New York Style Pizza Buffet!

DID YOU KNOW?

Remember that New York Style Pizza we talked about in the past?

In Thong Lo?

Well, apparently they closed the Thonglo Branch but still have one in Nana and I was told they're opening in Paragon.

Anyway, as I walked past the Nana branch the other day to have a gyros/shawarma for dinner, I noticed that New York Style Pizza had a (small) sign advertising a pizza buffet for 219 baht and a pizza buffet + spaghetti + coke for 289. I decided to try that instead of my gyros/shawarma dinner.

I was quite impressed considering the price. There is no buffet table, so they serve the pizza to your table, 2 big slices at a time; from the pizza flavors on display which they reheat... and that's a good thing because the cheese re-melts and the crust becomes crispy.

However, do NOT get the one for 289 baht (like I did) because the spaghetti sucked (very little sauce on it, and the sauce itself was tasteless). Just get the pizza buffet for 219 baht.

As long as they keep their price at 219 baht, I'll be back often for sure! :o

After reading reviews of NY pizza, I was looking forward to trying their product at the Suk. Soi 3-5 branch.

However, every time I look at their pizza slices in the window on offer, I am turned off.

The pizza looks like it is 30 hours old. Maybe I will work up the courage one of these days.

I guess that's a good deal if you're really hungry, but I think I'd rather buy a 50 baht slice at Ronny's, or at Bamboo Bar across from the Grace Hotel. It's not as if I'm going to eat more than 2 slices at a time anyway. If I'm gonna spend over 200 baht on pizza I'd rather get a whole pizza, freshly made, that I can take home and eat the next day.

After reading reviews of NY pizza, I was looking forward to trying their product at the Suk. Soi 3-5 branch.

However, every time I look at their pizza slices in the window on offer, I am turned off.

The pizza looks like it is 30 hours old. Maybe I will work up the courage one of these days.

I have also been prematurely turned off by their pizzas on display (look dry) and so I would only buy their freshly cooked pizzas in the past.

I tried it this time just because of the buffet, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that those 'dry' looking pizzas on display actually are pretty good with re-melted cheese and crispy crust once they reheat it in the oven.

They might have better sales if they didn't display the pizza so as not to turn off customers with the 'dry' looking slices; which aren't so dry after all once they're served! :o

The pizza looks like it is 30 hours old. Maybe I will work up the courage one of these

I guess that's a good deal if you're really hungry, but I think I'd rather buy a 50 baht slice at Ronny's, or at Bamboo Bar across from the Grace Hotel. It's not as if I'm going to eat more than 2 slices at a time anyway. If I'm gonna spend over 200 baht on pizza I'd rather get a whole pizza, freshly made, that I can take home and eat the next day.

I tried that New York Style Pizza place about a week ago too and I agree that the pizzas in the window look old and not too appetizing. If you go in and order an entire pizza though they will make a new one for you fresh. I was with two friends that night who helped me eat one and we all agreed that it wasn't bad. No, not as good as real New York pizza but things continue to improve little by little in this respect. As for the pizzas at the little shop outside the Bamboo Bar on Soi 3 across from the Grace I have tried them several times and have always been (really) disappointed. The shop right next to him however IMHO makes the best shwarma I have had in the whole "Little Arabia" neighborhood around Suk Soi 3. He is 10 baht higher (60 baht vs 50 at most places) but the quality makes it well worth the small extra expense.

• 4 weeks later...

Stopped by New York Style Pizza today for the first time on Suk Rd. between Sois 3 and 5, opposite the Landmark Hotel, and can offer a review, photos and an update on their new prices...

First, just as a preface, the pizza was pretty good, though not great. I too, as someone mentioned above, found the dough vs. cheese/toppings ratio to be a bit weighted to dough, though their pizza crust is thin style and nicely cooked in their ovens, so the crust itself is just fine. But I've also been told Californians such as myself are accustomed to heavier helpings of cheese on their pizza... So for me, it was a bit bready to the taste....

As to their pizza buffet offerings....either 1) the price of cheese really has been going up, 2) you pizza buffet gluttons have been cleaning the place out, or 3) they're just not getting enough customers. Because, what was reported as a 219 all you can eat pizza buffet is now priced on their specials menu at 289 baht. And the other buffet offering -- now pizza buffet plus four chicken wings, an order of garlic bread and a glass of Pepsi -- is now priced at 349.

Notwithstanding, I tried the regular pizza buffet and had an interesting result. Although they had already cooked XL 18 inch pizzas in the window, the manager offered to make me a smaller freshly cooked pizza with my choices of pizza styles off their menu (choosing up to 8 different menu choices of the 15 pizzas on their menu). So I picked the 8 styles I liked best, and wound up with eight different slices each of a different style. Those were OK and smaller slices, but the only one that really felt healthy in terms of toppings was the "hel_l's Kitchen" slice, where they pile on about 8 different toppings (the bottom slice below).

post-53787-1219344104_thumb.jpg

But I wasn't done then, since I'd been on a pizza-free diet for some time. So I asked for a couple more slices, and the manager gave me my choice from the 3 or 4 different styles on display in the window. Admittedly, they look old and tired in the window. But as reported by others, after reheating in the microwave, those three slices actually tasted and came out just fine... large enough to fold over sandwich style...and very hot and nicely moist. Between the fresh cooked and reheated, I'd probably pick the reheated as my preference. I've always thought next day pizza in the micro for some reason tastes better than the day before.

post-53787-1219344139_thumb.jpg

So while the buffet prices have gone up, there is some other good news, in that they now are offering happy hour drink specials from 2 - 6 pm daily, including all their beers, Baccardi Breezers and some other selections.... very good prices, as the following photo of the drink specials menu can attest. And nice for helping wash down that pizza.

post-53787-1219344176_thumb.jpg

They've also recently raised the prices on their regular, fresh made pizzas, as evidenced by the taped paper stickers now affixed to their paper menus....showing new prices of 555 baht for their XL 18 inch sizes (from 495 before) and 455 baht for their 16 inch L size pizzas (from 415 before).... Unlike most other places, all 15 of their main menu choices for pizzas are priced at the same amount, despite the variations in toppings.

However, at those prices, you really have to ask yourself whether their pizzas taste better or are a better value that nearby offerings such as Via Vai on Soi 8 or Limoncello nearby Soi 11... Having tried all 3, and others, I'd say for full pizza ordering, Via Vai and Limoncello are both better values and better prepared/tasting pizzas. But they don't have the pizza buffet either, so I'd say that really for now is NY Style Pizza's strong point.

Also echoing someone's comment above, my Thai GF ordered their regular spaghetti plate, and opined the noodles were a bit undercooked for her taste, and that she couldn't find any of mushrooms in the sauce. I tried the spaghetti also, and while the noodles issue wasn't a biggie for me, the general lackluster flavor of the sauce was a bit disappointing.

post-53787-1219344159_thumb.jpg

Their current/separate specials menu (which we had to ask for in order to see the buffet offerings, since it wasn't given to us by the server) makes no mention of the Thong Lor location, though it's still listed on their regular menus... There's also no mention on the menus or around the shop that I could see about a potential new location.

For late diners, they're showing their delivery hours as between 11 am and 3 am... and eat in hours from 11 am to 4 am daily... which makes them a nice option for post bar closing munchies.... Downstairs is just the lobby and kitchen, while on the second floor is the main seating/dining area. I don't much mind the higher price for a decent all-you-can-eat pizza buffet, especially when its new 289 baht price is still lower than a typical regular pizza at most places. But a bit more cheese and toppings would be nice. Oh well... I can dream....

post-53787-1219344210_thumb.jpg

post-53787-1219344226_thumb.jpg