Acceptabel Reasons For Swift Transfer To Thailand

So - what shall i put in as a reason?

I send these from the UK every month within Europe and at Lloyds it doesn't ask for a reason.

If it did then I would no doubt put 'Need to send money' or 'No cheaper and quicker option' as the reason for using swift.

It's not just a "UK bank thing", it applies to many banks globally including, from personal experience, those in Hong Kong and Europe. I believe that the basis for it all began with JWB's war on terrorism earlier this century and am surprised to see that UK/European banks have adopted the measures whilst apparently some US banks have not. HSBC Hong Kong, UK and Bangkok all require this information.

Its was already long before 9/11 that EU banks ask to fill in the reason why. Its was original started agains money laundring in the 90s.

SWIFT fees from the US vary from free (if you are a preferred customer) to 50 or 60 dollars max.

Citibank (Citigold account)...US$ 20 per transfer...regardless of amount. I once phoned and asked them what to put in the "reason" field for online transfer form and they said "merchandise purchase."

> Can you do this by post from Thailand?

I do not think this is possible.

> I understand they do not accept email or fax?

I believe that is correct.

> There seems to be some conflicting reports that you need a UK address?

I believe that you may need to be 'resident' in the UK to hold the account.

> Is depositing cheques or succesion of cheques cheaper than SWIFT?

This is the reason that I am answering your post, the issue here is that any check that you draw on your UK account will be in GBP Sterling. Any Thai bank will produce a long list of 'fees' to handle and translate your GBP into THB. It will also take a long time for the funds to clear.

> What charge is made for cheque deposits by the Thai bank?

It will vary between banks and the daily FX rate - unless you are transfering a large sum - it is not worth the effort. Use Swift.

Never been asked for a reason by a UK or German bank when transferring money to Thailand. Nat West, Deutsche, RBS.

However, if it is more than 20,000 USD equivalent, then i have to go the bank in thailand to sign a piece of paper before the funds are released into my thai bank account. On the paper i have to give a reason why i have bought the money into thailand. Property seems to be the accepted thing to write. anyone ever written anything different ?