What Would You Do? - Us Electronics In Thailand?

celloman

I will be moving to Thailand in two short weeks :o I have sold most of my electronic belongings, but I have a Yamaha mini-system that I adore. Elegant looks, piano-finish speakers, small size, sounds great and no dancing lights. I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and sell it or pack it up with the other stuff I am shipping. It does not do 220v, so I am wondering if a voltage transformer would work (and be cost effective). Or would I be able to get a different power supply installed?

Here is what the power supply says: 120volts 70watts 60hz

this may sound silly, but it is quite a high-quality unit, and it will be very costly to purchase something similar in Thailand. curious to get your thoughts

-Colin

Guest Reimar
I will be moving to Thailand in two short weeks :o I have sold most of my electronic belongings, but I have a Yamaha mini-system that I adore. Elegant looks, piano-finish speakers, small size, sounds great and no dancing lights. I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and sell it or pack it up with the other stuff I am shipping. It does not do 220v, so I am wondering if a voltage transformer would work (and be cost effective). Or would I be able to get a different power supply installed?

this may sound silly, but it is quite a high-quality unit, and it will be very costly to purchase something similar in Thailand. curious to get your thoughts

-Colin

Don't know is worth the hassle?!

But to run them here in Thailand, you'll need an Power Inverter which will cost for an 250-300 Watts converter (stabilized) around THB 3,000.

Cheers.

I will be moving to Thailand in two short weeks :D I have sold most of my electronic belongings, but I have a Yamaha mini-system that I adore. Elegant looks, piano-finish speakers, small size, sounds great and no dancing lights. I am wondering whether I should bite the bullet and sell it or pack it up with the other stuff I am shipping. It does not do 220v, so I am wondering if a voltage transformer would work (and be cost effective). Or would I be able to get a different power supply installed?

-Colin

If you adore it, bring it with you ! Yamaha amplifiers are for sale here, but I haven't seen the mini systems yet (never searched for them anyway). There are several other brands for sale here (think about 15 K for a middle class system, LG or similar) You will need a transformer of course :o

I see. Thanks for the info.

I am also considering other options - can anyone recommend some really great-sounding computer/multimedia speakers? I really only use the stereo to listen to music in iTunes.

alternatively, does anyone have any experience with nOrh speakers? Their budget line seems intriguing, and I love the idea of locally-crafted materials, etc. I assume you would also need an amplifier to go with the speakers. I wouldn't call myself an audiphile, but I am pretty fussy about sound quality, and I have music playing almost constantly while I am at home.

thanks again

Assuming you don't have to pay import duties on your shipment and it won't increase the shipping fees appreciably, why not throw it in? I threw in our very old US model Yamaha 5.1 surround receiver and lots of speakers when we moved four years ago. It has served well enough as a home theater that I never bothered purchasing anything locally.

It will cost you less than 1000 THB to purchase a step-down transformer. I think we paid around 800 THB for a 400 W model, but several years ago.

On the negative side, our transformer makes a noticeable hum when switched on (actual vibration, not electrical noise). However, it turns out that I don't notice it nor the media PC fans once the air-conditioner noises swamp them out. :o My biggest acoustic complaint is that the Thai building materials lead to lots of echo and reverberation which kills sound quality. However, with the climate I do not want to fill the room with sound damping furniture or rugs since they would also absorb moisture and stink over time. I just accept that I cannot have a really high fidelity listening experience.

Well, I bought 2 such transformers at www.pollin.de in Germany paying about 15 and 30 euros depending on the power rating and the number of outlets. 220 V in, 110 V out. but they are h e a v y and I would not take this system over. (A pc got destroyed in the luggage, the CPU's heat sink was torn off, so expect abuse of the luggage).

I bought/brought a couple of power converter units (110/220) when I moved here... Carried them in my airplane checked luggage...so no extra customs fees... The low watts ones, 100-250, are pretty small and light and fine for single items or typical AV equipment. Among otherws, I use one for a portable stereo unit from the U.S. that has radio/CD and tape desk... I also brought some higher watts ones... 1000 and 2000....for computer stuff... Those are a bit heavier and larger... It was nice to be able to keep most of my original electronics gear...and not have to worry about disposing of my U.S. stuff and then buying new stuff here... But... I didn't have to pay any extra customs fees for doing this... So that was an advantage.

Now... after living here...I can know the same kind of 110/220 converters are available for purchase here in BKK. But not at any cheaper prices than I found in the U.S. I ordered mine online in the U.S. from some shops that specialize only in those products... They have a very large selection, with all the different watts sizes and different feature sets... I haven't seen quite as broad a selection available here... or any any lower prices.

What is available here and very cheap are simple step-down transformers. I.e. 220V 50 Hz in and 110V 50 Hz out, just from some coiled wire and a hunk of ferrite core (and a fuse, if you get a reasonable unit) :o . We went to the Ban Moh shopping area near Chinatown in Bangkok. Most of the modern US electronics will tolerate the 50 Hz input just fine.