Thailand Road Safety Campaign

Boater

Hey

I now this would probably never happen here, but what do you think the outcome of a proper Road Safety Campaign would help the countries millions of terrible and unsafe drivers.

I found this video of a campaign in england to advise drivers not to speed and stupidly overtake ( happens all to often in thailand )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5q_YYpxB0

well i think that is the issue, there is no proper driving test here, as in the UK ( correct me is i am wrong ) you have to have a Min amount of lessons ( around 20 ) and also take a theory test and driving test, and none of this comes cheap, maybe 500 pounds or 30,000 THB!!, also if you make 1 or 2 simple mistakes in your driving test you FAIL unlike here in Thailand, as when i took my Thai Driving Test, i would say only 10% of the people should have past

No, I don't think the Thais would get it. If they haven’t put two and two together so far and figured out why there are so many accidents and why so many people are killed or maimed then I don't think they ever will.

A very effective advertisement for those with logic though.

You could just remove the "road" bit??

It's hard to get anything going in Thailand. They make their own lanes here. I usually ride the bus and I alway see the motorcycles cut in front of the bus. Safety are not their first priority.

If you notice ALL the "crazy" drivers of the world are located only in countries where the police force (legal mafia) is corrupt. Stop police corruption and they start enforcing laws and driving becomes safer. Educating...for what?

When was the last time education helped stop some of the more severe problems in LOS? Sounds like someone is going to get their pockets padded by a campaign they thought of inventing (why didn't I think of it)?

Uncle owns a sign company, politician tries to think of ways to filter money to the uncle and kickbacks through the family, etc. Same same? :o

While I was waiting for a cab 3 weeks ago, I saw a motorcycle accident...ran out to scoop the girl off the road and drag the motorcycle, see if they needed medical care. 3 minutes and they were on their way again. I look up to see another motorcycle T bone a car (having seen two accidents earlier that month same place).

No one obeys laws because no one enforces laws because the mafia (police) isn't interested in enforcing liek they do in the US, Aus, USA, etc. Corruption is the cornerstone of just about every single one of Thailand's problems.

A friend made the comment that the only reason road safety is an issue in the UK is due to the NHS(National Health Service). Safety campaigns were and are prominent in order to reduce the number of accidents and therefore reduce the burden and cost to the NHS. His comment was that if it didn’t save the government money in the UK then they probably would not be so active in road safety either. I am not sure if he is right, but it does make sense. In Thailand there is no money to be made by anyone from implementing a road safety campaign, and I am guessing no money to be saved, so where’s the incentive.

A number of years ago I saw on my travels across the country two indications of the local Thai government offices taking direct action to educate the people with regard to road safety awareness:

On one very notorious section of dangerous mountain road, in a clearing at the top, was a large metal framework construction that had mounted on top of it a car that had been destroyed in an accident there as a reminder to all who passed. It was there for a year or so - I think that was about three years ago I last saw it, gone now.

In a typical upcountry small city at the main junction in the center of the main traffic signals was a white frame some six or seven metres tall. This was divided into sections and in Thai script listed all the data of fatal, serious and other types of traffic accident that had occured within the city limits that month and the year to date. Not sure if I have been through that place since as I can't remember exactly where it was. (Probably Hwy 1 or 2?)

Oh silly me!

Here I was thinking that all of these accidents here were about "risk taking" when obviously, this is all about "education".

It may be interesting to note that many road accidents in the western world are had by adolescents...particularly male adolescents. It also may be interesting to note that all of the education under the sun has hardly affected the statistics regarding this age group (risk takers).

And why is it that so many people in western countries complain about the bad driving habits of Asians, given the fact that many Asians have been living in western countries for quite a while? If you need proof, go to Sydney...observe what drivers do what & to whom.

Catch a cab in Sydney. If the cabby has all manner of adornments hanging from the rear view mirror, ask him/her "why?" The answer will be something like this, "These are 'good luck' charms. If I have them in my cab, I will be protected against accidents." After having said this, they then proceed to drive without a care in the world. They seem oblivious to the horns honked at them because they are a road menace.

It doesn't seem to occur to these people that driving ability is what primarily protects you from accidents (ie other idiots). Why doesn't this simple logic occur to these people because in Australia, the driving test is "real". Do they "throw the rules out of the window & replace them with a god" upon completion of such a test?

Methinks this has little to do education & more to do with culture/religion & the way someone thinks (or does not think) etc.

A friend made the comment that the only reason road safety is an issue in the UK is due to the NHS(National Health Service). Safety campaigns were and are prominent in order to reduce the number of accidents and therefore reduce the burden and cost to the NHS. His comment was that if it didn't save the government money in the UK then they probably would not be so active in road safety either. I am not sure if he is right, but it does make sense. In Thailand there is no money to be made by anyone from implementing a road safety campaign, and I am guessing no money to be saved, so where's the incentive.

Sounds about right. I have given this subject a great deal of thought over the years - i think your friend has half of the answer. If the powers wanted to enforce road safety issues they could be 99% successful in a very short time. However, if implimented, as well as having a negative affect on hospitals income, where would the police make there extra income/

well i think that is the issue, there is no proper driving test here, as in the UK ( correct me is i am wrong ) you have to have a Min amount of lessons ( around 20 ) and also take a theory test and driving test, and none of this comes cheap, maybe 500 pounds or 30,000 THB!!, also if you make 1 or 2 simple mistakes in your driving test you FAIL unlike here in Thailand, as when i took my Thai Driving Test, i would say only 10% of the people should have past

Correction, you're wrong, there is a driving test here (I won't say proper BUT it is the same driving test that I took in Dubai) which requires you to follow the rules of the road (albeit around a car park, as in Dubai).

But it's when you get your license that the problems occur 'cos the chances of enforcement of the law are minimal or open to corruption.

I thnk a better driving cultute will only come from a better enforcement culture,

No one obeys laws because no one enforces laws because the mafia (police) isn't interested in enforcing liek they do in the US, Aus, USA, etc. Corruption is the cornerstone of just about every single one of Thailand's problems.

They now average 42,000 Deaths a year on US roads that are well maintained and heavily policed, 70% of fatalities are alcohol related.

Imagine the carnage if USA had poorly maintained roads and a corrupt Police force. :D

Thank christ I'm in Thailand. :o

Edited by Maigo6

I was "pulled up" (stopped) by the police in Amstralia, oops... Ausmerica, oops...Australia, many years ago (about 1983). I was stopped for a "random breath test". I was travelling from my friends' house to my house & back again, to get some videos (a 3km journey). I had not been drinking at all.

On the first "stoppage", the police officer said to me, "Sir, this is a random breath test. Please breath normally into the device. Are you also aware that you are not wearing a seat belt?"

My reply was, "Yes. I am aware that I'm not wearing a seatbelt."

Police: "Are you aware that it is against the law to not wear a seat belt?"

Me: "Yes, I am but what has this got to do with anything?"

Police: "Are you aware that road traffic accidents cost the country lots of money?"

Me: "Are you aware that you & I have no possible way of determining how we die? Are you also aware that people die everyday from things that cost the country lots of money?"

Police: "By obeying road rules, you reduce the risk of accidents."

Me: "Sure but you still have no way of determining how I will die...& why should you care? You don't even know me."

Police: "The road toll in Australia costs a lot of money for the taxpayers."

Me: "I'm a tax payer. Why can't I decide how I wish to die?"

Police: "The high road toll each year costs Australian taxpayers lots of money."

Me: "What about the smoking & drinking toll, from which the government makes millions?"

Police: "Piss off before I book you."

Obviously, a "thinking" police officer. Actually, he pulled me up on the way back to my friends' place. I was not wearing a seatbelt at that time also. Again, he told me to "piss off".

I do not think that there should be any law requiring the use of helmets (for motorcycles) or seatbelts. These decisions should be left up to the individual since by breaking these rules, no harm shall come to others

EDIT.

I can hardly wait to hear all the comments about "caring"

EDIT 2.

Was this the "right" or "left" side of my brain thinking at these times? (Smartarse comments will be ignored).

Edited by elkangorito

I do not think that there should be any law requiring the use of helmets (for motorcycles) or seatbelts

[\quote]

OK fine - and if you have an accident and suffer injuries due to not wearing a crash helmet or seatbelt, you should have to foot the hospital bill yourself. sounds ok? Also, how about paying the bill of the police and medical staff who have to scrape you off the road?

Simon

I find it amusing when farangs take a superior attitude toward the poor road safety record in Thailand. As though we individually were responsible for the lower accident rates back in our corner of farangland. Hmm... Could it possibly be that decades of campaigns promoting safe driving habits paid for by the rich governments in the West had any effect? I remember, "Buckle Up for Safey", "Don't Drink and Drive" among others being driven relentlessly into my brain by paid advertisements. As well as free driver-ed classes in high school. And the result of all fhis taxpayer funding for safety is that I thought of it all by myself?

Rather than a sympton of the moral superiority of us farangs, road safety turns out to be just another luxury common in rich countries. You know, like lower air pollution.

I find it amusing when farangs take a superior attitude toward the poor road safety record in Thailand. As though we individually were responsible for the lower accident rates back in our corner of farangland. Hmm... Could it possibly be that decades of campaigns promoting safe driving habits paid for by the rich governments in the West had any effect? I remember, "Buckle Up for Safey", "Don't Drink and Drive" among others being driven relentlessly into my brain by paid advertisements. As well as free driver-ed classes in high school. And the result of all fhis taxpayer funding for safety is that I thought of it all by myself?

Rather than a sympton of the moral superiority of us farangs, road safety turns out to be just another luxury common in rich countries. You know, like lower air pollution.

I also find it amusing every time I narrowly avoid hitting schoolchildren 3-up on a little 2-stroke motorcycle in the morning on my way to work. Or every time I pass a less fortunate rider in the middle of the road with his brains all over the other carriageway.

Any sort of values system or road safety awareness here would be a tremendous bonus to Thailand itself, and not to any individuals smug sense of "superiority". I work with people who are very clued up and strict on safety at work, and who are directly responsible for the safety of others during their working shift; and yet drive like utter maniacs to and from the workplace.

hel_l-ooooo???

Just as well that it isnt illeagal to drive with your head up your ar-se here in Thailand otherwise you would be continualy booked :o

Things I have observed while driving in the sticks, or at least out of town.

1 Riding motorcycles without crash helmit.

2 While waiting to turn right at a T-junction, waiting for car coming from the left and signaling to turn right, have that car cut the corner so it passed behind me.

That's just the police. Road safety my arse.

It has nothing to do with their terrible driving habits....it is just bad luck when a wreck happens.

I agree and they are all avoidable. Problem is not enough people consult their fortune tellers before setting off.