Honestly. Is It Possible To Drive Legally Here?

Hi,

I just came back from a trip to Bangkok. I was called in by the police just after Ekamai and fined for not having registered the Carryboy installation.

The Carryboy was there when i bought my car, and they did not say anything about it when i renewed the registration last month; they just said that everything was in order.

Are the police doing this to people just because they think they really ought to get some extra money (thus, unavoidable), or am i supposed to go somewhere else, other than the Office of Land Transportation, to get my car checked from a legal point of view?

Anyway, i payed the fine (300 THB) to a supervisor, so the whole thing was either in order or all of them were probably a part of the scam.

/Hans

Hi,

I just came back from a trip to Bangkok. I was called in by the police just after Ekamai and fined for not having registered the Carryboy installation.

The Carryboy was there when i bought my car, and they did not say anything about it when i renewed the registration last month; they just said that everything was in order.

Are the police doing this to people just because they think they really ought to get some extra money (thus, unavoidable), or am i supposed to go somewhere else, other than the Office of Land Transportation, to get my car checked from a legal point of view?

Anyway, i payed the fine (300 THB) to a supervisor, so the whole thing was either in order or all of them were probably a part of the scam.

/Hans

Just pay it

You have to register the Carryboy installation? The enclosure-type or the bed-cover/hydraulic type? Enclosure I assume?

Never heard of that one. They are creative buggers, aren't they?

It's similar to the one you can see here:

http://www.pickupclubthailand.com/forum/vi...871b11d66beb841

I don't know if i even can register the installation. It all seams a bit too odd...

Yes, they are sort of creative to find out how to get money...

/Hans

You have to register the Carryboy installation? The enclosure-type or the bed-cover/hydraulic type? Enclosure I assume?

To me they always look more or less the same in their uniforms, but i suppose there are codes to read for the interested reader. :o

/Hans

Amazing Thailand.

Cant live with it ,,,cant live without it.

Its all in a good days work for the boys in brown.

What was the supervisor wearing by the way?

Yeah, i know, but i feel quite unhappy encourage them like that...

/Hans

Hi,

/Hans

Just pay it

I don't know if i even can register the installation. It all seams a bit too odd...

/Hans

well you think you have a problem listen to mine

I can buy a side car for a motorbike with no problems at all ( if that is what you call a side car )

They are illigal but everbody has one( and who ever makes them, keeps making them and get away with it) And yet I never ever seen a cop pulling some one over who has one.

But besides that, my Problem is a lot bigger then yours. I started building trailers a few years ago

and you don't believe what problems I have, I guess it is some thing new in Thailand, yes ok.

But for every trailer I build, I have to have a DRWG made up by an engineer( must be 3rd level)

Then approved by him(this is ok I guess) But then I have to register the trailer for a licence.

So I have to travel to BKK to do this. No, I am lying I travelled 6 times to BKK because there was

always some thing they did not like or some thing else they required which is just upper nonsense.

So after doing all this I finally got a licence ( after paying 5000 bth ) for the engineer and some more

for the licencing department. And I have to do this with every trailer I sell. And you think you have a problem ? :o

That's awful! :o I bet it must be a real struggle to get just a few Baths of overhead on your business...

My friend's friend used to export cars from Thailand to England, and that was an exercise not too different from your's. He had to go through the procedure for every car he exported; he couldn't just export 10 identical cars at the same time with a single set of documents.

/Hans

/Hans

I can buy a side car for a motorbike with no problems at all ( if that is what you call a side car )

They are illigal but everbody has one( and who ever makes them, keeps making them and get away with it) And yet I never ever seen a cop pulling some one over who has one.

But besides that, my Problem is a lot bigger then yours. I started building trailers a few years ago

and you don't believe what problems I have, I guess it is some thing new in Thailand, yes ok.

But for every trailer I build, I have to have a DRWG made up by an engineer( must be 3rd level)

Then approved by him(this is ok I guess) But then I have to register the trailer for a licence.

So I have to travel to BKK to do this. No, I am lying I travelled 6 times to BKK because there was

always some thing they did not like or some thing else they required which is just upper nonsense.

So after doing all this I finally got a licence ( after paying 5000 bth ) for the engineer and some more

for the licencing department. And I have to do this with every trailer I sell. And you think you have a problem ? :D

yeah they are creative. I get pulled over every time i go to bangkok. The ones that take the cake though are i got fined for having 2 small boxes in the back of my pickup one time and the last trip i got fined for having people in the back of the truck. Both of these are after i drove from Chiang mai to bangkok going through about 7 roadblocks with no problem.

A common answer to this type of thread is "just pay it", but why should we? The longer people continue to pay money to these thieves, sorry I mean police officers, the longer these scams will continue.

I realise nothing is going to change and I will soon get fed up with swimming against the tide, but I for one would like to be a law abiding citizen who does not have to keep paying "these creative buggers" (I like that phrase) because they have thought of a new scam.

Rant over.

So far i have met two guys that have been stopped by the police (one in Bangkok,and one near Lob Buri) that were fined 300 Baht.

Because their D/L was not in Thai, even though they both had Driving permits and full D/L,

from there home country's,????????????????????

colino

So far i have met two guys that have been stopped by the police (one in Bangkok,and one near Lob Buri) that were fined 300 Baht.

Because their D/L was not in Thai, even though they both had Driving permits and full D/L,

from there home country's,????????????????????

colino

Well the law is have a International Driving Permit or a Thai license.. So why the surprise.

Hi,

What colour are your license plates? White or Green?

There have been loads of policemen loitering around Sukhumvit (Thong Lor area) the last couple of days harassing motorists/motorcyclists. Maybe they are saving up for something nice...

Edited by ashacat

Both, i suppose. Green text on white background. :o

/Hans

Hi,

What colour are your license plates? White or Green?

Mainstream is boring. Let's keep swimming against the tide! :o

/Hans

A common answer to this type of thread is "just pay it", but why should we? The longer people continue to pay money to these thieves, sorry I mean police officers, the longer these scams will continue.

I realise nothing is going to change and I will soon get fed up with swimming against the tide, but I for one would like to be a law abiding citizen who does not have to keep paying "these creative buggers" (I like that phrase) because they have thought of a new scam.

Rant over.

A common answer to this type of thread is "just pay it", but why should we?

Cos you'll be walking home if you don't.

You missed this part of my quote out of your helpful reply "The longer people continue to pay money to these thieves, sorry I mean police officers, the longer these scams will continue."

I have just been along Sukhumvit where the BIB where continuing their harassment of motorcyclists, mainly Farang but a few Thai. One Thai motorcyclist noticed the road safety initiative, obviously thought he was going to be stopped as he wasn't wearing a helmet, so he just rode up on the pavement behind the officers. He of course was not stopped, nor did he see the need to stop talking on his mobile phone.

As I have said before I am not going to stop the illegal activities of these rogue officers, certainly whilst people pay officers off for an easy life and whilst it as clearly condoned by senior police officers.

Of course all officers do not take part in this initiative; others were sitting in their boxes, with their feet up engrossed in their newspapers.

I've been to the Office of Land Transportation today. The problem now more accurately appears to be that they've changed the total weight of the car by fitting the enclosure to it.

So, they have asked me to go to measure the weight at a weight station and come back to show them the weight certificate (or whatever it will be called).

The policeman said it's "no problem, just pay 150 Bath to get it sorted out, and then you'll have not have to pay the fine to the police every day", but it's not about paying 150 THB to operate in accordance with the law that is the point; the point is that it also implies a bloody saga to go here, there and everywhere (wasting a bloody day) and yet, tomorrow i'm getting charged for driving wearing a white shirt (or whatever).

I recently installed an LPG system followed by the registration extension at the Office of Land Transportation. The LPG system also changed the total weight of the car, but there were no requirements on heaving the weight checked to get the installation approved. Also, i think they should have told me that the enclosure was illegal and refused to extend the registration before i'd got the weight measured and added to the book. It just doesn't make any sense, at all, how they operate!

/Hans

Hi,

/Hans

/Hans

for the licencing department. And I have to do this with every trailer I sell. And you think you have a problem ? :o

Where are you Fred , I need some trailer parts .

I have just been along Sukhumvit where the BIB where continuing their harassment of motorcyclists, mainly Farang but a few Thai.

Sorry but it would be virtually impossible for them to be there targeting farangs, mainly due to the fact that there are very very few farangs on motorbikes. If they were there all day they might see one or two drive past compared to thousands of Thais. Do you really thin they are there to look for farangs on bikes who they can fine? :o

Edited by madjbs

Sorry but it would be virtually impossible for them to be there targeting farangs, mainly due to the fact that there are very very few farangs on motorbikes. If they were there all day they might see one or two drive past compared to thousands of Thais. Do you really thin they are there to look for farangs on bikes who they can fine? :o

Of course I didn't say they were targeting Farangs, I just relayed what I observed that all the Falangs were stopped, and there were certainly more than one or two in the few minutes I stopped to watch, and some of the Thais, except the guy driving on the pavement.

However they operate it is morally wrong, but I clearly have a minority view.

^

Of course I didn't say they were targeting Farangs, I just relayed what I observed that all the Falangs were stopped,

No you didn't, you said

the BIB where continuing their harassment of motorcyclists, mainly Farang

That clearly means you think they were targeting farangs. To stop "mainly farangs" they would have to be letting 99% of other people on motorbikes past, which I simply don't beleive. This is just another case of the boohoo I'm being picked on because I'm white syndrome which some people suffer from.

Edited by madjbs

^
Of course I didn't say they were targeting Farangs, I just relayed what I observed that all the Falangs were stopped,

No you didn't, you said

the BIB where continuing their harassment of motorcyclists, mainly Farang

That clearly means you think they were targeting farangs. To stop "mainly farangs" they would have to be letting 99% of other people on motorbikes past, which I simply don't beleive. This is just another case of the boohoo I'm being picked on because I'm white syndrome which some people suffer from.

Why don't you read what I said, rather than your view of what you think I said. I said that all Farangs were being stopped, that was a fact - I saw it. I don't really care if you believe it or not. As far as I am aware you were not there, I was.

And as for your sarcastic comment "This is just another case of the boohoo I'm being picked on because I'm white syndrome which some people suffer from" it doesn't really warrant a reply, save to say I was walking past and observed what was going no. I certainly wasn't being targeted, nor did I say so.

This thread was all about what do you have to do to stay legal, not really sure that it has been answered yet.

Yes, it would be really nice to know how to make sure the car is legal! :o

/Hans

This thread was all about what do you have to do to stay legal, not really sure that it has been answered yet.

I agree, thank you.

Anything else needed?

Rant over.

The first time i got pulled over for something that i did not do i refused to pay. This resulted in my having to go to the local police station the next day(sometimes not so easy to find) since the officer had to finish his shift before he could take my licens to the station. The next day when i went to get my license back i had to wait a couple of hours to get to see the guy that had my license. The worst part was that i had to listen to an half hour lecture from this guy about how bad of a person i was to come to thailand and break the traffic laws. He then fined me 400 baht and said it would be double next time. On top of this waste of time I hear they now have a points system in place.

Ever since this experience i always pay on the spot no matter how stupid the reason is they pulled me over.

Rant over.

The first time i got pulled over for something that i did not do i refused to pay. This resulted in my having to go to the local police station the next day(sometimes not so easy to find) since the officer had to finish his shift before he could take my licens to the station. The next day when i went to get my license back i had to wait a couple of hours to get to see the guy that had my license. The worst part was that i had to listen to an half hour lecture from this guy about how bad of a person i was to come to thailand and break the traffic laws. He then fined me 400 baht and said it would be double next time. On top of this waste of time I hear they now have a points system in place.

Ever since this experience i always pay on the spot no matter how stupid the reason is they pulled me over.

I have to confess that I tend to pay on the spot as well as it becomes an almost amusing experience, listening to the latest infringement they have cooked up to aid them in lightening your wallet! At the end of the day, the fines are very small and I find it far more acceptable paying to a smiling policeman who is after all only doing what his superiors tell him, than receiving a penalty notice in the UK advising you that you have been caught by a speed camera at half a mile an hour over the speed limit, pay up 80 quid and have 3 points on your licence!

Thailand may not be perfect but I for one will take the rough with the smooth!