Least Salary/income That Make Ur Move Worthwhile

Please select the minimum amount U need to make?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't list any more higher amounts for reasons:

-I didn't think they are seemingly achiveable.

-It's pure greed and you'r not a thailand lover.

What <deleted>! So because I have a good UK business that pays 2-3 million baht per month, by definition, I am not a Thailand lover?????

Tuition fees for 2004/2005 School Year are:

Middle (Grades 6-8) 543,600

High (Grades 9-12) 564,500

The ESL fee is 157,100 Baht per year

The Transportation 2004/2005 School Year are:

26 to 35 km 59,800

Above an extract from one of the international schools in BKK,

you got 2 children. english 2nd language, 1 in middle, one in high grade.

Your fee for school alone is Baht 1,541,900 p.a. or Baht 128,491.66 per month.

You might wish to rent an appartment, let's say Baht 50,000 p.m. Might need a car

I put down at Baht 20,000 p.m. wich is probably too low.

Maybe wife and you need some food, not possible, just for schooling, housing and

wheels you pay already 200,000.

What are you talking about?

Middle (Grades 6-8)  543,600 

High (Grades 9-12)  564,500 

26 to 35 km 59,800

You might wish to rent an appartment, let's say Baht 50,000 p.m. Might need a car

Maybe wife and you need some food, not possible, just for schooling, housing and

Point taken .... :D , I was thinking a totally different point of view... :o

totster :D

What <deleted>! So because I have a good UK business that pays 2-3 million baht per month, by definition, I am not a Thailand lover?????

Maybe. If you put your money where your mouth is :o

I can never understand how millions of Thai population survive as their average earning mostly is under 10000bth a month? I am a Thai living in UK, may be I am out of touch of how my people live? :o

I have seen it so many times here people(farangs) arguing about you can't live on such and such amount of money and it s impossible to do so.

I have read the Thai newspaper about government crackdown on prostitutes at Lumpini park. And they mention about between the girls arrested, a few of them are respectable civil servants earning good salary of....6500 bth!!! yes according to the paper they call it good salary. And people here said you just about to survive on 200,000 bth. Are you really talking about living in Thailand? :D

Sorry, but what is this apparent obsession with associating wanting a better income as being greedy?

Greed is the quest of wealth for the sake of being wealthy.

This is hardly the same as the quest of a better income (or even wealth if you will), with the goal of providing a better life for one's family and a better education for one's children.

Specific to myself, one of my fiancee's and my goals is to save $120,000 USD for her daughter's university education (appx $30K a year). If I can figure out a way to save more so that she can go to a better school if she wants to, is that greedy?

If I want to try and save more money so that we can build or buy a nice second house, possibly as a vacation spot or as an investment for some economic security, is that greedy?

Is this what you really mean?

Cheers,

Spee (สพี)

The question is about "Moving to thailand" and i don't see

any reason that you have to, unless you can make half

that amount. No, you aren't greedy, because your earning

is huge, and you should stay where you are.

I am talking about those who grumble for losing $2-3K a

month because of less income resulting from move to thailand

I can never understand how millions of Thai population survive as their average earning mostly is under 10000bth a month? I am a Thai living in UK, may be I am out of touch of how my people live? :o 

I have seen it so many times here people(farangs) arguing about you can't live on such and such amount of money and it s impossible to do so.

I have read the Thai newspaper about government crackdown on prostitutes at Lumpini park. And they mention about between the girls arrested, a few of them are respectable civil servants earning good salary of....6500 bth!!! yes according to the paper they call it good salary. And people here said you just about to survive on 200,000 bth. Are you really talking about living in Thailand? :D

The living style is differnet like say:

-Thais don't pay as much for having sex partner.

-Most farangs can't eat thai food all the time.

-Most farangs don't like to stay home and drink somthing called mehkong.

-Most farangs need to pay "At least 10,000 Bhat for accommodtion" even

more if married.

-Thais don't travel as much farang do.

and much more

Most important farang being overcharged for most things compared

to thais.

Sorry, but what is this apparent obsession with associating wanting a better income as being greedy?

Greed is the quest of wealth for the sake of being wealthy.

This is hardly the same as the quest of a better income (or even wealth if you will), with the goal of providing a better life for one's family and a better education for one's children.

Specific to myself, one of my fiancee's and my goals is to save $120,000 USD for her daughter's university education (appx $30K a year). If I can figure out a way to save more so that she can go to a better school if she wants to, is that greedy?

If I want to try and save more money so that we can build or buy a nice second house, possibly as a vacation spot or as an investment for some economic security, is that greedy?

Is this what you really mean?

Cheers,

Spee (สพี)

The issue here for most farang is that they have to give up

many things aside from earnings if they want to live in Los,

because simply not much financial oppurtunitis, but more

adventurous and less of routine life.

Ofcourse everyone like to earn and save more, but not every

one is ready to give up freedom and happiness for sake of

making little more money. Even some guys think marriage

makes them slave to their work.

The issue here for most farang is that they have to give up

many things aside from earnings if they want to live in Los,

because simply not much financial oppurtunitis, but more

adventurous and less of routine life.

Ofcourse everyone like to earn and save more, but not every

one is ready to give up freedom and happiness for sake of

making little more money. Even some guys think marriage

makes them slave to their work.

I'm okay with your point of view, but forgive me, I think this is the cup half full or cup half empty approach.

If one moves to LoS either full time or part time, and is happy with that change and the life that it gives them, then why is anything given up?

Or why is giving something up viewed as an apparent loss of lifestyle or happiness?

Cheers,

Spee (สพี)

:o

26 to 35 km 59,800

Where on earth do you find these figures?

The Regents is undoubtly the best international school in the Pattaya area and the annual costs do not exceed 1M baht all incl., less than half your estimate. There are even much cheaper alternatives, International School of Pattaya (ISP) around 300,000/year, Wuttichot and Satit Siriwhatever around 100,000/year.

You also can rent an excellent house in a secure village with pool for 15,000 or less, and a high-end pick-up (excellent choice for the roads around Pattaya) will not set you back more than 15k.

Unless you have an extravagant lifestyle I think most people would be fine with 125,000 baht/month.

The living style is differnet like say:

-Most farangs need to pay "At least 10,000 Bhat for accommodtion" even

more if married.

and much more

Most important farang being overcharged for most things compared

to thais.

I Guess I'm not "most Farangs" then :o

Just did a quick google

Ave earnings in UK 473.8 Pounds/week = 133,000 bht a month

Ave earning US 530.88$= 84800 bht a month

Source

http://www.wales.gov.uk/keypubstatisticsfo...04/sb4-2004.htm

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.nr0.htm

I was supprised at the american one , would of thought it would of been higher. Anyway there are before tax fig with the british you would probably take home about 80,000 bht a month.

What I can understand is if these are the Ave earnings in UK/US I'd assume that the ave person could live on them. So why when they come here would they NEED to make 200,000 plus.

Yes its great if you get it, but you dont actually need it.

I can never understand how millions of Thai population survive as their average earning mostly is under 10000bth a month? I am a Thai living in UK, may be I am out of touch of how my people live? :D 

This is about foreigners living in Thailand. They have expenses Thais don't have.

The required income/money iin the bank for visa purposes alone is enough for a small village to survive, perhaps the Thai government is out of touch with reality as well, then?

Speaking for myself, I need to make 10.000Baht /month just to cover the expenses of visa fees, associated travel and a yearly trip to Europe to visit my family. And this is low, it means staying with friends or in budget accomodation when traveling.

Further, in contrast to most Thais I know, I consider private medical and accident insurance imperative, as well as a pension plan. I do not intend to live off my daughter and her cousins when I get ill or old.

Agreed, without any of this, me and my 3 women (daughter, gf and her mother) could live on 6000 Baht/month in the village, no problem for me, there is a phone line, homegrown sticky rice and free range eggs from our chickens, high potency Lao Kao delivered for 30bth/plastic bag. Actually, as I am writing, I wonder why I am not doing this? :o

The girls would have to make do without their cellphones and other toys, though, this move would make me somewhat unpopular. :D

It's all so relative. 6.5 yrs ago, I left England to come here. I was earning around 300,000 Baht per month.

Thais, who I'd known before, couldn't understand what I'd done. I eventually broke the monthly figure down after tax, NI, mortgage, travel to work, the cost of food, cigarettes, clothes etc etc ad nauseam.

Then explained that my property in London grossed me 100,000 a month. "So, who's the poor person now?". They still couldn't get it.

My g/f and I live comfortably on 65,000 a month and I'm also able to save money back home for the inevitable rainy days out of that.

I voted 30,000. This is my monthly salary. I'd love more money(Who wouldn't?) But my life its cruisy. My job involves me teaching 18 hours a week. Though i work more doing lesson plans and prep for classes. My gf earns a good salary also. So we are ok. Even if i wasn't with her. I'd be ok. I could work more ie. doing privates. But i dont want to be working 6 or 7 days. I do that in the Uk. I earn a grand a week doing that. I'm not here for the money. Its the lifestyle and being happy. Would be nice to get a farang salary working for a big company. Fair play to anyone who does. As long as your happy and can live on whatever. Thats important.

The girls I knew in Chiang Mai said that 250 baht a day was good, so that's 5000 a month, assuming 5-day week. Accommodation and food swallowed about 3000 of that so they had 2000 a month to blow on whatever.

That was put very well, the two points made:

1. I'm not here for the money. Its the lifestyle and being happy.

2. The living style is differnet like say:

-Most farangs need to pay "At least 10,000 Bhat for accommodtion"

Point 2 is what Thai's never really understand. They are paying of a bank loan, while I am renting at 5 times the price. Yes, in Thailand falangs travel more. We are here to see the country and get around.

Well stated. :o

The Regents is undoubtly the best international school in the Pattaya area and the annual costs do not exceed 1M baht all incl., less than half your estimate. There are even much cheaper alternatives, International School of Pattaya (ISP) around 300,000/year, Wuttichot and Satit Siriwhatever around 100,000/year.

Unless you have an extravagant lifestyle I think most people would be fine with 125,000 baht/month.

Does someone really think the student in International School of

Pattaya (ISP) around 300,000/year, or Wuttichot and Satit Siriwhatever

around 100,000/year get that much less educated than attending

Regents (1 million Bhat/year)?

I don't think that much differs really.

It's all so relative. 6.5 yrs ago, I left England to come here. I was earning around 300,000 Baht per month.

Thais, who I'd known before, couldn't understand what I'd done. I eventually broke the monthly figure down after tax, NI, mortgage, travel to work, the cost of food, cigarettes, clothes etc etc ad nauseam.

Then explained that my property in London grossed me 100,000 a month. "So, who's the poor person now?". They still couldn't get it.

My g/f and I live comfortably on 65,000 a month and I'm also able to save money back home for the inevitable rainy days out of that.

That's 5 times less than what you used to get. I really can't go any

lower than for 3 times less what i can make at my homeland.

The girls I knew in Chiang Mai said that 250 baht a day was good, so that's 5000 a month, assuming 5-day week. Accommodation and food swallowed about 3000 of that so they had 2000 a month to blow on whatever.

Now, if she say that in the west, people think she is unmotivated and narrow

minded person

To my surprise, why some thai girls wants at least 20,000Baht

from boyfriends who send money from Overseas, when they

can make just 5k on their own (I am not talking about nighttime business)?

That was put very well, the two points made:

1. I'm not here for the money. Its the lifestyle and being happy.

2. The living style is differnet like say:

-Most farangs need to pay "At least 10,000 Bhat for accommodtion"

Point 2 is what Thai's never really understand. They are paying of a bank loan, while I am renting at 5 times the price. Yes, in Thailand falangs travel more. We are here to see the country and get around.

Well stated.  :o

Thanks.

Above poll seemingly indicates that:

- Mojority would settle for less than 100K Baht/month.

- Some higher figures could be achiveable in Los for some

and for some little exaggeration.

-200K<...>250K should be overseas earning to my estimation.

It is easy to generalise and make assumptions.

"-Thais don't pay as much for having sex partner." What is the basis for this statement? Girlfriend, mia noi, casual sex, commercial sex? This statement doesn't make sense, specially not for justifying that farangs need more money than Thais.

"-Most farangs can't eat thai food all the time." Does it cost more to fry some potatoes and a porkshop at home? Does this make a substancial difference in expenses?

"-Most farangs don't like to stay home and drink somthing called mehkong." Maybe most Thais don't like it either? Is your barhopping the reason you need more money?

"-Most farangs need to pay "At least 10,000 Bhat for accommodtion" Why? What's wrong with a room for 2000 Baht?

These are excuses, there is no necessity for farangs to spend more on these things than Thais. Of course you want to be comfortable, but let's not pretend this is why you 'need' more money than a Thai.

To my surprise, why some thai girls wants at least 20,000Baht

from boyfriends who send money from Overseas, when they

can make just 5k on their own (I am not talking about nighttime business)?

Maybe for the same reasons farangs want 60.000, 100.000 or more to spend in a month. It makes life more comfortable, doesn't it?
Above poll seemingly indicates that:

- Mojority would settle for less than 100K Baht/month.

- Some higher figures could be achiveable in Los for some

and for some little exaggeration.

-200K<...>250K should be overseas earning to my estimation.

Hey, hey, mister, the poll was for the minimum one would settle for.

What could be achievable is a very different perspective with different answers!

=madsere,2004-11-14 09:13:48]Your fee for school alone is Baht 1,541,900 p.a.

The Regents is undoubtly the best international school in the Pattaya area and the annual costs do not exceed 1M baht all incl., less than half your estimate.

Where on earth did find the figures? I just clicked on ISB BKK

http://www.isb.ac.th/content/Detail.asp?ID=101

The other schools are similar.

The Regents 1 M Baht. Is this for two students as per my example or one?

What I try to explain, is a typical expatriate-family, as I saw them over 10 years while our son was in school in Bangkok. Examples from PTA etc.

Now these families come here for 4-6 years, maybe longer. If school and housing is not paid, they would not come.

We are talking about the Least Salary/income That Make Ur Move Worthwhile

If you are in charge for your company to hire an expatriate from the States, Europe or Australia, that are the costs the company has to consider. I.e. salary and refund on schooling, which back home is free. After a certain period the employee want to go home and the children must be repatriated into their country's schools, so you need an international school with relevant.

Whether the company pays an all in package and say you pay your own schooling, housing, transportation or pays a salary plus plus makes no difference, except in taxation.

If you want to come to LoS for private reason, the matter gets different. The comnpanies will hire on local agreement and the employee has to see how to get along.

Another alternative for the company, of course, is to hire unmarried staff and send on relatively low salary for a few years to LoS. Actually, I see it all the time, that highly qualified staff don't get a job, because they are just too expensive with housing, schooling, family etc. It is cheaper to pay for mistakes of a younger staff than to pay what a more experienced one needs.

It is easy to generalise and make assumptions.

"-Thais don't pay as much for having sex partner." What is the basis for this statement? Girlfriend, mia noi, casual sex, commercial sex? This statement doesn't make sense, specially not for justifying that farangs need more money than Thais.

"-Most farangs can't eat thai food all the time." Does it cost more to fry some potatoes and a porkshop at home? Does this make a substancial difference in expenses?

"-Most farangs don't like to stay home and drink somthing called mehkong." Maybe most Thais don't like it either? Is your barhopping the reason you need more money?

"-Most farangs need to pay "At least 10,000 Bhat for accommodtion" Why? What's wrong with a room for 2000 Baht?

These are excuses, there is no necessity for farangs to spend more on these things than Thais. Of course you want to be comfortable, but let's not pretend this is why you 'need' more money than a Thai.

Well, said. May I also add that if you are married then you have nothing to pay for regarding sex :D and if you own a house or condo then you have no rent to pay either. And yes as a Thai I can tell you that me and my mates in LOS don't sit at home drinking mehkong. We do a lot of bars and restuarants hopping on Friday and weekend or whenever we find an excuse to go :o We also traveling a lot at a drop of a hat really, something we don't plan but go when anyone happen to suggest anything during the weekend.

But again it s true that the more money you have anywhere in the world really is the better. To me moving back to LOS ,me and my partner will have less money than we have in UK. But the quality of life will be much better. :D

26 to 35 km 59,800

Axel my friend ,

Will you hire me for half that in Thailand ? I will be on the next plane .

Looking forward to working with you . See you soon , ok

Take care ,

Jeff