Wai Oh Wai

solent01

I done a WAI to a bargirl in Soi 6 Pattaya and afterwards got the best head I've ever had, am I wrong , or should I take note of all the plebs on Thai Visa ?

I mean c'mon.... I never saw the girl again, what the fawk does it matter, you guys are scared of your own shadows. :o

You must have performed a great 'wai' for her to do that. Did she reward you immediately afterwards.

faranglandoz

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never, unless you meet the parents.

edit// spleling

My wife's parents are younger than me so I don't bother waiing them either.

They are younger than you?!!

How much are you older than your wife?

Ohhh never mind, I don't want to feel sick :D

Ouch!! :)

Then I had better not say I have been older than all my g/f's parents except 2, The first and the present(ish) one ?? :D

Never, unless you meet the parents.

edit// spleling

My wife's parents are younger than me so I don't bother waiing them either.

They are younger than you?!!

How much are you older than your wife?

Ohhh never mind, I don't want to feel sick :)

How quick is your internet connection over there?

Why are you replying to a topic with the last post some 11 months ago.

Keep living in exile and try to keep up!

Oh yes I remember now, you are the forum Sin Sot expert, your experience's on the money being handed back from the parents of the bride. Hilarious

Why are you replying to a topic with the last post some 11 months ago.

Because I just posted a link to this topic from a new "waiing" topic for others to have some more background information and perhaps expand on it. Some topics don't have a shelf life you know. :)

On another thread someone said "Wai's are for thais"..... I think that says it all..

I have seen all too many foreigners acting like sheep-like sock puppets wai'ing everything from limbless beggars, bar-gurls, soi dogs, parking lot attendants, and service staff in restaurants. It makes my stomach hurt (from laughter).

The ever smiling yet diminutive inhabitants in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" have generations of oxymoronic ingrained behavior pawned off as alleged culture. I accept that because it is their country I live in, NOT because I buy into any of it. IF a thai wai's I'll nod back, and that's about as much acknowledgement as they'll ever get.

Going on 4 years here; never wai'd, never will.

My question to you is; "why wai; are you thai?"

So if you were in the UK or USA and someone offeed a handshake you would just nod would you

In any country you return respect in the way of that country.

I'd suggest you first learn your place in the Thai hierarchical system, and your place in Thailand... :)

When you've worked out that you are not part of the system and not part of the hierarchy, the rest falls easily into place...including how important you think it is for a foreigner to wai or not... :D

Politeness and respect can be shown in many ways, and Thais are bright enough to realise that... :D

To OP:

Do you regularly give priority to the following in place of your own value system:

- kreng jai

- other forms of hai kiad

- sam ruam

- strive to gain baramee

- phradet/phrakun

- bunkhun

- Sakdi Na

- avoid conflict

- lie to save face

- accept corruption as part of life

- Tod Krathin

- say yes to going to a private function (even knowing you will not attend) then not turn up without saying anything to the host, so it balances

- go silent when you are angry

- attach importance only to people in your family and work circles and behave selfishly when meeting other people knowing they are one off interactions

etc etc etc

Relax and realise people are different. Personally I'm my own person with my own principles and values. Anyone who can't appreciate that doesn't deserve a wai in the first place... :D

<deleted> is all this?

Can someone knowledgeable about the culture and fluent in English just lay down the basic rules about wai-ing in that language for the rest of us so we can just get on with it here?

Sorted.

The poster is only trying to show off. One of the words is old fashioned and never used now, another is one of the "royal " words only used by royalty.