Sizzler Restaurant Review--avoid!

gguy

As my g/f says - Falang <deleted> !

I think I'll take the noodle stall anyday.

Classy girl.

Nothing worse than a narrow-minded Thai who declares that all Western food is <deleted>, despite never having tasted it all.

Yeah, but she's right about Sizzler.

Classy girl.

Nothing worse than a narrow-minded Thai who declares that all Western food is <deleted>, despite never having tasted it all.

For 300 odd baht i'd say, it is what it is. What are people expecting? Fine cuisine?!

I think Sizzlers were all the rage in Australia in the 70s or 80s....not sure they exist in Oz anymore.

They are not my style for food but Pattaya has a bit of everything. 300 baht is not really expensive if you get value for money but like everything else you have to get value for money.

The best value for food in Thailand is the seafood....fresh and reasonably priced....

I think I am right in saying that if Sizzler did not offer an 'all you can eat' salad buffet then it would not hold the same attraction.

The new Sizzler at the Central Festival Centre on Beach Road has a queue outside at weekends.

When I pressed my eyes and nose against the window and observed the diners, they all looked like greedy types, many eating like pigs with their hands, and with food caked all over their face and food debris scattered across the table.

I will give the place a miss.

:o A wonderfully lurid description that makes me want to jump on a plane just to eat there!

I think I am right in saying that if Sizzler did not offer an 'all you can eat' salad buffet then it would not hold the same attraction.

The new Sizzler at the Central Festival Centre on Beach Road has a queue outside at weekends.

When I pressed my eyes and nose against the window and observed the diners, they all looked like greedy types, many eating like pigs with their hands, and with food caked all over their face and food debris scattered across the table.

I will give the place a miss.

:o A wonderfully lurid description that makes me want to jump on a plane just to eat there!

You hear Russian spoken at almost every table in the RGP Sizzler nowadays.

Although my 11-year-old daughter likes it I take the family there as seldom as possible. The prices have risen over the past few years and the quality has gone down in almost direct counterpoint.

The only fast food place I can tolerate (in Saudi and UAE) is Fudruckers. Don't know if this is a really international chain or not. That's the only two countries I have come across them.

Don't even recommend Harry Ramsden's now that it's left t'North country.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Jingthing' date='2009-02-28 13:11:48' post='2564515

MSG intolerance is very overstated. Many people who THINK they react to it badly are suffering from a psychological hysteria due to false publicity about the substance. It is very safe and very few people actually need to avoid it. I was surprised too about this. A friend of mine told me the Food Detective food network show did a segment on this also showing nothing really wrong with eating MSG.

Exactly! It does no harm and it makes things taste better.

I think Sizzlers were all the rage in Australia in the 70s or 80s....not sure they exist in Oz anymore.

The first Sizzler in Australia started up in July 1985 in Brisbane. They really took off in the early 90's and they're still going strong, but mainly in Queensland. There's only 3 restaurants in NSW and 5 in Western Australia, but 18 in Queensland. None in the other states.

I often enjoyed a meal in an Ozzie Sizzler. Can't say the same about Pattaya's Sizzler.

Edited by tropo

Classy girl.

I say the exact same thing about Thai food for the simple reason i just dont like it or the look of it, im sure you need a bit more info about his gf before degrading her so freely for her food preferences.

What is it with you food snobs, why do you get so worked up with us people who "Know what we like"?

Classy girl.

I say the exact same thing about Thai food for the simple reason i just dont like it or the look of it, im sure you need a bit more info about his gf before degrading her so freely for her food preferences.

What is it with you food snobs, why do you get so worked up with us people who "Know what we like"?

It's not about being a food snob it's about respecting other people's taste. There's some Thai food i don't like but would i turn around to a Thai person and say "this food is <deleted>"? No i wouldn't because to say that would be rudely passing judgement on someone else's taste. Just because i don't like it doesn't automatically make it <deleted> - to think so would be arrogant.

And passing judgement on something you aren't even willing to try goes beyond arrogance. It's narrow-minded and stupid.

Classy girl.

For 300 odd baht i'd say, it is what it is. What are people expecting? Fine cuisine?!

If you want to waste your money at Sizzlers thats your problem but there are plenty of restaurants in the Pattaya area that serve fine cuisine for 300 baht - Cherrys and Chez Georges for starters.

Classy girl.

If you want to waste your money at Sizzlers thats your problem but there are plenty of restaurants in the Pattaya area that serve fine cuisine for 300 baht - Cherrys and Chez Georges for starters.

For 6 quid, or 300 baht, it's perfectly possible to get good food yes, but fine cuisine? For me no, but i guess it all depends how you define the word.

The quality of the food at other establishments might be better than Sizzlers, but then they probably don't have an all you can eat salad bar. Horses for courses.

Classy girl.

It's not about being a food snob it's about respecting other people's taste. There's some Thai food i don't like but would i turn around to a Thai person and say "this food is <deleted>"? No i wouldn't because to say that would be rudely passing judgement on someone else's taste. Just because i don't like it doesn't automatically make it <deleted> - to think so would be arrogant.

And passing judgement on something you aren't even willing to try goes beyond arrogance. It's narrow-minded and stupid.

When i say such a thing it is said in jest like manner as im sure it is when this gf says it, i dont care less what people other people eat or what it tasted like for them, its not arrogance or narrowed minded not to have an overly varied palate but just they way i and many people like me are.

I once met a scraggy backpacker near Krabi who got all angry with me for no other reason then i would only eat western food, my food bill was about 5 times this individuals (which i pointed out) so for the business owner i am the customer theyd choose over someone who thinks theyre great by eating cheap Thai food.

sizzlers salad bar buffet cant be beat and as much coke ,fanta as you want 140 baht .you cant go wrong for that.if you dont like there go to somewhere like manhattan in jomtien where staek main course goes up to 3000 baht

Sizzler was popular in the US in the 1960's back in the bad old days of American food culture. It is retrograde. It isn't a place to dine, it is a place to feed. Oink. Oink.

I hope you guys don't get nose bleeds from hanging out at such lofty heights. And thank god that making idiotic statements doesn't make you an idiot, it just means you made a mistake. Thanks for illustrating so clearly the nasty side of Thaivisa.

As many have said in this thread, the salad bar at 149 baht is good for those who love salads. They have, for example, blue cheese dressing, balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese, beets, and a variety of halfway decent pre-made salads, including pasta salad with shrimp. The other food on the menu is indeed spotty--I haven't tried everything, but what I have tried had a hit and miss ratio far too high for me to keep sampling, so now it's the salad bar and out the door.

sizzlers salad bar buffet cant be beat and as much coke ,fanta as you want 140 baht .you cant go wrong for that.if you dont like there go to somewhere like manhattan in jomtien where staek main course goes up to 3000 baht

Is it possible to go into Sizzlers and just opt for salad and gorge out on that only. Because I have a suspicion that some people do this, and obtain protein from the mini eggs and kidney beans and carbohydrates from potatoes etc.

Is it possible to go into Sizzlers and just opt for salad and gorge out on that only. Because I have a suspicion that some people do this, and obtain protein from the mini eggs and kidney beans and carbohydrates from potatoes etc.

syd ive seen several do what you say ,i paid particular attention to one man he goes every evening ,he ate 2 bowles of chicken mushroom soup ,one large plate of pasta with garlic topping , 2 pints of coke , full plate of salad , full plate of fruit and 2 mouse deserts to finish it off , not bad for 149 baht .. and this man is not alone.im not a big fan of salads but the salad you can get in there is very good ,the selection is huge and fresh.........

syd ive seen several do what you say ,i paid particular attention to one man he goes every evening ,he ate 2 bowles of chicken mushroom soup ,one large plate of pasta with garlic topping , 2 pints of coke , full plate of salad , full plate of fruit and 2 mouse deserts to finish it off , not bad for 149 baht .. and this man is not alone.im not a big fan of salads but the salad you can get in there is very good ,the selection is huge and fresh.........

Yes, I suspected that some people do this on a daily basis. I see similar behaviour in Apex breakfast buffet and Diana dinner restaurant.

I always commend value seeking in Pattaya when it comes down to food and beer.

thanks for the feedback! :o

Coke is not included in the price of the salad bar.

Coke is not included in the price of the salad bar.

42 baht for top up drink .as many as you want.i think salad bar and drink together comes to 160or less

42 baht for top up drink .as many as you want.i think salad bar and drink together comes to 160or less

Salad bar is 149. They used to have it on special (as low as 99 baht), but no more. I'm not sure about the price of the top-up drink, but a water is 25 or 30 baht.