Thai Employees, Can You Trust Them?

A 'nice guy' mate of mine started a French restaurant here.

Decided to be the nice boss and pay people 8 000 instead of 4 000. To boost morale and make theft less attractive.

5 of 'em sat round feeling all proud and middle class as if they were all managers and when told to do something they said "Oh you can hire someone for 4000 a month to do THAT kind of sh*t"

Theft continued.....they didn't appreciate what he had done for them so he sold it to a hard assed Chinese businessman who cut salaries in half and worked em like slaves while practically living in the restaurant. He went on to make a packet.

Is this what you have to do to get a business off the ground here? Do nice bosses never make it here? I've haven't heard of any.

What's been your experience with Thai employees?

Maybe this doesnt exactly apply, but this is what I have learnt.

I have been teaching thailand for about a year now. The first 3 months of teaching were absolutly horrible. Eventhough I I had certificates and the understanding on how to teach the students still stepped all over me because I was just to nice. they my class as a joke because that is what they thing about the falang person as, as a pushover. I took about 4 months off to re-evaluate myself and then decided to do like any teacher here or in america would do....I got tough. Now my classes run smothly, my students love me because they feel I care, and the teacher love me because it is what thai people need, the need a dicipline leader.

Excuse me for my sloppy spelling

Maybe this doesnt exactly apply, but this is what I have learnt.

I have been teaching thailand for about a year now. The first 3 months of teaching were absolutly horrible. Eventhough I I had certificates and the understanding on how to teach the students still stepped all over me because I was just to nice. they my class as a joke because that is what they thing about the falang person as, as a pushover. I took about 4 months off to re-evaluate myself and then decided to do like any teacher here or in america would do....I got tough. Now my classes run smothly, my students love me because they feel I care, and the teacher love me because it is what thai people need, the need a dicipline leader.

Excuse me for my sloppy spelling

I like smart teachers who are smart students, too! :D

I know how good that feeling is inside when you've finally conquered something that was dragging you down, and teachers get plenty of chances to get dragged down, na'? :D

As for employees, they're a bit less of a 'captive audience' than students- unless you're a prison teacher, of course :D . Others can flee the scene pretty much anytime the going gets tough... :o

In the Frenchie's case, I feel it was a mistake to start off being waay overly generous with salaries. It seems to signal to some that you are an easy mark, and open to being manipulated or exploited. That could mean something as small as a poor work atitude, or something more nefarious, like them making plans to rob or kill you for your money- that you seemingly have enough to throw away...

I think the main thing an employer must pay attention to is the clues you may see to signal any problems, and make sure you do whatever you need to do to protect your interests and keep a lid on problems. Maybe by offering bonus for special work, or even something as simple as, " Good job! Thanks!" Everyone likes to be appreciated, so don't be stingy with positive feedback when appropriate. On the other hand, it's just as important to confront the negative behaviours you don't want, starting with a carrot, but having that 'stick' available if needed. I've fired plenty of folks who come in with an atitude of 'doing the least, for the most'. I just don't work that way, so this attitude comes in direct conflict with our working environment. I don't want to chase someone around all day and say, "okay, now do this"...."okay, now do this" all day long... I want to train them properly, so that they don't need me breathing down their neck. If they start heading in the wrong direction, a bit of gentle guidance is needed. If that doesn't work, I start looking for a new employee asap. Still plenty of fish in the market :D