Where Can I Learn About Shipping Private Belongings To Bangkok

phetaroi

In less than 90 days I will be putting my home up for sale in preparation for retiring in Bangkok. And yes, I have spent a great deal of time over the past 15 years in Bangkok and Thailand, so I know it's what I really want to do. One by one I am checking off the things I have to learn in order to make the move...and the literal moving part is next. I have found a company called Blue Move International Relocation in my area that handles moves between the Washington, D.C. metro area (where I live) to Bangkok. However, I don't even know what I should be asking when I make an appointment with them. Suggestions? Thanks!

In less than 90 days I will be putting my home up for sale in preparation for retiring in Bangkok. And yes, I have spent a great deal of time over the past 15 years in Bangkok and Thailand, so I know it's what I really want to do. One by one I am checking off the things I have to learn in order to make the move...and the literal moving part is next. I have found a company called Blue Move International Relocation in my area that handles moves between the Washington, D.C. metro area (where I live) to Bangkok. However, I don't even know what I should be asking when I make an appointment with them. Suggestions? Thanks!

Questions:

Will my status (see red above) preclude me importing my personal effects?

Who will arrange port charges?

Who will pay?

Who will arrange customs duty?

Who will pay?

Who will arrange insurance?

Who will pay?

How much "funnie munnie" is required?

Who will pay?

Who will cover damage/breakages?

Getting the picture?

I would think twice about shipping anything other than items that have sentimental attachment.

If your still intent on shipping check with the Thai community in D.C. and find out if there are any Thai companies in the area that they use for import export.

Five years ago I did just what you are preparing to do and many of those items are still in boxes. I lived in LA area at the time and used a Thai company in N. Hollywood, which also had a Bangkok office, and they provided great service. They cleared the shippment through customs and delivered to our house up country for an extra $100. The box arrived at the house still in same condition as we last saw it in LA.

My wife did have to send her passport to shipping company office in Bangkok for use at customs in Bangkok.

The options are to ship a 4ft wide X 4ft deep X 8ft high box on a pallet (crates other than this size incur additional cost) or you can ship using a container.

A Thai national that has lived out of kingdom for year can bring one container in duty free.

I agree the OP should think long and hard about what he is bringing. No electronics or electrical items for sure. IMHO furniture is not worth shipping. Pretty much just sentimental items like photos and such. Some people get attached to books, personally I would not ship them just to put on bookshelf. You can start a collection here. Some clothes, but would look at that very hard.

Otherwise, shipping to Bangkok is pretty much like any other move. They come and pack, you fill out insurance form, their local affiliate will contact you when it arrives, they discuss duty issues (often with an offer of a lump sum charge to just pass through as opposed to opening and individual assessment), and then they deliver it.

They are professionals, they know what questions you should ask.

TH

Edited by thaihome

• 2 weeks later...

Do not bring anything electrical with you..dont even buy a transformer. Best you sell and re-buy should you decide to return, or leave it with a relative.

Do not bring shoes that are not sewn. The heat can un-glue anything glued.

DO not bring anything with a lot of rubber? Like on speakers and such. That will disintegrate over time.

Limit your leather goods, if your house is not properly temperature controlled, it can mold on you.

However, bring all your good leather belts.

If you are extremely large (ie big and tall), bring your clothes.. large as in anything bigger than a size 40 waist.

If you get migranes and you are picky as to what you take, then bring your alleve with you.

If you ever need tums or rolaids, bring that too.

Your luggage limit is a good 50 lbs x 2, plus your carry on.. that is quite a bit of clothes and other what nots.

As others have said, bring only items of sentimental value. Anything else, you can purchase here.

You can get very good bargains from expats on their way out if you are not picky on what you buy here (in terms of electrical stuff)

But if you JUST have to bring a container.. then the things to know are:

In the US we move according to the weight of our belongings as opposed to the volume. So, if they underestimate the weight, and say they gave you a quotation of 4,000 USD, they can tack on another 1,000 if your shipment weighs more than they calculated. I have no idea how to get around this.

How much are they charging you in the estimation.. (quote), as in what weight amount.

You can also pack yourself to avoid the old "one pillow per box" move.

But to swing from your move..

Your bank accounts?? Will you close your bank accounts?? If after 6 months you have no activity they will go dormant and then after another 6 months to the state. At which point you HAVE to return to the states to fix the problem. So.. set up your online banking to have 5USD go from checking to savings every month and or vice versa.

Your credit cards? Do you want to cancel your cards? If you do and you want to return to the US, with no job and no address in the US you will be hard pressed to get another card....

Do you want to maintain a US presence but not necessarily have your mail go to a friend or relatives house then...

What about your drivers license? Do you want to lose it? Or still be able to renew it??

Set up a mailbox address with one of those mail forwarders and have everything come to your new PO BOX, which for all practical purposes reads like a home address. Then once every couple of months you can have them UPS or Fed-Ex your mail to you here. They will even sort out the junk mail for you. If you should do this, do not let them send your mail by regular USPS. Your mail will go missing in Thailand.

As for anything that you can set up to be paperless.. set them all up paperless.. your bank statements, and credit cards.. and have them send you the monthly bill reminder by email so that you can make sure your credit cards are in tact.

Is your family freaking out that you are moving so far away, how will they call you? Set up a VOIP account (I like Skype) in which case you can buy a phone number (for any area code you want) and your mom/siblings?/kids?? can call and check up on you (as a local call) when they feel the need. For a little bit more, you can have an international plan which allows you to call any western number for as long as you want to. In addition, all 1-800 numbers on Skype are free.

feel free to pm me if you want

• 3 months later...