800,000 moved to new bank account

I put 800,000 into the new bank account when I still had 800,000 in the old account. 

Then,  after a couple of weeks, I canceled the old account. 

So, for a while I had 800,000 in each account. 

Both accounts are fixed deposit accounts. 

Anybody has recent experience what documentation  immigration may want to see for visa extension?

Thx

If you cancelled the first FD account the bank would have kept the bank book. 

Suggest you go to bank where FD was cancelled and inquire about obtaining some sort of record (bank statement)

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you cancelled the first FD account the bank would have kept the bank book. 

Suggest you go to bank where FD was cancelled and inquire about obtaining some sort of record (bank statement)

I still have the canceled bank book.

I also have bank statement of that account. 

Obviously,  no bank letter from the old bank.

Hopefully,  that's enough. 

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

I still have the canceled bank book.

I also have bank statement of that account. 

Obviously,  no bank letter from the old bank.

Hopefully,  that's enough. 

Provided you have a bank statement from the old account, which will overlap the start date of the new account, I don't forsee an issue.

You'll only require a letter from your existing bank at the time of extension renewal.

Personally, I'd have just opened a new account and then completed a bank transfer from old to new.

10 hours ago, CRUNCHER said:

Why would the bank keep the old book?  I have got all my old books. (Bangkok Bank)

Because they did and insisted on this.

Kasikorn bank 2 weeks ago. FD account. 

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Because they did and insisted on this.

Kasikorn bank 2 weeks ago. FD account. 

Wow. Good to know for the future. 

Bangkok Bank, SCB and Krungsri Bank all let you keep the canceled bank books.

I just asked K-bank's call center,  they said normally the staff will punch a whole in the old bank book and the customer can keep it (same procedure as the other banks). There is no rule that the bank has to keep the old book. 

Yeah, "normally"... What's normal in Thailand?

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Lorry said:

I put 800,000 into the new bank account when I still had 800,000 in the old account. 

Then,  after a couple of weeks, I canceled the old account. 

So, for a while I had 800,000 in each account. 

Both accounts are fixed deposit accounts. 

Anybody has recent experience what documentation  immigration may want to see for visa extension?

Thx

OP please let us know how you get on.  I am sure that a lot of people will be interested.

I did that once.  The first year I went to immigration, I got 12 month statements for both accounts.   Since you had 800,000 in both accounts for a couple of weeks it shouldn't be a problem.   If you are transferring the 800,000 into a new account, immigration wants you to do it SAME DAY.  Not one day delay.   I still have all my bank books from day 1, but I don't remember if I showed both at immigration.  My gut feeling is that they want to see the current book and with 2 statements from both banks, there shouldn't be a problem.  Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

I did that once.  The first year I went to immigration, I got 12 month statements for both accounts.   Since you had 800,000 in both accounts for a couple of weeks it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks - that's interesting to know (even if no longer applicable to me).

When I did this a few years back (switching from Bangkok Bank to Krungsri bank) , I simply setup a new Krungsri account with the 800k THB in it for over a year, before switching from Bangkok Bank account (where I also maintained the 800k THB for the same year), and that also worked fine for Phuket immigration.  My biggest 'worry' was it would be more difficult (for the new Krungsri Bank account, as opposed to the old Bangkok Bank account) to prove the new 800k in Krungsri came from outside of Thailand.  The money did come from outside of Thailand, but the paper trail would have been complicated and a small annoyance to prove.

Thankfully immigration never asked for that proof.

Edited by oldcpu

4 hours ago, oldcpu said:

.....Krungsri Bank account, as opposed to the old Bangkok Bank account) to prove the new 800k in Krungsri came from outside of Thailand.

Proof funds came from outside of Thailand is only required for application for non O and not for extensions (using money in bank method) 

• Thumbs Up 1