Laser Disk Player

L&J

Know it is unlikely to find one but does anybody have a Laser Disk Player (the ancestor of the dvd player)

that they would like to sell? PM me if you do or have a good idea on where to find one. Thanks

Wow - blast from the past !

About 8 years ago I passed on to a friend a small collection of Laser discs (8" & 12") that had been given to me as promotional material and prelease stuff back in the day that LD was the thing to have....

Sadly most of the discs had delaminated, were patchy or otherwise did not play. LD Rot was a well known problem with the discs even during their (brief) period of success.

You could just screw the discs straight onto the front of a Som Tam cart ?

If I had any discs left I would buy a small clock and mount it in the center of the disc - a small piece of history.

( I notice a few on ebay - if they are what they say they are, $40! )

Good luck with your quest.

You might want to post in the techie forum as well - catch a few more people that are LD aware.

Edited by Cuban

Yeah truly a blast from the past. I never like LD, it is big for crying out loud. I think its the LD only last about 5 years before DVD made it obsolete.

Anyways, good luck on your LD player hunting.

No luck finding a player here in Thailand. EBAY is flush with great deals but wouldn't

even want to contemplate shipping one here. A friend was given a large collection of discs

and we are trying to find some way to use them. It took me a couple of months to find a

used slide projector but eventually found one in Bangkok, so there is always hope.

JOHN

Apart from the novelty - and if there were anything on the disc that is not availible anywhere else on any other format, is it worth doing because it's there or (almost) possible.

That said I have some old computer hardware that I have kept, thinking that one day....

No luck finding a player here in Thailand. EBAY is flush with great deals but wouldn't

even want to contemplate shipping one here. A friend was given a large collection of discs

and we are trying to find some way to use them. It took me a couple of months to find a

used slide projector but eventually found one in Bangkok, so there is always hope.

JOHN

I have a laser disc player, a very high end one that I bought about 20 years ago, and a collection of a few hundred LDs that I collected at the time, mostly films. I am not interested in selling any of them, but I will send you a PM with some other ideas.

• 2 months later...
You should have asked a few months ago. I throw mine on the tip!

The OP did. He posted his request in July.

I'll repeat here an offer I made some months ago, and was never taken up on. I have a number of LDs of Monty Python's Flying Circus that I would be happy to give to anyone who wants them.