Cat Internet/adsl Reliability

thainet

A member posted a while ago on a new CAT office in Soi Nern Plub Wan but I just can't find it, so if anyone can give me directions I'd appreciate it.

I have also heard that CAT is probably more reliable than TOT or Maxnet out in the lower Nern Plub Wan and Soi Siam Country Club areas.

Thanks for any info provided.

AFAIK they do not have an office on soi Nern Plub Waan.

What they do have is a substation enabling them to distribute ADSL in that area.

More info @ the CAT office on South Pattaya road.

It's definitely more reliable then TOT, slightly better then TT&T (Premier packages). The only thing you never have problems with when on CAT is problems with the cable between your house and their distribution point. They pull a new dedicated cable for that.

It's also quite a bit more expensive then TT&T, with TT&T currently offering 3Mbps/1Mbps for 1990 Baht/month (+vat), whereas CAT would be 2600 Baht/month +vat for a 2Mbps/1Mbps connection.

I do think CAT will offer better and more stable speeds then TT&T during peak hours, but can't really speak for TT&T as I haven't used it for a while.

On CAT I get a very stable 1.7 Mbps/800 kbps or better throughout the day, whatever the protocol (ftp, http, P2P,...)

What they do have is a substation enabling them to distribute ADSL in that area.

It's definitely more reliable then TOT, slightly better then TT&T (Premier packages). The only thing you never have problems with when on CAT is problems with the cable between your house and their distribution point. They pull a new dedicated cable for that.

It's also quite a bit more expensive then TT&T, with TT&T currently offering 3Mbps/1Mbps for 1990 Baht/month (+vat), whereas CAT would be 2600 Baht/month +vat for a 2Mbps/1Mbps connection.

I do think CAT will offer better and more stable speeds then TT&T during peak hours, but can't really speak for TT&T as I haven't used it for a while.

On CAT I get a very stable 1.7 Mbps/800 kbps or better throughout the day, whatever the protocol (ftp, http, P2P,...)

Just a quick note to confirm everthing that Monty said above. I live just a hundred meters or so from the CAT substation he mentioned. I am very happy with the CAT speed and reliability, but I do shed a tear every time I have to pay that huge bill. I spend a lot of time online, so, for me, it's an acceptable "entertainment fee".

Just a quick note to confirm everthing that Monty said above. I live just a hundred meters or so from the CAT substation he mentioned. I am very happy with the CAT speed and reliability, but I do shed a tear every time I have to pay that huge bill. I spend a lot of time online, so, for me, it's an acceptable "entertainment fee".

Monty and Patsfangr--MANY thanks for the non-office and reliability info. Cost is proportionate to useage as u said.--Thainet

If that's your only choice I guess that's OK, but if you are able to get TT&T where you live they are currently offering 2MB for 690 a month and three MB for 890 a month. Works good.

Barry

Friend of mine has the Indy, and although it works OK for surfing, P2P doesn't work, he's unable to get proper skype connections and during the peak hours speeds can drop dramatically. Even regular HTTP (rapidshare) downloads can come in at under 100 kbps on his 3000 kbps (=3Mbps) Indy package!

Different people have different needs, I for one would hate it to have to wait till after midnight to watch a youtube video without buffering etc.

Remember, for regular surfing you would be hard pressed to see the difference between a 512 kbps and a 10 Mbps connection. The need for speed is not there to download webpages, it's other uses/applications needing the speed...

One big advantage of going for the cheap Indy package (TT&T) is that when you are not happy with the performance, then it's a very easy upgrade to a Premier package, with instant gratification :o

If that's your only choice I guess that's OK, but if you are able to get TT&T where you live they are currently offering 2MB for 690 a month and three MB for 890 a month. Works good.

Barry

Friend of mine has the Indy, and although it works OK for surfing, P2P doesn't work, he's unable to get proper skype connections and during the peak hours speeds can drop dramatically. Even regular HTTP (rapidshare) downloads can come in at under 100 kbps on his 3000 kbps (=3Mbps) Indy package!

Different people have different needs, I for one would hate it to have to wait till after midnight to watch a youtube video without buffering etc.

Remember, for regular surfing you would be hard pressed to see the difference between a 512 kbps and a 10 Mbps connection. The need for speed is not there to download webpages, it's other uses/applications needing the speed...

One big advantage of going for the cheap Indy package (TT&T) is that when you are not happy with the performance, then it's a very easy upgrade to a Premier package, with instant gratification :o

I had Maxnet 790 a month and I was getting 2600KPS and I lived on Siam Country Club. I sold my house and moved to Korat last month and here I have Maxnet and pay 590 a month and get 1750KPS consistantly throughout the day and night.

Barry

p2p is working with tt&t but i can't say if there's a capped bandwith for such protocol as my downloads have very little seeds.

i have the 2meg 590 bath a month(indy), the speed tests i run on speedtest.net show most of the time 1750/430 as speeds.

forget CAT. TT&T`s New packages are really good.

CAT 2mb cost 2800 baht. no phone line.

TT&T 2mb Premier package. 1090 baht. and with a phone line too!

I just swapped from cat to TT&T, I have tested the speeds. TT&T 2mb Premier packeage must be using exactly the same system to CAT 2mb because the speeds are EXACTLY the same. every day i have tested TT&T 2mb Premier it at 1740KBPS, CAT was exactly the same consistantly!

I am now saving 65% of my internet cost and i have a phone line.

I think CAT must be dealing with MASSIVE rush to cancel CATs expensive services. why pay CAT 2800 when you can pay TT&T 1090 for the same service plus a phone line?

BY THE WAY Avoid TT&T "Indy" packages. they are over shared the ratio is about 100 users per Node and can get very SLOW.

PREMIER IS THE ONLY WAY.

I just swapped from cat to TT&T, I have tested the speeds. TT&T 2mb Premier packeage must be using exactly the same system to CAT 2mb because the speeds are EXACTLY the same. every day i have tested TT&T 2mb Premier it at 1740KBPS, CAT was exactly the same consistantly!

I think CAT must be dealing with MASSIVE rush to cancel CATs expensive services. why pay CAT 2800 when you can pay TT&T 1090 for the same service plus a phone line?

BY THE WAY Avoid TT&T "Indy" packages. they are over shared the ratio is about 100 users per Node and can get very SLOW.

PREMIER IS THE ONLY WAY.

First you need to be able to get a TT&T line! Many CAT users are in an area where no TT&T lines are available, or where the distance to the TT&T exchange is to big to get quality ADSL.

Secondly, at those low prices you get a rush of people subscribing to TT&T services, and most Thai ISP's have a history of not keeping up with growth, so no guarantee on how speeds will be 2 months down the line.

TT&T had some problems a while ago when they doubled everyone's speed, driving most users nuts for a couple of weeks.

PREMIER IS THE ONLY WAY.

First you need to be able to get a TT&T line! Many CAT users are in an area where no TT&T lines are available, or where the distance to the TT&T exchange is to big to get quality ADSL.

Secondly, at those low prices you get a rush of people subscribing to TT&T services, and most Thai ISP's have a history of not keeping up with growth, so no guarantee on how speeds will be 2 months down the line.

TT&T had some problems a while ago when they doubled everyone's speed, driving most users nuts for a couple of weeks.

EXACTLY, Monty! I moved here in April of 2006, and have been hounding TT&T for a line ever since. They continue to display the amazing Thai total lack of business sense by not building a transmitter that will service the Wat Suttawat area (east end of Nernplubwarn), which is LOADED with expats who'd jump to them in a heartbeat! My only option, if I want reasonably dependable, high speed internet, is to continue to pay 2800 baht per month to CAT. (I've actually wondered if CAT is paying them 1/2 of their fee, which would mean they'd both make a profit. Then I remembered my earlier point. They're not smart enough to do that!)

I went to the TT&T office in Carrefour to try and get the service, I'm in Suwattana Garden which is probably around the halfway point of Soi Nernplubwaan.

When I asked about availability of their service it was as though I'd told the funniest joke you ever heard, lots of laughing and "no hab" so i asked when hab the reply was "maybe 1 month maybe 1 year" I walked out and don't think I will be back. What a way to run a business.

Thorughly fed up with TOT constant dropping in and out for the last few weeks, think I will have to drop by CAT and see if they have service available. Currently paying 2700 b for 1M/512k with TOT and it seems I can get double the bandwidth with CAT at a similair price.