Acupuncture In Chiang Mai

willbartholomew

Anyone know of any quality acupuncture clinics or doctors in Chiang Mai?

No question in my mind..... Mungkala on Rachmankala. While there are other accupuncturists in Chiang Mai, the two doctors in Mungkala have always given me exemplary service, both in diagnostics and treatments.

Several times when I thought that I needed a series of acupuncture treatments, they recommended herbals instead. When a doctor tells me that I should spend LESS money, that impresses me! :o

Thank you kindly for your information on acupuncture in Chiang Mai. I went to Mungkala today and was very impressed with the entire experience. I saw the female doctor (not sure of her name but the other doctor there is male) and she did a very thorough interview before my first acupuncture treatment afterwards. The plan is for some acupuncture combined with herbal medicines. Time will tell how effective the treatment is but it is a very professional facility. Some may feel it is too expensive (500 bt/session) but if it works, I feel you can't put a price on good health. Thanks again for your help.

Thank you kindly for your information on acupuncture in Chiang Mai. I went to Mungkala today and was very impressed with the entire experience. I saw the female doctor (not sure of her name but the other doctor there is male) and she did a very thorough interview before my first acupuncture treatment afterwards. The plan is for some acupuncture combined with herbal medicines. Time will tell how effective the treatment is but it is a very professional facility. Some may feel it is too expensive (500 bt/session) but if it works, I feel you can't put a price on good health. Thanks again for your help.

There is also an excellent acupuncture clinic at the McCromick Hospital at half the cost of Mungkala.

There is also an excellent acupuncture clinic at the McCromick Hospital at half the cost of Mungkala.

• 11 months later...

for the most part i have been happy with the treatments i have received at Mungkala, but i'm a bit miffed about something: the first time i came in, i was asked whether i wanted a consultation with the doctor and they charged me an extra 200baht for this. shouldn't the intake interview be part of the cost of the treatment? it seems that one of the posters here didn't have to pay this extra fee. harumph!

also, when he comes in to treat me, i sometimes feel like he's not really listenting to anything i say.

one last thing that i'm hoping someone might be able to clarify: yesterday, i asked him to put a couple of needles in to boost my immune system (in addition to the other treatment.) he did stomach 36 and large intestine 4 (standard), but today when i asked him for the same, he seemed pretty careless about where he put the LI4 needle and it was at least 1cm away from where it is usually inserted (i have acupuncture a lot). i looked on the chart on the wall and there really doesn't seem to be another point nearby (closer to the thumb tendon). any chinese medicine people have an explanation for this?

all this said, the clinic is great, the staff is wonderful and i do trust them!

First session at Mungkala I felt superb; next session I've never felt so rough. :)

Does seem a good business, though - listen to someone's tripe, spend 2 minutes bunging some needles in and then bog off for 30.

The lady doctor at McCormick (whose name escapes me) does come well recommended. However, when I went there I felt pretty much like being on a conveyor belt. The large room was full of occupied beds and she was going from one to another extremely quickly, without saying very much to anyone. Her treatment didn't do anything for me (6 visits), but there are certainly a lot of customers.

Edited by uptheos

for the most part i have been happy with the treatments i have received at Mungkala, but i'm a bit miffed about something: the first time i came in, i was asked whether i wanted a consultation with the doctor and they charged me an extra 200baht for this. shouldn't the intake interview be part of the cost of the treatment? it seems that one of the posters here didn't have to pay this extra fee. harumph!

also, when he comes in to treat me, i sometimes feel like he's not really listenting to anything i say.

one last thing that i'm hoping someone might be able to clarify: yesterday, i asked him to put a couple of needles in to boost my immune system (in addition to the other treatment.) he did stomach 36 and large intestine 4 (standard), but today when i asked him for the same, he seemed pretty careless about where he put the LI4 needle and it was at least 1cm away from where it is usually inserted (i have acupuncture a lot). i looked on the chart on the wall and there really doesn't seem to be another point nearby (closer to the thumb tendon). any chinese medicine people have an explanation for this?

Yes I agree about your criticism of Mungkala point accuracy and selection. I studied AP a few years ago and the treatments I have received at Munkala are amatuerish. The sign of a good practicioner is that they really try to find "the spot" and will often twist it or use another needle until they get a twinge or reaction. Okay its a little bit less comfortable but it provides much better results. That is how they do it in China.

Find a practioner who uses pulse diagnosis to ascertain the root cause of the imbalance and not one who just treats symptoms.

Try Dr. Wang at the chinese pharmacy for comparison of Mungkala.

The lady doctor at McCormick (whose name escapes me) does come well recommended. However, when I went there I felt pretty much like being on a conveyor belt. The large room was full of occupied beds and she was going from one to another extremely quickly, without saying very much to anyone. Her treatment didn't do anything for me (6 visits), but there are certainly a lot of customers.

When I first started at McCormick there was a little bit of pain, but every visit got worse to the point where I dreaded going at all. I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and she told me that this was the only way to get rid of it, but other people told me that it should not hurt.

From what CobraSnakeNecktie says above, maybe she was correct, but it was too painful for me.

When I first started at McCormick there was a little bit of pain, but every visit got worse to the point where I dreaded going at all. I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and she told me that this was the only way to get rid of it, but other people told me that it should not hurt.

From what CobraSnakeNecktie says above, maybe she was correct, but it was too painful for me.

U.G. ... No doubt good A.P. can be painful. Somewhat depends on the problem. They are trying to reetablish energy pathways in the body. It's kind of like when you wake it after sleeping on a limb and it's painful as heck when the limb wakes up.

It's very common to have muscle spasm's, hot pain sensations, panic etc with good A.P.

In Traditional Chinese medicine(TCM) protocol A.P is one of the last or more serious treatments for inbalance. Before A.P. dietary changes and tonics are prescribed as well as movement exercise like Tai Chi or Chi Gung. These are more gentle and can be practiced anytime. Also less expensive, A.P. is for the stubborn cases that are serious and did not respond to the lesser measures.

I would try to master the balanced, tonified diet and movement exercises first and then go to A.P. for the stubborn problems. Also A.P. works much better if these simpler measures are being utilized. Chi Gung and Tai Chi exercises both build Chi energy and help it distribute in the body. Proper food and tonics help this energy find balance or harmony in the body.

Skip these steps and the A.P. practioner is trying to sqeeze blood from a stone because they don't have enough Chi energy to work with.

Modern life can reduce the Chi because of overstimulation from caffeine, alcohol, sugar, sex, drugs, rock and roll, Television etc. All the fun stuff in life.

Disclaimer. If you take issue with Chinese medicine concepts then contact the Chinese. I am from Colorado USA.

Thanks for that. I wish I'd known that before I started the treatment, but all everyone kept telling me was that it should not hurt.

All that being said, I'm still not sure that I could face doing it again as each needle was so painful, and you never knew how many they would use, but now I know the reason why.

Yes I agree about your criticism of Mungkala point accuracy and selection. I studied AP a few years ago and the treatments I have received at Munkala are amatuerish. The sign of a good practicioner is that they really try to find "the spot" and will often twist it or use another needle until they get a twinge or reaction. Okay its a little bit less comfortable but it provides much better results. That is how they do it in China.

Find a practioner who uses pulse diagnosis to ascertain the root cause of the imbalance and not one who just treats symptoms.

Try Dr. Wang at the chinese pharmacy for comparison of Mungkala.

If you know so well why not putting the needles in your body yourself?

Expensive? If you think about the years of studying and have a quality practice, And your health is important for you Nothing is expensive!

I am a regular customer at Mungkala and have absolutely Nothing to complain.

Hurray for Mungkala!!

In Traditional Chinese medicine(TCM) protocol A.P is one of the last or more serious treatments for inbalance. Before A.P. dietary changes and tonics are prescribed as well as movement exercise like Tai Chi or Chi Gung. These are more gentle and can be practiced anytime. Also less expensive, A.P. is for the stubborn cases that are serious and did not respond to the lesser measures.

This post also explains why Munkala tried to get me to take herbs instead of doing acupuncture when I went there. I don't understand why they did not just explain it as you have. Thanks very much again. :)

!

Expensive? If you think about the years of studying and have a quality practice, And your health is important for you Nothing is expensive!

Hurray for Mungkala!!

self needle placement sounds good in theory and works on the easily accessible places but impossible for the back etc. When its done right and the needles are twisted it does hurt some and its kind of hard to do that yourself. Believe me I have experimented but most practioners I know just about never place their own needles. Too easy to barter with others.

That's great you love Mungkala.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

!

Hurray for Mungkala!!

self needle placement sounds good in theory and works on the easily accessible places but impossible for the back etc. When its done right and the needles are twisted it does hurt some and its kind of hard to do that yourself. Believe me I have experimented but most practioners I know just about never place their own needles. Too easy to barter with others.

That's great you love Mungkala.

Too lazy one morning to battle the Toyoto Vigo drivers and the moat area one way system to get to my usual doctor, I stumbled upon a small GP office behind the Limping Supermarket (Raum Chok/San Sai area) on Second Ring Road. I had a swollen gland, and the doctor there proceeded to administer acupuncture to various areas. After numerous questions from the Doc of 'Feel better?' I finally lied, and told him yes (to avoid further mutilation and pain). It was otherwise quite an amusing experience, as the Doc reminded me in someways of a pro-active version of Basil Fawlty!) He then gave me some pills, relieved me of 100 Baht and told me that I would be better in 2 days.....

2 days later, still sufferring, my regular GP Doc told me I had the mumps!

LOL