C.rai Atm's Not Doing What They're Supposed To Do

brahmburgers

I have a Citibank ATM (from USA) and it's worked rather well until recent days.

Now, I keep getting message: "invalid amount" or less often: "communication error."

I know my account and card are Ok, and can even get a balance statement at the ATM's.

Are others having similar set-backs?

Any suggestions for the most compliable ATM's are appreciated.

I have a Citibank ATM (from USA) and it's worked rather well until recent days.

Now, I keep getting message: "invalid amount" or less often: "communication error."

I know my account and card are Ok, and can even get a balance statement at the ATM's.

Are others having similar set-backs?

Any suggestions for the most compliable ATM's are appreciated.

Brahms

I've had similar probs when I try to take out largish sums. I was once told that the machine can only issue twenty (20) notes at one time. That means that if the machine is loaded with 100's then you can only get 2,000 per time.

Try a small amount and see what you get. :o

Never had a problem on Friday and I usually draw out 10K at a time to save on fees.

It was a new machine as well, I stopped at the new supermarket going out of town on the old Chiang Mai road.

The ATM there had no Visa sign and I feared the worst but it spat.

My guess is Citibank has locked down your ATM card. I had a similar problem with an ATM card that was working fine for several weeks in Thailand and then all of sudden stopped working. I phoned my bank and sure enough they had inappropriately locked it down. Call Citibank and find out.

Many people are not aware of how ATM machines are programmed.

1. After your card is ejected you have 30 seconds to collect it or the machine will eat it.

2. If you have entered your password incorrectly 3 times the machine will lock your account.

3. If you card is stolen it will keep it.

This happens frequently at the 2 machines that we have at Don's Mall and the customers blame me. I posted signs on the machines to the above effect and the banks removed them.

Your card have been lock , that is the main reason . Have use both credit and debit card issued by my home country for years without any problem . I always inform the bank that from certain period i will be in thailand and they will not block any withdraw from thailand . Good luck .

Your card have been lock , that is the main reason . Have use both credit and debit card issued by my home country for years without any problem . I always inform the bank that from certain period i will be in thailand and they will not block any withdraw from thailand . Good luck .

Update from OP: Ii thought so, but after calling the support# on my card they said it wasn't blocked.

Even so, most ATM's in C.Rai won't play ball with me, though did get some cash from a TMB (Thai Military Bank) machine 2 days ago. It's the one on the left side of the entrance to the Night Bazaar The downside is they take out 194 baht (fee?) with each dispensation.

Today, a SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) machine gave me money. An employee inside told me that their ATM is programmed to give up to Bt.200,000 per day, though it's in max 20,000 increments. Even with 20 baht per transaction, it's a great deal.

Up until today, I thought Bt.20k per day was max. I'm not rich, but I have to get a lump sum together for a house purchase here - balance due soon.

Yay for SCB! It's good to know that at least one bank in town is doing what they're supposed to be doing. BTW, it's not only where the Thai royal family keeps it's dough, it's also my bank.

Update from OP: Ii thought so, but after calling the support# on my card they said it wasn't blocked.

Even so, most ATM's in C.Rai won't play ball with me, though did get some cash from a TMB (Thai Military Bank) machine 2 days ago. It's the one on the left side of the entrance to the Night Bazaar The downside is they take out 194 baht (fee?) with each dispensation.

Today, a SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) machine gave me money. An employee inside told me that their ATM is programmed to give up to Bt.200,000 per day, though it's in max 20,000 increments. Even with 20 baht per transaction, it's a great deal.

Up until today, I thought Bt.20k per day was max. I'm not rich, but I have to get a lump sum together for a house purchase here - balance due soon.

Yay for SCB! It's good to know that at least one bank in town is doing what they're supposed to be doing. BTW, it's not only where the Thai royal family keeps it's dough, it's also my bank.

Nice to hear that you have found a solution to your problem . Cheers .

update continuum,

despite assurances by Siam commercial bank officer (of Bt.200k limit per day), 30k is max that I was able to withdraw in one day. Even so, the SCB ATM (by the big catholic church downtown) has rated best in my informal survey of about 45 local ATM's.

200k if you have an account with them and withdrawing using their atm card .Thats the max limit they could give . For us using oversea card we are restricted to 30k per day for our own protection and with debit card we could do up to our bank given limit .

200k if you have an account with them and withdrawing using their atm card .Thats the max limit they could give . For us using oversea card we are restricted to 30k per day for our own protection and with debit card we could do up to our bank given limit .

OP pipes in again: Actually, it's 33k per day for most people with ATM cards (at least most of dems tied to American banks). The reason is there's a $1,000 limit per day, and the current exchange rate crunches that to Bt.33k plus change. Also; the daily limit for withdrawals counts the week-end as one day.

I'm getting a better handle on the ATM imbroglio, and am finding that other ATM machines in C.Rai work for my card. Plus, I was able to call my Citibank service tel# and get them to re-set the daily limit on my card early - which allowed for two max withdrawals in a 24 hour period.

Am still not sure whether the 24 hour clock regarding withdrawal limits coincides with midnight Thai time or with midnight where the overseas account is held. Anyone know?