Samsung Omnia Sgh-i 900

HDRIDER

• 2 weeks later...
I was actual looking for the same mobile phone and found that somebody in Thailand already seems to have tasted the phone Samsung Omnia SGH-I900 Experience

There's a discussion forum here dedicated to the Omnia

Official thread for Samsung Omnia

http://www.ppcsg.com/index.php?showtopic=101064

I've read a lot of reviews and comparisons with the Omnia, HTC Diamond and Iphone.

For me, I want windows mobile office, excel in particular so that rules out the Iphone.

The Diamond sounds good but only 2.8" display vs Omnia 3.2" display and Iphone 3.5".

However the resolution on the HTC is superior to the Omnia so apparently text on webpages may be easier to read on the HTC despite the smaller display.

Will be interesting if business oriented smartphones start going towards large lightweight touch screen display phones and abandon the conventional qwerty keyboard.

Hi

I have the HTC P3600I, very hard to see the screen in day/sun light, but the phone is very good, never had a problem with it, just that i like the Omnia

Apparently the HTC Diamond display performs slightly better in sunlight than the Omnia

<H3 itxtvisited="1">Display: VGA wins on points</H3>The specs tell the whole story here - the HTC Touch Diamond VGA screen has more than three times the pixel count of the Samsung i900 Omnia wide QVGA unit. What can we say - seeing is believing: the Diamond pulls off a much finer image in some applications.

The problem is that a 2.8" screen is a bit too small for VGA to show its full potential. Still, there are plenty of applications where the difference is as tangible as it gets - navigation apps, the web browser, and the gallery just to name a few.

Of course, size does matter when it comes to displays, so the 3.2" screen of the Omnia earns a different kind of pat on the back. If only the Diamond had a similar-sized display, it would've made much more of that VGA resolution.

Sunlight legibility issues have been plaguing PocketPC displays forever and sadly they remain unsolved in both the Diamond and the Omnia. In all fairness, the HTC performs somewhat better in the sun but still doesn't come even close to Nokia screen standards for example (let alone Apple iPhone).

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_diamond_...eview-262p2.php

• 2 weeks later...

Mini Review: Samsung Omnia Sgh-i 900

Things to like:

• Slim form factor
  • Long battery life
  • Large display
  • Fully featured
  • Great web browsing with Opera 9.5
  • Good MP3 player
  • Good 5MP camera
  • Landscape QWERTY keyboard
  • MicroSD card slot
  • DivX video support
  • Tv-Out
  • Customizable front page sidebar
  • Microsoft Mobil Office Pack (Word, Excel ++)
  • Quad-band GSM and HSDPA
  • GPS
  • WI-FI
  • FM radio

Things which could have been better:

• Only have a Samsung proprietary multi connector. (No miniUSB slot or mini-jack for headphones)
  • Low sunlight legibility

Things which would improve the phone.

• Dedicated mini-jack headphone connector on top of phone.
  • Higher screen resolution
  • Higher sunlight legibility
  • Refined icon and UI Graphics
  • Extend the Touchwiz UI further levels into the windows mobile structure.

Edited by Fun2Fun

Mini Review: Samsung Omnia Sgh-i 900

Things to like:

• Large display

What no remote for the TV or built in shaver like my O2 Flame? When are they going to build PPC phones again with 3.6inch or larger VGA or higher screens? What can I buy when my Flame finally craps out on me, which it surely will one day..

Ps... was just kidding about the shaver, but I do have a shaver mp3 file to confuse people!

I bought the OMNIA a few days ago and tried to set up a connection to my laptop to secure all the addresses (contacts) etc.

My laptop runs on Vista.

I installed the synchronisation software from the CD in the OMNIA's package (Windows Mobile Device Center) and then tried to set it up properly. But the set-up insists on "Outlook not installed" and I cannot backup my Samsung.

Apparently Window's own synchronisation software does not know that under Vista, there is no Outlook anymore. It's called "Microsoft Mail" now. And this program is properly installed. There is no way to install and old version of Outlook under Vista.

So just a warning to all you potential OMNIA buyers: The accompanying software is seriously flawed. (Why am I not surprised, it's Microsoft, right?) Back-up are NOT possible.

But if any of you has an idea how to solve the problem, i would be more than happy.

I bought the OMNIA a few days ago and tried to set up a connection to my laptop to secure all the addresses (contacts) etc.

My laptop runs on Vista.

I installed the synchronisation software from the CD in the OMNIA's package (Windows Mobile Device Center) and then tried to set it up properly. But the set-up insists on "Outlook not installed" and I cannot backup my Samsung.

Apparently Window's own synchronisation software does not know that under Vista, there is no Outlook anymore. It's called "Microsoft Mail" now. And this program is properly installed. There is no way to install and old version of Outlook under Vista.

So just a warning to all you potential OMNIA buyers: The accompanying software is seriously flawed. (Why am I not surprised, it's Microsoft, right?) Back-up are NOT possible.

But if any of you has an idea how to solve the problem, i would be more than happy.

I've got no idea but you might find an answer on this forum

http://www.ppcsg.com/mobile/index.php/t101253.html

My laptop runs on Vista.

Install Windows Office on your laptop. (Includes: Word, Excel, Outlook++)

Edited by Fun2Fun

I've read that the haptic feedback does not work with the keyboard

A fix may be on the way but not certain

Now here’s the disappointment, this phone was supposed to have haptic feedback and it does to a small extent however where would you most want to have this great feature, yes on the keyboard, and is it there, no!!!! Come on Samsung what is the point of giving us haptic feedback on big icons that we press when we really need it to type with. Modaco are reporting that a new Rom update will be released soon to enable the haptics on at least the Samsung Keyboard but it should be on it now.

http://www.mobiletechaddicts.com/2008/08/2...0-omnia-review/

there was a recent rom update but this apparently caused the haptic feedback to disappear altogether.

August 25, 2008

samsung-i900-omnia-rom-update-teaser-thumb.jpg Samsung Singapore just made its first ROM update for the SGH-i900 Omnia Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional smartphone available which can now be downloaded from the web........

.......There are several posts in the comments section that this update has an adverse effect on haptic technology implimentation that Chris noted was missing in his review. Those who had it seem to have lost it:

http://www.mobiletechaddicts.com/2008/08/2...bye-bye-haptic/

I guess they'll sort it out eventually ?

The Omni sold here in Thailand, Have the Rom version that have haptic/vibrating feedback. (Only on main navigation/icon, it does not extend to the keyboard)

The phone model is still quite new and Samsung will presumably publish more Rom updates sooner or later.

Edited by Fun2Fun

New ROM update: DXHH3

Many changes which also includes haptic/vibrating feedback in close to all modes and improved finger navigation and usability.

OK, so haptic feedback now exists on all keyboard modes post the ROM update ?

yes on all the Samsung keyboard modes

Hi

Will it be updated if i buy the phone Monday, or do you have to do it over the net??

Thx

Hi, since the HH3 is not a public release yet, its just a service center update, the sold models will probably not have this ROM.

But you can ask the shop or the closest Samsung service center to do it for you.

Failing that you can do it yourself, providing you have access to a windows XP box. (There has been reported problems with flashing the ROM using Vista)