Pattaya Police Raid Gay Pub For Illegal Openings

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: July 25th 2008

PATTAYA POLICE RAID GAY PUB FOR ILLEGAL OPENING

On July 25,2008, Tourist police and regular police raided a gay pub in the middle of the city, which was open for entertainment out of business hours. Police found more than 200 customers in the pub. Many of them did not have I.D. cards and some tested positive for drug consumption.

On July 25, at 3 AM, Pol.Lt.Col. Suwan Un-anan, Pattaya Tourist Police Investigator, and Pol.Col.Nopadol Wongnom, Pattaya Superintendent, jointly led a 20-man team of tourist police and police volunteers in a raid on "Tawanchai Club", located at 43/40, Soi Bongkot, South Pattaya, after complaints that the place had been run as a gay pub, with many Thais and foreigners gathering for unlawful purposes and also which had been opening out of hours.

Police found the car park of the pub full of cars and motorbikes belonged to customers. There were more than 200 customers, both Thai and foreigners, drinking, dancing and watching sleazy shows on the stage. Police commanded the D.J. to stop the music and turned on the lights before demanding all customers show their I.D.cards and submit to a urine check for drugs. Police discovered the registered pub owner, Mrs. Achara Tamaput, (50), from Chonburi, was not present, so police detained the pub manager, charging him with being open over the time limit.

Police took about an hour to check the business licence on the premises, which has been open for more than 3 months and also conducted a search for illegal substances, including drugs, both on the persons and in the systems of customers. Police found more than 20 people, both Thai and foreigner customers not carrying I.D. cards and more than 10 people tested positive for drug use. Police arrested the pub manager for illegal opening and detained customers without I.D. cards or for consuming drugs. The offenders will be prosecuted, accordingly.