Sandwash Or Tiles?

ThaiPauly

I never did manage to remove the unsightly stains from my tile surrounded pool, even using acid, so currently the tles ae being ripped up.

The problem is I still don't know if I hould use sandwash or not. My wife says it will get dirtier quicker, after reading about the stained sandwash ad having seen for myself a lot of dirty sandwashed pool terraces I have to agree, but most of the big hotels and resorts use sandwash and I have just looked at maybe a dozen or so houses currently for sale in my area and it seems that 10 out of 12 used sandwash.

Any opinions woud be warmly welcomed

Thanks

TP

I'd opt for the sandwash option TP.

I have a large sandwashed area around my pool (installed 2 years ago) and it still looks like new.

Any stains or algae growths can be easily removed with a 30% pool acid/ 70% water wash left for about 5 minutes.

I don't have a recent picture but here is a photo of the pool area before filling when we were planting our garden.

I used sandwash also and although it does seem to get dirty the nicest feature is that it is very non slip and feels nice to walk on. I also used it to line the entire pool, liking the "natural" look of it, but I think that this was a big mistake because the orange color combined with the natural blue of the water gives a green appearance and I wish I had used blue tiles there instead.

Thanks everyone,

especially Jai Dee for the pics.

we have decided on Sandwash with some mosaic tiles set into it.

The was will be pinl which matches the colur of our house, I brought a big lab of the stuff away with me to see what it looks like and think it maatches well.

I will post a pic when it's finished

I'd opt for the sandwash option TP.

I have a large sandwashed area around my pool (installed 2 years ago) and it still looks like new.

Any stains or algae growths can be easily removed with a 30% pool acid/ 70% water wash left for about 5 minutes.

I don't have a recent picture but here is a photo of the pool area before filling when we were planting our garden.

I have sandwash around my pool but it gets very dirty. I occasionally use a electric power washer to clean it up but it stll wont remove persistant stains. What is 30% pool acid please?

Any other cleaning solutions [pun intended], anyone can suggest?

The acid they are talking about is hydrochloric acid. You can buy it it from a pool shop or get it for a quarter of the price anywhere else. I clean sandwash with a high pressure cleaner (like a Kärcher). You can buy them cheap for about 2,500 baht now. No chemicals, just water.

• 4 weeks later...

6 weeks and they still have'nt finished...and what they have done is a botched job.

They have tried to lay it when its been wet and I reckon water has got into it, The terrace is multi-coloured at the moment, pink, orange and beige !!!

I have voiced my deep disatisfaction with the contractor , who does not really seem to pay any attention to anything I say, but he says he will fix it...Don't quite know how he is gonna do that without ripping it up and starting again. I have only paid him half his money as he did do a good job making the wall higher and putting in new electrics.

Watch this space

• 2 weeks later...

Well the job was so badly done in the end that my Wife told them they would have to do it over again.

They have not returned and I have not paid them.

To someone who casually visits it probably does not look so bad, but there are large areas where the colours do not match, I suppose I can put pots and things on top of this for now.

So we will have to make do until high season when we can find a reputable firm to re-do it. (The people who sold us the sandwash said they could do it..but I had already given the other guy the go-ahead) !!

Trouble is we have not been able to put any laquer on the pool surround as the rain has been relentless in the last week and the pool is being cleaned and re-filled on Wednesday. Just have to leave it until we do it again I suppose.

Just another thought, my pool deck was finished with sandwash, but after 5 years had developed several cracks and I thought the look itself seemed out dated. I recently replaced the entire pool deck (about 375 sq meters) with distressed marble tiles 10cm x 10cm, the coping using larger pieces.

The work is just about finished and am very pleased with the new look.

Champee

I need to do some sandwashing around the pool as well, where did you buy your sandwash from?

Take the Lamphun Road outta town , turn off towrds Sampkenphang which is the next exit after the one for the airport.

Under the underpass and then U-turn back on yourself and the place is on the right , directly after the U-turn. It has loads of bricks, slabs etc outside.

If you need a number PM me...they do deliver

• 4 weeks later...

Sandwash cracks, turns dark and after certain time even washing want help. It also polutes water in the pool especialy during monsoon storms.

My advice is to use strong cultured stone as a terrace; it looks natural, it is non-slippery but fairly expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance of getting a price barometer from around the country fromthose of you who have had sandwash done recently?

I had sandwash done for 250 baht per m2 earlier this year near Khon Kaen, labour and sand inclusive. i have been quoted 850 baht per m2 in a suburb of Pattaya (Nong Prue).

I know how much the sand costs, and I 've seen it done many times., but although it needs experience to do it properly, the 250 baht job actually looks better than the 850 baht job.

So what's the real price?

Thanks everyone,

especially Jai Dee for the pics.

we have decided on Sandwash with some mosaic tiles set into it.

The was will be pinl which matches the colur of our house, I brought a big lab of the stuff away with me to see what it looks like and think it maatches well.

I will post a pic when it's finished

I have seen some nasty slips on the Tiles embedded in the sandwash!

cause the sandwash gives the illusion of a saf grip, and dear, oh dear if kids running across it and hit a glazed tile with wet feet....! bad news... because of the surface of the sandwash... make sure the are h=jsut terracotta or NON Slippery tiles!

Just a hint!