Desperately Needing Your Advice

The moral of the story must be " dont become an inpatient type of guy"

roy gsd :o

Boom boom !

.. and they said music hall was dead - good effort Roy :D

Inpatient or impatient?

I'm off to do a thing at the Pattaya Expats Club next week so i'd better be careful... take an umbrella or keep looking upwards.

Thanks for all the funny suggestions but I think I'm not going to write the book after all.

Andrew

Andrew, I know you're a professional writer and I'm sure better than I could ever be. However, my opinion on your new idea is that it's absolutely horrible. Full of way too many cliches and just reinforces the notion that farang writers are only interested in writing about bargirls and Pattaya as that's all they know. Please don't write this book. It would be a huge mistake. I'm sure you could add your own flavor to it, etc. and maybe do it better than anyone has. I don't really know because I don't think I've actually read anything you've written. Surely you've lived in Thailand long enough to be able to come up with something much, much better than this old story line. Perhaps something original and the where the main characters are not an old white guy and a bargirl (didn't catch how old your protagonist was supposed to be)? Please, please reconsider. I'm sure you can think of a great new, original story that will shock expat readers when they realize it's not about a gullible newby who falls in love with a lying girl from Isaan. Now I'm going to read the rest of the thread and hope your original post was a joke. Best of luck. And this post was meant in all seriousness and good cheer. Take it as constructive criticism.

Edit: Ok I just read and see you were joking. But in your novel, of what line of work does the Thai girl make her living? Perhaps you could do a Thai-Thai love story? The white guy who Thai girls just can't resist so they date him instead of a Thai guy is also getting old as central to a plot.

Edited by Jimjim

Too many farang would step forward to claim the book is based on 'their' life story.

How about a black comedy piece, some group of people are killing visitors to the country by faking high dive suicides and the police are baffled each and every time. The hero could be a rough raw pink flea-bitten misunderstood soi dog called fluffy. Most of the thoughtful scenes take place either in a 7-11 by the police station where a minor character keeps on popping in to ask for some playing cards or under the floodlights at the beach road end of Pattaya Soi 6. If the dog had half an ear missing it would make a good icon for the book's cover and a marketing campaign with pink/black T-shirts with the dog saying "I didn't jump!" in a speech bubble.

I'd buy it.

Scrub that. How about a cyber thriller revolving about the day to day confusions that arise when some 2,000 people from different countries gather on one internet forum to discuss the price of a 10 Baht bus fare and someone opens a poll asking about the best......

The character 'Fluffy' could re-surface half way through to give readers a feel good feeling.

...but you would need a diferent T-shirt, how about "Click here for Null vote."

How about he gets out of the hospital, desperate to find his lost love. He starts looking for any known acquaintances and family members. After looking for a long time, he finds a sympathetic ear in one of her distant female cousins. She tells him that the girl he fell in love with is no good, as he spends time with this cousin, he falls in love. Eventually they marry and after a year, he starts asking about children... after a teary night, and much discussion, she decides to tell him why there can be no children between them. It's then he finds out that she's actually the "cousin" that originally beat the crap out of him and put him in the hospital. You see after the ordeal, he/she felt so bad about it, and realized that he/she had lost her meal ticket, so he/she went out and had a sex change, and let herself be found, when he/she heard that he was still looking for his lost love. :o