Learn To Fly In Thailand

fanciman

Is this one of the maddest ideas or is there some sense to it?

Does getting a private pilot's licence in the Land of Smiles have any logic to it? What about a Commercial Pilots Licence (not a Airline Transport one)?

If you got a commercial licence, would there be much work available, or is the world full up with people with these licences all scrambling for the same morsels of work?

Any good places to study?

From what I have seen the charges for aircraft hire are about the same as in Aus and I think the opportunities for paid commercial charter flying would be very limited,maybe I am wrong.I have flown privately and commercial charter for over 20 years and it was very thin pickings at times.I can't see the situation being any different here,especially with the current down turn in hub routes due AVTUR fuel prices now.

Some references for thai light aircraft and training.

www.thai-aviation.net and www.cmflyingclub.com

Is this one of the maddest ideas or is there some sense to it?

Does getting a private pilot's licence in the Land of Smiles have any logic to it? What about a Commercial Pilots Licence (not a Airline Transport one)?

If you got a commercial licence, would there be much work available, or is the world full up with people with these licences all scrambling for the same morsels of work?

Any good places to study?

Getting a private pilot's license makes sense only if you love flying and have lots of money to burn because flying airplanes is extremely expensive as a hobby . Once you get your license, in order to fly safely, you have to stay current by flying on a regular basis to keep your skill level up which of course is costly. There are a couple of flying clubs that you could check with in Thailand for more info on flying in LOS. If you have a compelling need to get into the air for less of a cost, you might check into flying ultralights or hang gliding and parasailing.

At the present time, almost all airlines are cutting back on their flight schedules and many are laying off pilots due to the high price of jet fuel and the recessionary atmosphere in some parts of the world. There are many highly qualified pilots with many thousands of hours of flying time currently out there looking for a pilot job anywhere in the world so it is extremely difficult to find for pilots to find work with any of the airlines at present. Corporate and other commercial flying is also now very difficult to get into unless you have connections with some corporation the is looking for a pilot.

Sorry to rain on your parade but that is how I see the industry at present. Good luck :o

I'm certified FAA instructor and pilot here in the United States. I've also taken some lessons at the flying club near Pattaya.

If you are interested in learning how to fly as a hobby, then Thailand would be an OK place to learn. However, the license won't automatically transfer to your home country and you've got to be extremely careful about your instructors' credentials and the airworthiness of any planes.

If you are interested in learning to fly professionally, then the United States is probably the best and cheapest place to learn. People from all over the world come here to learn how to fly. hel_l, I've had Japanese and European students come over on summer vacation and get their private and commercial licenses in an all-out 2 month flying binge.

Commercial pilot instruction - don't do it in Thailand... just don't. Go to the US.

All of that aside, just learning how to fly is a big commitment. I estimate less than half the people who start end up completing the private pilot cert. Expect to pay $10K+ for private pilot instruction in the USA. Probably $15K+ in Thailand, but there's probably other people on this board who can give more accurate numbers on Thailand costs.

If you decide to go through with it ... let us know when you first solo the plane :o Nothing and I mean nothing beats that first landing without an instructor.

Almost all flight schools offer a 'demo ride' - something that some people call 'the crack pipe ride'. It's usually an hour - hour and a half ride with an instructor to familiarize yourself with the school. Might be worth checking out if you're close to an airport with a flight school.

Edited by not5150

I would have thought learning to land in Thailand is more relevant.

LOL, and taking off, which is different from driving a tuk tuk and involves lots of finkin. After that' it's a sinch to stay up. Then that's where your idea comes in.

The obvious place to study in Thailand in is Pattaya. (www.thaiflyingclub.com) There rates are about 50% more than what you will pay in the US, but not really terrible by world standards.

If you are wealthy, you can even buy a plot of land here on an airpark and have your own private hangar. One of the perks here is that it will come with rights to fly your private plane to Luang Prabang in Laos. BTW, airplanes and aircraft parts have no import duties in Thailand. Wouldn't want the rich Thais to be inconvenienced now, would we?

I have a commercial license. No headhunters calling me saying "Please. We're desperate for 1200 hour pilots." Take that for what it's worth.

If you want to fly and you have money, then by all means learn. But figure it for what it is. An expensive hobby that will easily set you back 1 million baht per year. There are no well paying jobs for commercial pilots that don't involve dying.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Edited by gregb

I suggest you take ground school in Thailand and get your PPL issued here. No problem and cheap. You can always get a new one in the USA for a few hundred bucks if they don't accept your Thai papers.

The commercial pilot part is the problem. Thailand doesn't have a good program yet. Yes, they do have programs for pilots, but most commercial pilots trained and are certified abroad. These would be the ones making a career out of flying.

Depending on your age , money and available time, I would suggest the basics here then research Australia, New Zealand or Singapore for the commercial ratings.

I have gone over this with my eldest son at least 20 times and we always come to the conclusion Australia. Once you investigate you will see the reasons why.

Two sides of a coin. Your call.

Happy flying!

Ilyushin

Edited by ilyushin

All of that aside, just learning how to fly is a big commitment. I estimate less than half the people who start end up completing the private pilot cert. Expect to pay $10K+ for private pilot instruction in the USA. Probably $15K+ in Thailand, but there's probably other people on this board who can give more accurate numbers on Thailand costs.

If you decide to go through with it ... let us know when you first solo the plane :oNothing and I mean nothing beats that first landing without an instructor.

Almost all flight schools offer a 'demo ride' - something that some people call 'the crack pipe ride'. It's usually an hour - hour and a half ride with an instructor to familiarize yourself with the school. Might be worth checking out if you're close to an airport with a flight school.

I had to respond to your comment because I agree with you 100 % ! I did my solo at Rogers Aviation in Cranfield

Airfield in Bedfordshire in the UK quite a few years ago now. But I also did the full-time course together with

three other people one of which was the infamous Michael Crawford. It was a beautiful summer's evening

in England when the instructor said it was time for me to do a circuit on my own and Michael just happened to be

in the control tower chatting with his instructoe when I landed on my own for the first time ! he was one of the first

people to congratulate me afterwards. It was probably one of my most poignant

and exhilarating memories........... I also enjoyed the three leg solo navigation exercise as part of the final test.

It was such a boost to one's confidence to see the runway of each airport at the end of every leg knowing you had

successfully navigated your way there alone...........................

anyone with the remotest interest flying should definitely learn but I would also say ( apart from

the not so reliable weather ! ) England is also good place to learn to fly.

If you decide to go through with it ... let us know when you first solo the plane :DNothing and I mean nothing beats that first landing without an instructor.

Very true, it's embedded in my memory like a photograph. At least in the US the following tradition after first solo is observed, not sure in other countries. The below image is mine (name removed). :o

"Quoted from Wikipedia.com "In Aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student. In the days of tandem trainers, the instructor would tug at the student's shirt tail whenever he was getting himself into trouble. After the first solo, the new pilot is competent in the air and does not need such as safety device."

post-566-1217650384_thumb.jpg

Flying a light aircraft in Thailand is, for the most part of the year, like flying in a gold fish bowl.

Visibility is almost always less than 3 ~ 5 miles.

On the upside there are a large number of private runways dotted around Thailand for those might want to do flying trips rather than up and down to the same airfield.

If you decide to go through with it ... let us know when you first solo the plane :DNothing and I mean nothing beats that first landing without an instructor.

Very true, it's embedded in my memory like a photograph. At least in the US the following tradition after first solo is observed, not sure in other countries. The below image is mine (name removed). :D

"Quoted from Wikipedia.com "In Aviation lore, the traditional removal of a new pilot's shirt tail is a sign of the instructor's new confidence in his student. In the days of tandem trainers, the instructor would tug at the student's shirt tail whenever he was getting himself into trouble. After the first solo, the new pilot is competent in the air and does not need such as safety device."

post-566-1217650384_thumb.jpg

Tywais--You are just trying to make me feel bad . I just checked my old memory and I unfortunately realized that I could not find a photograph or anything in my memory of my first flight solo. :o It was interesting however that I can still vividly remember my first flight instructor who was one of gruffest SOB's I had ever met. He walked with a limp due to an injury from bailing out of a Corsair in WW2 and was one of the toughest and crustiest instructors I have ever had but also one of the best. It was 51 years ago that I first soloed, so rather than attribute the loss of that precious memory to old age, I would rather like to think that it accidentally slipped out of my memory at some time when I was flying and pulling too many inverted G's or getting scared shitless while having a near death experience. :D

To the OP: If you eventually decide to get into flying, I can assure you that it will give you may wonderful memories like some of the posters have mentioned. Probably one of the best things about being a pilot is that when your time comes, they do not say that you have died or passed away but instead say that you have 'flown west' which I think sounds so much better ! :D

getting scared shitless while having a near death experience. :o

Had that on only my 2nd solo flight. Learned something the instructor didn't teach me yet, "a progressive stall". My legs wobbled for quite a while after experiencing that. :D 2nd most memorable moment is taken your first passenger up after getting the PPL.

To the OP, there is a flight college somewhere in Issan (I believe) and one of the TV members has announced it in a topic a few times. Perhaps another member can remember the school name and location.

Guest Reimar

The cost to get an PPL in Thailand is about THB 280,000

There various Flying Schools available. Thai Flying Club at Chonburi Bang Prah is one of them.

The DOA has very nice and helpfull people there and you can get all infos from there include recommondations.

The required Medical Certificate can be make in some Hospitals but one of the best is the Rama 9 Hospital in Bangkok. You need a Class 2 Certificate in Thailand for PPL and Class 1 for CPL.

The ground Trainig could be done by TGAT (Thai Genaral Aviation Technology) at Phahonyothin Road (on the Air Force side of the Don Muang Airport) and cost about THB 50,000 incl. requirde Materials (books pp.).

You can also do the whole test at Hua Hin Civil Aviation Training Center where you can get an VFR Night Rating.

Since end of 2007 you cfan even lear to fly Glider (Sailplane) in Thailand. The Nok Aviation Flying Clup 12 sm SE of Chiang Mai has an Blanik L13 for Glider training. Maybe you take a look at their Website HERE and you can even get an PPL via that Club. It's nothing in flying which can beats the silent flying in an Glider (Sailplane)

I've several thousand hour (while flying for 38 years 15-53) in Glider and was owning until 2000 an LS3-17 which I sold after an Motorbike accident which prevents me from to renew my Medical. I had also carry an PPL for GA Aircrafts with several ratings. done my first (3) solo in an Glider (Rhoenlerche) at an age of 15, was get my PPL-C (Glider/Sailplane) at my 17. Birthday, PPL-B (Motorglider) at my 18. Birthday and with 20 my PPL-A (GA). Since 2000 I still flying but with Friend as Safty Pilot on right seat because of lack of Medical. Flown since than Cesna 208, Maule MX7, KingAir 350 on right seat and some hours on Bell 206 J3

All that is something which I missing a lot but fortunate I still able to fly just a bit restricted.

Flying is a very nice hobby but dangerous as well, never close the eyes before that! If someone like to fly and has the money to finance that, do it and a dream will come true.

In my old Clubhouse, in the Hangar, were a picture on one wall, painted from a wife of one of our pilots with an speech below in german: "Tausche fluggeilen Eheman gegen ein zahmes Kaninchen" which means in English: "Exchange an flycrazy husbange with an tame Rabbit"

Cheers.

Had that on only my 2nd solo flight. Learned something the instructor didn't teach me yet, "a progressive stall". My legs wobbled for quite a while after experiencing that. :D
Flying is a very nice hobby but dangerous as well, never close the eyes before that! If someone like to fly and has the money to finance that, do it and a dream will come true.

Flying is a wonderful hobby and definitely a gift that keeps on giving in terms of memories. The fun part is that we are always learning regardless of how many years or hours we have in aircraft and the fact that the scary experiences just keep on coming. For recreational flying I fly acrobatic aircraft which usually are conventional gear (taildraggers). As most of you know, they have a saying in aviation that says "There are only two types of pilots that fly taildraggers. Those that have groundlooped one and those that are going to eventually groundloop one." I have always been fortunate to have always been in that group that 'was going to eventually groundloop one'. Even with over 50 years experience, I almost joined that other group about a month ago when I was landing is extremely gusty conditions and I must have relaxed for a moment when a gust of wind caught me and I found myself sliding down the runway with my nose pointed about 35 degrees to the direction I was going. How I was able to pull it out and not groundloop, I will never know but I sure was lucky as it was just another one of those scared shitless moments that pilots get from time to time. Even though it was a scary moment, I think of it as just another one of those memorable experiences that many of us pilots that love flying would not trade for anything in the world including sleeping with the prettiest girl in Thailand---errrrrrr on second thought I think I would trade ! :D

To the OP: You too will be able to join in the hangar talk once you start flying . :o

at some time when I was flying and pulling too many inverted G's

Hey jj I'm sure you meant to say pushing. Do you live/fly here in LOS? I saw your post re aerobatics and would like to get back into it myself having flown a variety of aerobatic machines (was even on the US glider aerobatic team for a brief time long long ago).

at some time when I was flying and pulling too many inverted G's

Hey jj I'm sure you meant to say pushing. Do you live/fly here in LOS? I saw your post re aerobatics and would like to get back into it myself having flown a variety of aerobatic machines (was even on the US glider aerobatic team for a brief time long long ago).

Hi Cloudhopper, I actually meant to say negative not inverted (and yes I would normally be pushing at the time) but I have a really bad habit of not always proof reading what I write. :D I do not live in LOS but usually spend about 3 months a year there. The only flying I have ever done in LOS has been flying a 747 in and out of the old Don Muang airport. Some of my flying buddies that occasionally come to Thailand with me have often talked about doing some recreational flying in LOS but when we delved into it, it appeared to be a bigger hassle than it is worth just to spend a few hours in the air. We did go to a small airshow in Pattaya about 2 years ago and talked to some of the general aviation types and members of a flying club.

I have ATP multi-engine land and sea and ATP single engine land and sea ratings but never did get a glider rating although it appears that it would be a lot of fun.. I did start taking glider lessons many years ago from a TWA captain at an airport in Fremont California. Unfortunately shortly after my first lesson, he was involved in a mid-air collision while being towed and was killed. I never got around to finding another instructor so did not pursue it any farther. I still am a youngster of only 67 and probably have plenty of years left, so when I have some free time, I may decide to spend a little time to get my glider rating as I am sure that I would enjoy it especially considering the price of avgas now.

Have you been able to do any gliding at all since you have been in Thailand ? I do not pay much attention to the gliding scene so not sure what is available in and around Thailand. Sounds like you really know what you are doing in gliders since you were on aerobatic team. If you are like me, I am sure you must miss the aerobatic flying because once it gets into your blood, most of the other types of flying is never as exciting. Keep the shiny side up ! :o

Technical Question: What language is used for domestic flights? (For inter aircraft and tower communication). I appreciate that international flights use English, but I know that in some places the pilots use the local language. i.e. does a license holder have to be proficient in Thai?

Just curious, Gracias.

Hanger talk is awesome ... go to an air field and there's bound to be people working on their planes or milling about. Military folks are a hoot because they'll give you all these stories about flying into flak and seeing SAM missiles flying by the windshield.

A previous poster talked about visibility and he has a valid point. It pretty much sucks in Thailand with all the moisture in the skies, you also have high chances of storms in the area (especially monsoon season). I guess I'm spoiled flying in Southern California because we often have unlimited visibility with crystal blue skies.

I really want to take up gliding... sounds like a lot of fun.

I have a Zenair CH701 based on a grass strip near Cha-am. Flying in Thailand is a blast, especially low and slow with the doors off! I'd recommend getting your license elsewhere (US or Australia) and getting a rotax-powered LSA.

Technical Question: What language is used for domestic flights? (For inter aircraft and tower communication). I appreciate that international flights use English, but I know that in some places the pilots use the local language. i.e. does a license holder have to be proficient in Thai?

Just curious, Gracias.

It's english - colloquial Thai is often used at airstrips and small rural airports, but officialy its english and you will find all ATC's in Thailand are able to communicate in english - even in the remote areas.

I learn't to fly here and untill my daughter went to boarding school in the USA I would fly her down from Loei to Klang Dong airstrip every Sunday afternoon (she was a weekly boarder at the International School/Khao Yai), and pick her up each Friday afternoon.

For anyone thinking about it learning to fly here - go for it: the standards are good, the costs comptetive and flying conditions (weather and amount of traffic) help ensure every lesson is a lesson you turn up for is a lesson that goes into your log book as an hour towards your licence. The exam is in English - and instructors are fluent english speakers. In the rainy season plan all your practical lessons for the morning (the earlier the better to avoid the thermals and afternoon rain - other you'll find a lot of your lessons will be cancelled) - in the dry season cancellations are seldom an issue but mornings are always a lot more comfortable.

PPL's (private pilot license) obtained in Thailand are legal and usable in the USA, Europe and Australia - and just as with PPL's obtained in the USA and used in Europe (or vis a versus), or a PPL obtained in Australia and used in the UK, renters often request you to undertake a "test flight" with one of their instructor's before loaning you a plane (its common practise irrspective of where you get your PPL from).

great little thread. I was qualifed to fly before I could drive legally (16 flying vs 18 for driving in OZ). Was funny to have my parents drive me morrabbin airport in melbourne so I could jump in a cecsna 150 and spend an hour in the training area all by myself...with me landing a plane and then them driving me back home.

All very memorable, but others have said, expensive. And as in my case, if you haven't got the dosh then it all falls by the wayside

• 1 year later...

any updates regarding cost of an ultralight and/or PPL license in thailand?

i just checked the website of the thai flying club ...

they talk about their trainings and their flight school, but i can't find any prices ...

i have absolutely no idea how much it is in thailand ... who can help?

Since end of 2007 you cfan even lear to fly Glider (Sailplane) in Thailand. The Nok Aviation Flying Clup 12 sm SE of Chiang Mai has an Blanik L13 for Glider training. Maybe you take a look at their Website HERE and you can even get an PPL via that Club. It's nothing in flying which can beats the silent flying in an Glider (Sailplane)

Does anyone know if the Gliding Club in Chiang Mai linked to above is the only Club in Thailand? A quick Google search didn't bring any up, but I thought I'd check on the bottomless well of knowledge here on TV.

I was flying gliders in Dunstable and Rufforth in the UK for a couple of years. I had to give it up when I moved back to Spain. I'm now in Thailand and would take it up again, but Chang Mai is a bit far.

About 1/3rd of that - no shortage of micro/ultralight flying oppurtunities.

As for doing a Senior Comm .... nice but then what? Lot of time and money spent but the work oppurtunites (at least for ex-pats in Asia) are nill unless you happen to stumble across a missionary service, parachuting school or similar that doesn't need to satisfy the otherwise strict insuranace requirments. There are guys around with frozen ATPL's who can't do anything much more than teach PPL's

Senior Com? - worth it if you're working towards ATPL and/or a full time flying career and are prepeared to do the dogs work while you build hours up, but just for the hel_l of it, nope.