Murder In Bangkok

seagull

I read this in Bangkok Post 'postbag' too. I also found it to be quite an amazing story. We will have to wait until tomorrows paper to see if there is any follow up story.

Follow up story? Are you familiar with journalism in Thailand? All i'm saying is i wouldn't count on it.

Indeed, see Post page 3 today (Sunday) . . .and you think any reporters are gonna follow up a police execution? the police don't get arrested...they become ministers of interior here.

Yes I read that too. I couldn't believe that it only got a small part of page three. This country really is more incredible, and dangerous, than we realise. I guess the simple rule is don't upset any Thais, and don't complain too loudly about anyone with any power at all. This probably links to another post I made today about Thais being very, very reluctant to complain about anything. If this this is what happens when you raise your voice it's probably better to keep quite.

were is it on page 3 ?

I dont see any reference to the story in the online edition. Perhaps the honourable member could type it out for those of us without access.

If there is a media blanket over this it's interesting that someone allowed the letter to be printed in "Postbag".

Re the drug executions and murder kidnapping of the civil rights lawyer, both stories were widely covered by the press nationally and internationally. If these two victims were low lifes I'd be expecting smiley policemen faces in he newspapers. The very fact that this is an unreported "non-event" makes it lustre all the more for us naive, curious folk.

More information please!

I read this in Bangkok Post 'postbag' too. I also found it to be quite an amazing story. We will have to wait until tomorrows paper to see if there is any follow up story.

Follow up story? Are you familiar with journalism in Thailand? All i'm saying is i wouldn't count on it.

Indeed, see Post page 3 today (Sunday) . . .and you think any reporters are gonna follow up a police execution? the police don't get arrested...they become ministers of interior here.

Yes I read that too. I couldn't believe that it only got a small part of page three. This country really is more incredible, and dangerous, than we realise. I guess the simple rule is don't upset any Thais, and don't complain too loudly about anyone with any power at all. This probably links to another post I made today about Thais being very, very reluctant to complain about anything. If this this is what happens when you raise your voice it's probably better to keep quite.

...and if you are thai don't upset other thais or make really, really sure that you know how powerful the thai your going to upset is before you commit, and what influence his/her relatives have with thais more important than you. Simple really.... :o

This incident is obviously one that the Thai authorities wanted to go unnoticed.

The Thai press and the english language media report what they're allowed to.

My guess is that this was something to do with the on-going insurrection in the south.

SUVs with darkened windows and shadowy occupants points to the diplomatic protection service being involved in this particular case.

Doesn't anyone else think it strange - that despite one of the most violent and persistent insurrections (in the south) that Thailand has ever experienced - there has never - ever - been one related incident - or potential incident -in Bangkok?

Of course there have - and my thinking is that this was just such an incident.

This incident is obviously one that the Thai authorities wanted to go unnoticed.

My guess is that this was something to do with the on-going insurrection in the south.

SUVs with darkened windows and shadowy occupants points to the diplomatic protection service being involved in this particular case.

Doesn't anyone else think it strange - that despite one of the most violent and persistent insurrections (in the south) that Thailand has ever experienced - there has never - ever - been one related incident - or potential incident -in Bangkok?

That is pure speculation with little to back it up. Who knows what it was?

Sorry but I haven’t the time to type the whole article out from the Aug.3rd issue of the Bangkok Post. The headline to the article was ‘Matichon reporter shot dead at home’. This guy was reporting on issues that were upsetting local politicians and high ranking government officials. The police are not sure if it was the responsibility of the government official or the politicians as they were two separate groups it seems. Either way it is a very bad situation that only seemed to warrant two small columns on page 3.

Today’s Bangkok Post had two articles in the ‘Post Bag’ section from members of the public about the media silence after the first article a couple of days ago. My wife hadn’t read anything about it in the Thai papers.

With little further evidence or witness reports it is possible that it never happened, or that the actual ‘Post Bag’ article was sent in by some mischievous individual. Who knows?

Sorry but I haven’t the time to type the whole article out from the Aug.3rd issue of the Bangkok Post. The headline to the article was ‘Matichon reporter shot dead at home’. This guy was reporting on issues that were upsetting local politicians and high ranking government officials. The police are not sure if it was the responsibility of the government official or the politicians as they were two separate groups it seems. Either way it is a very bad situation that only seemed to warrant two small columns on page 3.

Today’s Bangkok Post had two articles in the ‘Post Bag’ section from members of the public about the media silence after the first article a couple of days ago. My wife hadn’t read anything about it in the Thai papers.

With little further evidence or witness reports it is possible that it never happened, or that the actual ‘Post Bag’ article was sent in by some mischievous individual. Who knows?

Yeah, Matichon reporter shot and killed. It seems might be politically connected.

A reporter for Matichon newspaper was shot dead while cooking at his home on Friday in what the Thai Journalists Association (TJA) is calling a blatant attempt to silence the media. Athiwat Chainurat, 48, was alone when a gunman shot him in the head, back and stomach. The attack took place about 9pm. Police collected four spent casings from the scene.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/030808_News/03Aug2008_news09.php

I'm confused here.... There seem to be two different episodes mentioned above...

The one, just before this post, refers to a Thai newspaper reporter ( single victim) being shot to death at his home...

The original episode cited in the post talks about two bodies being found shot on a very public street in BKK and then quickly whisked away...

I'm confused here.... There seem to be two different episodes mentioned above...

The one, just before this post, refers to a Thai newspaper reporter ( single victim) being shot to death at his home...

The original episode cited in the post talks about two bodies being found shot on a very public street in BKK and then quickly whisked away...

Don't be confused, just realise that on TV 'tangent' best describes how some people rationalize getting off topic for their own sake. :o

Don't be confused, just realise that on TV 'tangent' best describes how some people rationalize getting off topic for their own sake. :o

The original topic was about a letter sent to the 'Post Bag' page of the Bangkok Post. This was about from a guy that had seen two people being murdered in Bangkok and the absence of any media coverage of it.

Someone then mentioned the danger of reporting on the wrong subject in Thailand. This was highlighted by an article in the Bangkok Post on the same day, about a reporter being murdered for just this reason, by politicians or government officials (supposedly). I then relayed the basics of that article and someone else posted a link.

It wasn't that difficult to follow, there were only a dozen posts or so.

The link between the two stories was that the first story was not reported on and the second story was of a guy that did report on something and was killed for it (maybe).

Why would a possible police involvement in a killing change anyone's view of living in Thailand. Just a few short years ago, there were over 2500 extra-judicial police killings of "drug dealers" and that didn't' seem to faze anyone (Thai or farang)?

I suggest you go view a murder and see if it doesn't "shake you up" about life in general. Get some sense while you're at it.

I agree, Ive not seen a murder but I think I would be ill if I did, hope it never happen to me or you too mate :o

The original topic was about a letter sent to the 'Post Bag' page of the Bangkok Post. This was about from a guy that had seen two people being murdered in Bangkok and the absence of any media coverage of it.

Someone then mentioned the danger of reporting on the wrong subject in Thailand. This was highlighted by an article in the Bangkok Post on the same day, about a reporter being murdered for just this reason, by politicians or government officials (supposedly). I then relayed the basics of that article and someone else posted a link.

It wasn't that difficult to follow, there were only a dozen posts or so.

The link between the two stories was that the first story was not reported on and the second story was of a guy that did report on something and was killed for it (maybe).

Completely seperate events.

The reporter was shot for his reporting done about a certain influential person.

The post bag letter which is what this topic is about came from somebody who witnessed TWO people being shot on the street, bodies whisked away, and scene cleaned up all in broad daylight.

1. Thailand supressing the news by murdering reporters

2. Thailand allowing "extra judicial hits"

Feel safer now?

Generally however, no official police statement means no coverage of a crime in the Thai press.

Very disturbing :o We're no safer than living in Iraq :D

you are joking, right?

this from the fellow who reported the abduction on cowboy

Further letters to BKK Post in response to original letter:

4th August:

Troubled by journalists / I read Troubled's letter (''Murder in Bangkok'', Postbag, Aug 1) and wonder why there was no coverage by the press of this incident in which presumably the police were involved. I wonder why Thai journalists do nothing other than copy what is delivered by news agents.

Are they scared? Do they fear losing their jobs or even their lives? If that is the case than Thailand is very far from being a democratic country.

It should be the pride and duty of every journalist to investigate tenaciously if there is any doubt about fair justice, human treatment and corruption by state officials. The press should be the wasp in the pants of the authorities, whoever they are.

Otherwise Amazing Thailand will be run by cowboys dressed in brown, who think that they are immune from any control and criticism. So, Bangkok Post, do your job.

BANGKOK REBEL

-----

Duty to report all news

On Aug 1, you published a letter reporting the shocking shooting deaths of two persons in broad daylight at a gateway to Chulalongkorn University.

The writer, Troubled, witnessed the event and wrote that immediately after the shooting two cars arrived, four men appeared ''as if on cue'', threw the bodies into the two cars, and the cars sped away. Motorcycle police arrived, one of whom tried to mop up the blood. All this within about two minutes.

I am more than troubled. I am shocked, outraged and appalled.

Why did the Bangkok Post not report this tragic event? Those of us who are loyal long-time subscribers and who rely on the Post for important news deserve an explanation

ROBERT JACOBS

--------

5th August:

No 'ugly' news in English

I read with great interest the complaints about how the shooting incident near Chulalongkorn University was coldly ignored by Thai journalists.

I've worked as an English sub-editor in both the national English broadsheets of Thailand for quite a long time and I couldn't agree more with Bangkok Rebel and Robert Jacobs.

I've also worked in news offices in other parts of Asia and Africa, but Thailand is the only country where ugly news, most particularly those that would scare off tourists and expats, would be hidden from the right pages. Corruption and politics, sure, that's the ugliest they could print but other than these, no sir, the editors would not allow it.

There is also no sense of "scoop" among Thai reporters here. In other countries, reporters continually hone their skills in getting exclusive coverage.

In my past work in Bangkok, I learned that reporters from one newspaper outlet have an "unwritten agreement" with reporters from another newspaper; the deal is: one of them should get the story one time while the other will take it easy and then they will share the story. Then the next time, the other one will take a rest while the other works.

In other countries, I subscribe to two or three newspapers because I know there are some stories I won't be able to find in the other newspapers. In Thailand, just go to the news agencies online and you get exactly the same stories.

Too bad, journalism in Thailand is made up mostly of "praise releases" or PR items.

ANNOYED READER

BUT STILL NO JOURNALISM OR MEDIA REPORTING!!

this from the fellow who reported the abduction on cowboy

Not sure where you're coming from with this statement t.s. Please enlarge.

It might be a minor point but "Troubled", the original writer of the letter to the Editor (Bangkok PostBag), did not actually witness the shooting. He states that he heard gunshots then observed subsequent events from a considerable distance. I doubt he'd be used as a witness in court. What's most interesting is that no other foreign witnesses have chimed in including those in the presence of Troubled.

As it seems no one around has a Thai gf nor any thai friend, I asked my Thai gf to have a look on most popular Thai forums about this story. She didn't find anything.

I'm afraid the author of this postbag message is mythomaniac, or maybe he just made up this for the "fun".

But it's sure it wasn't a movie set. When people are killed in a movie, after the end of the scene, they get up, they aren't sent away in truck, nor it's a police officer who cleans the fake blood, it usually is a trainee... :o

I've worked as an English sub-editor in both the national English broadsheets of Thailand for quite a long time and I couldn't agree more with Bangkok Rebel and Robert Jacobs.

I've also worked in news offices in other parts of Asia and Africa, but Thailand is the only country where ugly news, most particularly those that would scare off tourists and expats, would be hidden from the right pages. Corruption and politics, sure, that's the ugliest they could print but other than these, no sir, the editors would not allow it.

This is <deleted>. The English-language papers have no desire to be tabloids by printing sensationalist news on the front page, unike a number of the Thai-language publications. The other issue, unfortunately, is that no decent paper will simply run news without verifying the source, and neither the Post nor the Nation have enough manpower to be everywhere at the same time.

There is also no sense of "scoop" among Thai reporters here. In other countries, reporters continually hone their skills in getting exclusive coverage.

Also <deleted>. Thai Rath, Daily News, Khao Sod fight like hel_l to get exclusives. The English-language papers simply don't have the manpower or the need to be the "only" - yet both of them printed "exclusives" with Dubya recently.

In my past work in Bangkok, I learned that reporters from one newspaper outlet have an "unwritten agreement" with reporters from another newspaper; the deal is: one of them should get the story one time while the other will take it easy and then they will share the story. Then the next time, the other one will take a rest while the other works.

LOL. See "manpower" above.

Annoyed Reader obviously isn't as experienced as he/she claims. As a sub-editor at either the Post or the Nation, he/she would know fully well why they can't always get the same stories or cover every possibility. There are plenty of murders which go unreported throughout the country - just because it happens in Bangkok doesn't mean it automatically gets published.

That being said, neither the Post nor the Nation should be held up to any decent Western media publication - there is simply no comparison.

Generally however, no official police statement means no coverage of a crime in the Thai press.

Very disturbing :D We're no safer than living in Iraq :(

we are until america decides to bring democracy here! :D ...then its time to run!

:o:D:D