Two Questions

raybona

Hi there,

Finally we've made up our mind. No longer possible in Goa, so, Jane is arriving end August while i have to stay one more month :o

I would like to know if she can change Indian rupees in the bank, because she has to take a lot of them with here in order to pay overweight ++ here?

Another thing, when she arrives in CM can she get a prepaid SIM card for her mobile at the airport, or in the city? Also which company do you think is best and how much does it cost, is it one year validity (1 month, or what) ? Does she need to fill in loads of documents + a couple of photocopy's (like here), or does it works civilised, and easy?

Thanks guys,

Ray

SIM card and a seperate top-up card can usually be picked up at 7-11. No documents, just cash. I *think* the price is like 500 baht for a SIM with some nominal amount of minutes included and then top up cards are sold in 100 baht or 300 baht values.

If 7-11 is not selling SIM cards, just head to any phone store in Airport Central Mall or Kad Suan Kaew and they will surely have it. Same arrangement as above, but more choice of phone number.

1-2-Call I think is the most popular one, and the one that I have always used.

Hope this helps,

-Mestizo

Bangkok Bank ( http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm ) publish exchange rates for Indian rupees in cash. This should mean that they actually do exchange them, though I've never tried it myself.

/ Priceless

Siam City Bank doesn't--which means they probably don't. Can't you buy some sensible currency on the infamous Indian 'black'? Market, that is--before you all jump on my case.

Hi there,

Finally we've made up our mind. No longer possible in Goa, so, Jane is arriving end August while i have to stay one more month :o

I would like to know if she can change Indian rupees in the bank, because she has to take a lot of them with here in order to pay overweight ++ here?

Another thing, when she arrives in CM can she get a prepaid SIM card for her mobile at the airport, or in the city? Also which company do you think is best and how much does it cost, is it one year validity (1 month, or what) ? Does she need to fill in loads of documents + a couple of photocopy's (like here), or does it works civilised, and easy?

Thanks guys,

Ray

India is a big place--you sure you've exhausted all options--this place ain't nirvana.

Bangkok Bank ( http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/We...es/FX+Rates.htm ) publish exchange rates for Indian rupees in cash. This should mean that they actually do exchange them, though I've never tried it myself.

/ Priceless

Siam City Bank doesn't--which means they probably don't. Can't you buy some sensible currency on the infamous Indian 'black'? Market, that is--before you all jump on my case.

Kasikorn Bank and Krung Thai Bank do, however, so why waste your time trying to locate a branch of Siam City Bank :o

/ Priceless

Hi there,

Thanks guys,

Ray

India is a big place--you sure you've exhausted all options--this place ain't nirvana.

Hi to all of you,

Thanks for the advice. Yes Jane comes with enough US$, but she has to fly from Goa to Mumbai, and from there to Thailand, so two airports inside India where the luggage and the dog + cage will be on the scale. that has to be paid in Rs. and since we don't know howmuch it will be, better take to many than to little :D

My friend used to change some Rupee to Thai bath, so I think there is some bank deal with it. Only make sure not too small note.

A question I have, is Jane use to be my English teacher? Welcome back to Chiang Mai.

opjade