Thai Greencard

teacup

New visa rules  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a……..Hypostatical question

Do you think you will favor….

“the new special visa rules” with an easier path toward permanency (thai greencard just like in the US) - so there will be no more yearly visa to worry?

And you shall be able to own a land “in your own name” for the residential use purpose only, in the amount of :

100 talang wah- for single

1 rai - for family (non thai + non thai)

But there is the catch of 4 conditions:

1- you must be willing to share your technical knowledge, skills, and experiences working with a thai company, or local organization, or thai gov‘t…..- 10 hrs/wk for 5 yrs, with the goals of “improving” thailand.

Check w/ various gov’t offices or newspapers - for the positions opening .

No compensation will be given.

2- You must attend the thai language class - at your own expense - for 5 yrs - and must pass the proficiency test which is given yearly by the thai gov‘t.

Equalivent to approx the elementary school level - at the end process

3- You must attend the thai cultures class at your own expense - for 5 yrs - and must pass the general knowledge test which is given yearly.

4- You must sign the affidavit stated that …..you shall not own or operate “a bar or construction of realestate” or link to any “bar or construction of realestate business” or even as an investor,…. in Thailand.

Penalty : lifetime blacklist after 3 strikes

Will you do it?….will you want one?

Sorry for…..Those without “the technical knowledge or skills“, you shall have to follow the existing painful path of regulations.

PS.....I need someone to also add a poll of "just a simple....YES, MAYBE, and NO", cuz I don't know how

Edited by sbk

I agree with 1, 2, 3

But #4 - after looking back at all my track records, I don't think I will be making much from them anyway - so I guess - yes on this one too

So I vote ….YES - and absolutely welcoming the new rules :o

I WANT TO OWN MY OWN HOUSE AND THE LAND WITH IT

Edited by Spyglass

I’m an engineer and wouldn’t mind in transferring the knowledge at my age. However I think 5 yrs is too long, I probably do it for either 3 yrs or 20 hrs per month if it is for 5 yrs.

And also I neither drink nor have the money enough for any construction business.

As for learning the language and culture, they are for my own good anyway - if I plan to be living in thailand on somewhat permanently basis

So it’s a toss between YES and May BE vote, but I’m leaning toward “MAY BE”

teacup, this is a great question and poll for discussion. Well thought out, etc.

I voted a definite no because I understood the question is personal, about ourselves individually. I do not want permanent residence. Also, I do not want to own real estate. Also, I would not waste any more time trying to learn an impossible language that for me would only have very limited use if I could learn it. The only expertise I have, which the Kingdom could possibly use, is teaching English, and Thailand does not really want to seriously learn English. Finally, I doubt that most companies or government offices would make proper use of volunteer farang.

Personally, I would like a five year retirement visa, with my own portable work permit to work where I wish, employed or self-employed. That is not unlike a green card in the USA, and not unlike a retirement visa in some welcoming countries.

teacup, it is a great set of ideas. But, unless you or your husband are multi-billionaires and know all the right people, it is just a dream, like some 17 year old Tai Yai ladyboy in MaeHongSon hoping to get into Chula on a physics scholarship (which is what makes my novel so fictional). :o

But thanks for the idea. Maybe some folks would like it.

teacup, this is a great question and poll for discussion. Well thought out, etc.

Thanks for reading and participating

With the low voter turn out, I guess it’s not too popular so far.

Just a……..Hypostatical question

Do you think you will favor….

“the new special visa rules” with an easier path toward permanency (thai greencard just like in the US) - so there will be no more yearly visa to worry?

And you shall be able to own a land “in your own name” for the residential use purpose only, in the amount of :

100 talang wah- for single

1 rai - for family (non thai + non thai)

But there is the catch of 4 conditions:

1- you must be willing to share your technical knowledge, skills, and experiences working with a thai company, or local organization, or thai gov‘t…..- 10 hrs/wk for 5 yrs, with the goals of “improving” thailand.

Check w/ various gov’t offices or newspapers - for the positions opening .

No compensation will be given.

Many people will not be able to find enough openings in the paper for their expertise in the area they live if at all. As you already mentioned this would also eliminate all the people that do not have an area of expertise needed in Thailand.

2- You must attend the thai language class - at your own expense - for 5 yrs - and must pass the proficiency test which is given yearly by the thai gov‘t.

Equalivent to approx the elementary school level - at the end process

I would agree with being able to pass the test but not the requirement of 5 years. If you can pass the test after 1 year then why be subjected to 4 more years?

3- You must attend the thai cultures class at your own expense - for 5 yrs - and must pass the general knowledge test which is given yearly.

I do not believe it would take 5 years to learn every thing there is to know about Thai Culture.

4- You must sign the affidavit stated that …..you shall not own or operate “a bar or construction of realestate” or link to any “bar or construction of realestate business” or even as an investor,…. in Thailand.

Penalty : lifetime blacklist after 3 strikes

No problem with this one.

Will you do it?….will you want one?

Sorry for…..Those without “the technical knowledge or skills“, you shall have to follow the existing painful path of regulations.

PS.....I need someone to also add a poll of "just a simple....YES, MAYBE, and NO", cuz I don't know how

5 years study would be the equivalent of a Masters degree. All of this is a bit much for a permanent resident card similar to a green card. This would be okay to obtain citizenship though.

It took me 8 months to get my wife a temporary green card for the USA. If she would have stayed in the USA for 2 years she would have received a permanent green card. No language requirements, no culture requirements, etc etc. The only requirement is remaining married to me and length of stay in the USA. Thailand should have the same thing but make it 5 years temporary instead of only 2.

5 years study would be the equivalent of a Masters degree. All of this is a bit much for a permanent resident card similar to a green card. This would be okay to obtain citizenship though.

It took me 8 months to get my wife a temporary green card for the USA. If she would have stayed in the USA for 2 years she would have received a permanent green card. No language requirements, no culture requirements, etc etc. The only requirement is remaining married to me and length of stay in the USA. Thailand should have the same thing but make it 5 years temporary instead of only 2.

Good point for using this for the citizenship.

But “No language requirement”? - somehow I still think that this shouldn’t be good for any country. What about the intergration into the community? As the verbal communication along with culture education should be at least the minimum requirements of a successful integration into the thai society - therefore the new foriegner would be more capable of fulfilling a positive role to thai society.

Don't you think so?

Why would owning or investing in a construction business be in the same category as owning a bar?

Why would your knowledge transfer have to take place only in a Thai company? So if I train 100 hundred Thai people working for Thai branch of an MNC that doesn't count?

Why would you have to take language and culture classes for 5 years? Can you just take the proficiency test? Why is this a requirement in the first place, it is not a requirement for the US green card you are using as an example, that is citizenship stuff. It is very possible to make large contribution to Thai society without speaking Thai.

Thanks for reading and participating

With the low voter turn out, I guess it's not too popular so far.

Why cant Thailand have an immigration policy like Australia. We invite people to emigrate to our country, and become citizens with a full passport after three years. Priority is given to skilled personel, or people who have sufficient money to start a business.

We have many asian people who have come to Australia, and are made welcome by most people. Now the government has decided new immigrants need a basic English test, which only consists of a few words. Enough basically to ask someone where you can find the " dole office".

We regard everyone who comes to Australia, as Australian. We dont continually tell them on a daily basis that they are different, they are Asian. :o

I voted a definite no because I understood the question is personal, about ourselves individually. I do not want permanent residence. Also, I do not want to own real estate. Also, I would not waste any more time trying to learn an impossible language that for me would only have very limited use if I could learn it. The only expertise I have, which the Kingdom could possibly use, is teaching English, and Thailand does not really want to seriously learn English. Finally, I doubt that most companies or government offices would make proper use of volunteer farang.

Personally, I would like a five year retirement visa, with my own portable work permit to work where I wish, employed or self-employed. That is not unlike a green card in the USA, and not unlike a retirement visa in some welcoming countries.

teacup, it is a great set of ideas. But, unless you or your husband are multi-billionaires and know all the right people, it is just a dream, like some 17 year old Tai Yai ladyboy in MaeHongSon hoping to get into Chula on a physics scholarship (which is what makes my novel so fictional). :o

Good answer. I think most of the "powers that be" in Thailand are not particularly interested in foreigners involving themselves in any more areas of enterprise than is necessary. The idea sounds like community service work, that in USA is assigned to minor lawbreakers, to work of their sentance. I came to Thailand to relax, not to have someone dictate to me what I should be doing with my time.

Because….

I have been reading how many members here are not exactly happy with the current visa rules and also the issue of land owning primary for their main residence, for “long term expats“. I just wondering how many are willing to do and do how much to gain the permanency status.

It’s quite interesting that so far the majority is saying “YES”.

I for one would love to hear more comments and their points of view as of why it’s a “YES” vote.