Pvc Windows In Pattaya

NotNew2You

thanks for the offer to visit luudee but we live in korat,down stairs doors hopefuly shouldnt be too much of a problem if they know what they are doing,i am going to have a look at the house that had their wooden frames covered and see what it looks like.its the balcony doors that worry me as there is no way they can be re-hung i put a plumb on them the top is 2.5 inches out to the bottom,the forman of the builders said the rain caused the doors to warp.i took them off and showed him that there was nothing wrong with them but he just screwed his face as if to say my spirit level was out.so the frame is going to have to come out,the step and the floor tiles are going to have to be altered,then i have to hope i can get the same tiles,when its not raining and blowing its ok.the doors are left open all day and night and as the 2 bedrooms were knocked into one large one we put some japanese folding doors in the middle so with the back windows open we get a good flow of air its only when them bloody frogs are mateing[like car alarms] they are closed.oh well its happy days just locked the car keys in the boot,the grass and bush cutter we just bought got to go back but its another shity day in paradise.meatboy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any experience with Tryba windows?

Avoid them as the pest.

I don't mean Tryba, as they are a reliable French company but not present in Thailand anymore for at least 10 years, but the guy who illegally uses the name Tryba in Thailand.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Further to tftest's question above, what is the big deal about pvc? I have always used aluminium and been very happy with the results. I've also found that when thick, tinted glass is used, there is very little flex and even the cops, when demonstrating a break in for our local neighbourhood watch group and using my house for the demo, could not enter through the window (without even using deadlocks or multilocks to secure the window).

How durable is pvc to sunlight?

A breif explination of pvc

Pvc / Vinyl window systems are available now all over Thailand .

The actaul pvc is only part of the overall finished product. All fabricators will import this from various extrusion companies ( the "brand" name you may associate pvc with , i.e Veka , Thyssen , Kommerling etc.).

The quality of these extrusions varies dramatically from company and profile . The main agent for giving Pvc its colour is Titanium dioxide and its the content of this within the profile wich will dictate if the pvc will discolour in time or not. When new they will all look exactly the same but i assure you there actual make up is not. This alone will dictate if the product will discolour in time or not. You should check the small print on the suppliers warranty some exclude the colour or give it a limited warranty others give a full 10 year warranty on colour.

It is interesting to note that people refer to the windows either by brand name or by individual fabricator and state their pros and cons to both. When infact the same fabricator may well be supplying two or even three different brand name profiles in the market place.

You really should remeber that when choosing a window supplier the pvc as stated above is only a Component of the finished system . Other questions should be asked also , Is the profile re-inforced ( is it galvanised steel ? what is the thickness of this ) ( a simple test to see if re-inforcemnt is being used is to run a magnet over the profile ) what hardware is used ( is it european , chinese ? , you Will find alot of suppliers offering "German" pvc windows and use chinese hardware and fittings to reduce costs).

This also extends to the locking systems used , are they full multi -point , simple finger locks , self cliping , brass , steel , stainless ?

As with all window systems as I stated before unless it is installed correctly you will reduce its benefits drastically. If you have made you decision as to wich supplier to use I highly recommend you visit previous installations and not just the ones they take you too but others they don't tell you about afterall if there taking you to see an existing customer they wouldn't take you to an unhappy one would they ?

General pricing for pvc per square meter is actually quite difficult as it depends on design , size , glass spec , hardware etc . etc. some companies will give an indication but would generally base this on a "typical design and size" and probably wont be what your after. That said an indication for a "standard" home replacement in single glass will range from around 2,500Thb to 5,000Thb per square meter depending on the quality your after and the options used.

A few advantages of pvc

Pvc during fabrication uses a friction weld on its corners rather than in aluminium where a "mechanical" joint is used so is much less exposed to water leakage

Sea salt air has no affect on Pvc as Aluminium will oxidise / corrode if scratched or exposed

The use of double / triple glazing is a standard option for pvc

It is the "greenest" option for windows for the envoiroment and is 100 % recyclable

Pvc is a very poor conductor of heat , the transmission of heat to the interior is considerably less than aluminium

It can be used for virtually any window design including arch and circular designs

The lifetime of a pvc window based on data from Euope is 40 years

Termites and such creatures do not attack pvc as they will in wooden subframes sometimes used by aluminium window systems

The use of Galvanised steel for structual strength

Full Multipoint lock options give higher spec security over standard aluminium frames

Hope the above makes things a little clearer smile.gif Any more questions i'll try to answer with an unbiased reply biggrin.gif

Thanks for that great information, N47HAN. I'm about arrange for PVC windows for a house I'm building in Sakon Nakhon. This post is a few years old. Any new info that I should be aware of?

My Swing door now got it's mosquito screen as well.

It has a study feel to it, and closes with a magnet stripe on both sides.

Looks clean and functional. I am quite happy with the overall quality

provided by ARC.

Here are some pics:

post-81891-0-91783300-1370083345_thumb.j

post-81891-0-55976000-1370083359_thumb.j

post-81891-0-71466700-1370083373_thumb.j

post-81891-0-57209100-1370083396_thumb.j

post-81891-0-38382700-1370083409_thumb.j

luudee

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

So now I am stuck with a bunch of old aluminum windows.

I have the frames as well, but I think those have to be

made new from scratch. The old ones got pretty beaten

up as they where taking them out ...

My Old windows used to be 150 x 110 cm, the individual

panels (36 pcs) are 75 x 109 cm

The Sliding doors used to be 200 x 250 cm, the individual

panels (6 pcs) are 196 x 127 cm

The glass is 6 mm reflective blue.

Seems a pity to bring this all to aluminum recycling ...

Anybody interested ? Please make me a reasonable offer
(for the complete lot if possible).

The pictures show the partial lot ...

post-81891-0-19061500-1370777709_thumb.j

post-81891-0-88644900-1370777720_thumb.j

luudee

Edited by luudee

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

So now I am stuck with a bunch of old aluminum windows.

I have the frames as well, but I think those have to be

made new from scratch. The old ones got pretty beaten

up as they where taking them out ...

My Old windows used to be 150 x 110 cm, the individual

panels (36 pcs) are 75 x 109 cm

The Sliding doors used to be 200 x 250 cm, the individual

panels (6 pcs) are 196 x 127 cm

The glass is 6 mm reflective blue.

Seems a pity to bring this all to aluminum recycling ...

Anybody interested ? Please make me a reasonable offer

(for the complete lot if possible).

The pictures show the partial lot ...

attachicon.gifold_win1.jpg

attachicon.gifold_win2.jpg

luudee

There is (or was) a ramshackle store who buy second hand stuff of all sorts located in the Soi that runs from Pattaya Tai to Thappasit - on a sharp corner if I remember correctly - Soi 16? off Tai. They came out to our place and gave us a quote for some stuff and may take your windows. Sorry I do not have their number.

There is (or was) a ramshackle store who buy second hand stuff of all sorts located in the Soi that runs from Pattaya Tai to Thappasit - on a sharp corner if I remember correctly - Soi 16? off Tai. They came out to our place and gave us a quote for some stuff and may take your windows. Sorry I do not have their number.

Thanks Topt ! I'll drive around and check it out ...

luudee

Thanks Topt ! I'll drive around and check it out ...

luudee

There is a second hand shop for buildng materials right at the highway exit to Soi siam country club

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

does any one know of companies around the Khon Kaen area? Im needing large sliding upvc doors. Ive been looking on the net, but come up with nothing. I contacted a few in the pattaya/ bangkok area but they havent bothered to relpy....IM looking at get them 21mtr in lenght by 2.5 mtr high...

Im wanting them on the ground floor of the house!!post-59144-0-85586900-1384404593_thumb.j

cheers for any help

Edited by jonny5

• 3 months later...

Hello,

does any one know of companies around the Khon Kaen area? Im needing large sliding upvc doors. Ive been looking on the net, but come up with nothing. I contacted a few in the pattaya/ bangkok area but they havent bothered to relpy....IM looking at get them 21mtr in lenght by 2.5 mtr high...

Im wanting them on the ground floor of the house!!attachicon.gif962784_1755436814595289_782612831_n.jpg

cheers for any help

Well, Instead of searching for the upvc windows in your area, why don't you try to book your stuffs online? When we were getting our house built, we had ordered doors and windows form Alpha impact windows. Their doors/windows are durable and efficient as well. Try them they serves great.

Edited by lillyhofs

• 5 months later...

I think it is time to post a follow up. smile.png

As you can see from this thread I had PVC windows installed by ARC. I also had

4 A/C units installed by them around the same time.

Since then, my regular contact at ARC (Khun Tum) quit. And my alternative has

been the other thai staff or one of the farang managers.

I have been very disappointed with the after sales service and one repair request.

It appears as I have to send at least a half dozen emails and make at least 10 phone

calls before any attention is given or somebody follows up. This includes the farang

manager (will not post his name here - I do have his full contact).

I gave up on having the A/Cs serviced by them and contracted another company for that.

When Khun Tum was still there, any single email/SMS/voice mail got returned the same

or next day. She was really great. Without her, I feel the entire company is worthless.

Even though their installation team with the back than German supervisor did an OK job.

Now, about a year later, I can see where they replaced the stainless steel screws with

regular screws (which are starting to rust) and am I going around and am trying to replace

them ... I am not sure I would chose ARC today again ... would take a very very careful

look at the competition. When I did chose them, they where the best deal in my case (25

windows, 3 x 5m sliding doors, and one 5m swing door).

I will post an update on my windows finishing in the next couple of days. I made some

changes to what they did on original installation ...

luudee

Attached are two pics that show how I chose to do the final finishing of

my windows (and doors). As you might recall from my previous posts, when

the workers ripped out the old windows they broke off pieces of concrete

around the windows, and their method of fixing them, to fill the big holes

with silicone.

I knew I was going to re-paint the house after the window job anyway, and

asked them not to try to finish the outside walls.

As we where getting ready to repaint, we cleaned out all the silicone they

did squirt in various holes and around the frame.

We used proper fillers to repair the walls. Than primer and paint.

As a final step we installed L brackets over the wall edges and than sealed

all seems with UV resistant acrylic sealant. The L brackets we used where

quite big (6 cm) and had to be cut to properly fit on the window side.

All windows frames are about 1 cm from the wall edge towards the inside of

the house.

This look might appeal to everybody, but my main concern was the wall edges

cracking open over time and water sipping in (as it happened when the original

windows where installed).

I hope this will last !

Cheers,

luudee

post-81891-0-85358100-1406624052_thumb.j

post-81891-0-31461500-1406624108_thumb.j

This really should be part of the finishing when they retrofit into old windows.

In fairness to the company concerned there is no way to avoid the cement coming away in places. However a proper filler and then architrave should be used to complete the job.

Edit ,

There are quite a few options of the profile you have used for the architrave , some alot less wide , some with a more "moulded" finish.

All of which the company should have in stock.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

Window renovation jobs can be difficult, especially wood windows. Alu Renovation is usually easier since the frames are not deeply embedded like wood. But problematic are also deteriorating walls from longterm water soaking. It is required to properly dry and repair these walls, maybe even rebuild some of them. I doubt the window company had some good guys that can do that. We always ask the homeowner to hire somebody with experience.. and to protect more water damage in the future?? Hey, windowsills. Its funny how nobody offers or uses them in thailand. They work great to keep water under your frames out and off the house wall too.

If walls break away then the old cement and bricks should be better removed and rebuild. After that windows can be wedged in and scaled. Construction foam for bigger or uneven gaps and also hybrid polymer sealing should be used over standard silicone

Another problem you mention are the rusting screws. Especially close to seaside this will happen very fast. Our company tries to forsee many issues so we take stainless steel screws to fix all window hardwares. The window->wall screws are 'chromated frame anchors' that are actually imported from Germany.

• 3 months later...