Loi Khro Bridge

gpdjohn

I have heard that one was built by the Japanese during or after the war ( the one in the 40's )

I was assuming ( yeah, I know ) by the looks of it, this could have been the one.

15yrs old eh...musta been built during the war of the bar girls... :o

According the Chiang Mai Mail, the bridge was constructed during WW II: http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/156/features.shtml

If I remember well, Citylife, formerly Chiang Mai newsletter, has written an article about that bridge. You could ask Sao Jiang Mai about it.

Nienke

Thanks. :o

This one is in Pai it appears. I read, cannot remember where, that one old bridge spans the moat. Some sort of hx behind it..just curious.

Maybe my brain is just sparkin' out somewhat...

post-46099-1217867897_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know the history behind Loi Khro iron bridge?

Who built it, when, etc.

Tried looking for some history on it.

You mean the one that's currently standing? It's about fifteen years old.

The great thing was that when it was finished it was about a metre above the Chiang Mai-Lamphun rd and stayed that way for quite a few months. It was eventually decided that the road was built too low, so they built it up to meet the bridge.

Apparently it is a re-constructon of the old bridge.

I was glad that they built it because it opened at almost the same time that I finished having my house built, over the river. It saved me going over Nawarat Bridge, so cut my journey home significantly - from about 8 minutes during rush hour to about 3. Very decent of them, I thought. I never did get around to thanking them. :o

The great thing was that when it was finished it was about a metre above the Chiang Mai-Lamphun rd and stayed that way for quite a few months. It was eventually decided that the road was built too low, so they built it up to meet the bridge.

You couldn't actually cross all the way, if I remember correctly.