Atm Network Problem?

Acharn

Over the last month, I've been having frequent problems using my VISA card. I've been using this card and account for many years. When the ATM gives me a "transaction canceled" message, if it's during banking hours, I can go in to the office and make a cash advance with telephone confirmation, but I don't usually carry my passport with me. Also, I often want to make the withdrawal after office hours.

It's not that serious a problem, yet, but I was wondering if it is a problem with the banking system's private network? Have other people been having problems the last couple of months? Or is it just me, which means it probably has something to do with my bank's network?

Over the last month, I've been having frequent problems using my VISA card. I've been using this card and account for many years. When the ATM gives me a "transaction canceled" message, if it's during banking hours, I can go in to the office and make a cash advance with telephone confirmation, but I don't usually carry my passport with me. Also, I often want to make the withdrawal after office hours.

It's not that serious a problem, yet, but I was wondering if it is a problem with the banking system's private network? Have other people been having problems the last couple of months? Or is it just me, which means it probably has something to do with my bank's network?

Happens all the time,i generally go to another ATM and hey presto :o

Happens all the time,i generally go to another ATM and hey presto :o

No, in my case I go to half a dozen different machines, belonging to different banks, and none of them work. This happened just yesterday, starting at 1:00PM. I tried again at 5:30, still "transaction canceled". One time, about four months ago, I ran into an Australian guy at one machine who said he also had tried five or six different banks and couldn't get anything, so I had confirmation that it wasn't just my card. I was hoping for some indication from a wider crowd -- if it's just me, then the cause is probably my bank or account, but if it's lots of people the cause may be the Thai banking system netword (they don't use the internet).

When I arrived at BKK from overseas, ready to begin my life here, I wanted to withdraw my 1st baht from the ATM machine but I got hit with the "communication error" message. Tried different ATMs at the airport without any luck. Because I rarely used my ATM card in the past, I had no clue what caused the problem. I had to exchange some dollars so I would have pocket money. That was about 1PM. By the time I got to the train station 5 hours later, the ATM machine were back in action. I also learned a lesson. I brought 2 different ATM cards but from the same bank. When I went back to the USA for a brief visit, I got 2 more ATM cards from 2 other financial institution.

I used the ATM machine in CM last Thursday (7/24) and had no problem. I am planning to withdraw some money tomorrow.

When I used to use US ATM cards here, I got that communication error quite often. I learned to avoid certain Thai bank ATMs and also to stay calm and wait a day, and try another bank. The only time there was anything wrong with my US account was from the ATM at Changi Singapore (where there is alot of fraud) and my account was blocked until I called the US bank (they even sent me an email). I think there was a more disturbing error message there, but not sure. This leads me to believe it is usually not the home country bank being the problem. I remember having the best luck with SCB and Bangkok Bank.

Edited by Jingthing