Samui, A Paradise?

Yesterday I had a new and different experience on Samui:

The building and construction work had come to an end, the big noisy trucks had gone to work at another developing area and the old cars spitting out black smoke were take off the roads.

The draining work was all completed, there was no more flood in the streets and the sand was brushed away from the streets and roads, which were made up in an exelent condition.

The Ring-road was covered with brand new asphalt and everyone, Thais and farang were driving safely and carefully.

Even the taxi-drivers were smiling polite and charged me with a correct tariff. And I told myself, this must be a paradise on earth.

Then I suddenly woke up.............

The building and construction work had come to an end, the big noisy trucks had gone to work at another developing area and the old cars spitting out black smoke were take off the roads.

The draining work was all completed, there was no more flood in the streets and the sand was brushed away from the streets and roads, which were made up in an exelent condition.

The Ring-road was covered with brand new asphalt and everyone, Thais and farang were driving safely and carefully.

Even the taxi-drivers were smiling polite and charged me with a correct tariff. And I told myself, this must be a paradise on earth.

Strange, I have had the same "dreams"! Maybe one day :o it won't be a dream!?! :D

But I can't believe in it! :D

There are definitly very nice places on Samui to wake up! :o

Not again!!!!! Samui, as we all know does have it's problems. Where does'nt?? The fact is, it does still have that charm and elegance that pulls us all back time and time again. Yeah, the roads are poor and building work is at a frenetic pace (for now!) but we still go back.

Living in what is deemed by the rest of the World (UK) as a supposed developed Country :o i could go on and on about what is bad here. So yeah, it's still my bit of paradise anyway!!!! Next....

if u want parradise you should go to england wake up in the dark go to work come back home in the dark freezing cold. expensive. nothing to do apart from drink. as everything good is either expensive or jamed full of people. that is parradise. forget being only minutes away from the nearest beach. warm climate all year round. ladies to look at everywhere. cheaper to eat in resturant than in your home. if u work having your lunhc break on the beach. fishing, jet skiing, water with warm temperatures. corr who would want all that !

Well, if part of Paradise means nice smooth roads there is a big catch.

I was in Phuket a couple of weeks ago and the roads are nice, smooth and wide.

This allows high speed undertaking, overtaking, and undertaking on the hard shoulder.

Seems this is what happens when constraints are removed and no policing. It seemed much more dangerous than

Samui.

Perhaps I've turned into a wimp after driving here for so long but Paradise comes at a cost and at least the roads here

do provide a natural curb on the populations Formula 1 ambitions.

Are you gay?

There are definitly very nice places on Samui to wake up! :o

Are you talking about the $1,000 a nite up resorts? :D

Are you gay?

Why do you wont to know. Are you interested to be in my dreams too????

ive lived on samui 14 years ,in those days there were no roads ,so what we have now is better than then

14 years ago there were by far not so many cars, motorbikes, minivans, construction vehicles, etc on Samui. To drive around was a pleasure compared to now.

ive lived on samui 14 years ,in those days there were no roads ,so what we have now is better than then

14 years ago there were by far not so many cars, motorbikes, minivans, construction vehicles, etc on Samui. To drive around was a pleasure compared to now.

Totally different place 14 years ago than now. My first visit was in 1991 or 1992 (I can't recall for sure) in a February, not that long after the airport opened. I remember iSamui as being a fantastically picturesqeue place with calm tuorquose colored seas whose water was at bathtub temperatures. It was wonderful, but I went cazy after a few days because their was not much to do except get sun burned and to wait for coconuts to fall out of the trees. Now, it does seem a bit out of control to me and it's safe to say that it's become too "discovered". Somewhere in between 1991 and now was the sweet spot for me, around 2000-2002 it seemed incredibly great to me because there was just enough to do without being boring but not so much develoment to be overbearing. Now, Samui still seems like an agreeable place to me, though it's pace of change is has become so quick that I'm not sure that I have any idea what Samui will look like 10 or 15 years from now. I suspect that by then it will either be like Recife (Brazil) or Pattaya (Hades) and that it still won't be boring.

Edited by OriginalPoster