Not sure if this is the right section or not. We would like to arrange for a Cambodian housekeeper's visa/work permit to enter Thailand. Anybody out there know the procedure? Before the flame's start about just have her walk accross the border, we would really like too due all legally

<br />Not sure if this is the right section or not. We would like to arrange for a Cambodian housekeeper's visa/work permit to enter Thailand. Anybody out there know the procedure? Before the flame's start about just have her walk accross the border, we would really like too due all legally<br />

hire a thai housekeeper, more simple, cheaper and you won't remove someone from his country.

I don't think you can arrange a work permit unless you have a business.

There is a process whereby foreign workers can be "registered" which is what is generally yused for low wage and manual laborers, I believe a Thai national would have to do it and the rules and processes seem to keep changing. I know it is done at the Ampur office so maybe strat by asking there. I believe it costs in the range of 50,000 Baht...not cheap.

Another option, since I see you live in Chantaburi, is the "border pass" system. Cambodians can get a booklet and then passes which entitle them to go to and work in the border provinces of Sakeo, Prachniburi and (I am pretty sure) Chantaburi. They may not travel beyond those locations and the passes are valid for only a week, but can be renewed at the border. I think the initial booklet costs about 1,9000 - 1,500 baht and then the pass is around 100 Baht. I frequently have Cambodian workers come in that way to help me with heavy gardening and home repairs etc.

The main inconvenience with that system is the hassle and cost of needing to go back to the border every week. Also I am not sure if the system is in effect at other border crossings as I have only had experience with it at Poipet/Aran. But it's worth asking about.

If she applies to apply for this she must give a Cambodian address that is near the border i.e. in Banteay Meanchey or perghaps Battambang when she applies.

She can arrange all this (the border pass) herself, does not need anything from the employer to do it.

Thanks all....................Please do not take this wrong.....I have had three Thai housekeepers and the breakdown is;1. show up for work when they felt like it., 2. theft., 3 brought the kids with them. and 4. did all the above .

Will take a run to the border Pong Ron and find out a bit more.

Thank you sheryl