Replacing Aluminum Windows

NotNew2You

I have the typical single-pane cheapo Thai aluminum sliding windows in my house. For a couple of them, I would like to replace them with a single plate glass window. The window would be like a plate glass window rather than a standard window and would not open. Is this easy to do...just have a glazer stick in such a piece of glass in place of the existing 2 sliding windows using the existing window frame?

Basically, I want to do this to order a thicker glass for sound insulation.

It's a different frame, usually mounted on a box section. Maybe they can use part of the old frame but the frames are so cheap anyway it's best to get the whole lot pulled out and replaced.

You will like the effect of one large window and the added security aspect. You can see the frame arrangement on my house build site if you've a mind to http://www.flickr.com/photos/banjopicker/page2/

Nice house and pics...didn't really find any plate-glass windows specifically...but lots of cute cat pics :D

Pleased you like the cats :o

Page 2 second row from the bottom middle, you can see the design of the frame. Also the row before last picture upstairs window the frame is fixed on that window as well.