDL.. The IDL is not any more legal than your home country license and is essential a scam set up to lure the unknowing.

All that said another option would be to just buy an IDL from one of the many sellers online, these are not really legal in thailand but I have yet to encounter a policeman that could tell the difference (a buddy once used a video store membership card as a driving license !!!).. If you wanted to then legalize this you can often get away with using an IDL to convert it to a Thai legal license without retaking the driving portion of the test.

The IDL isnt legal.. The IDP is.. But 99% of people here cant tell the difference.