Two Tier/ Dual Pricing Registry

shepsel

I don’t think this has got anything to do with being a Farnago. I remember the first time I encountered the dual pricing system (at some old temple or other) getting all stroppy and interrogating the luckless ticket seller: “So would I have to pay the higher price if I were Chinese, Vietnamese, Myanmarian…and what if I were Albanian, Kazakhstanian, Trinidadian and Tobogan…” “Chai” she said, cheerfully, to each one in turn.

So I conclude that the Thai tax payers support these places so deserve a reduction. I pay my tax in Singapore which is billions of THB cheaper than in LOS. So do I care about paying a few extra baht at temples? Nah, not so much.

However it will be interesting to see what happens when the second generation Eurasians (who may look more Honky than they do Mongoloid but never the less are Thai Nationals) start trying to muscle their way into temples at the Thai price.

So using your second paragraph for arguement sake, since I pay my taxes here.......

However it will be interesting to see what happens when the second generation Eurasians (who may look more Honky than they do Mongoloid but never the less are Thai Nationals) start trying to muscle their way into temples at the Thai price.

As a honky looking luuk krung with a Thai passport I have no problem whatsoever. Very rarely even have to show my ID, usually I just open my mouth and I get the local price. My daughter with blond hair and blue eyes and Irish white skin gets the local price simply based on my assertion that she is a Thai national...but we carry her passport along sometimes jsut in case. My wife, also blond and white gets the thai price. I simply say she is a resident, but if they ask she has her Thai DL and her yellow tabieen baan handy. But to be honest, asking for something in Thai usually guarantees the thai price.

One of two of you may remember I used to run just such a website 'FairpriceThailand.org' - I had to give it up after three or four years because I just didn't have the time to maintain the site and the only offer of someone to take over was someone who wanted to use it for commercial reasons.

Anyhow, it was an instructive exercise:

Successes: We had quite a few, the best I think was it started a discussion which reached the national and international press (An article in the Herald Tribute non the less) A handful of hotels dropped dual pricing as did a few businesses (One I note has since reintroduced dual pricing).

More interesting I think was the mail bag - Emails of support where common, and we had some deeply thought out views by people who felt this issue negatively impacted the integration of their mixed race children in to Thailand. The most memorable from a guy who was deeply upset when is mixed race child was charged Bht100 to enter a National Park because the child was not Thai so couldn't get the Thai price (Bht20) and was not Farang so ought not to be charged the Farang Price (Bht200).

As he pointed out, this is direct discrimination and he was deeply concerned over the impact this was having on his child.

I also had emails from Thais complaining about Thais being excluded (and we listed those too) but they where by no means whole scale as implied above.

By far the biggest bunch of emails was from Farangs who objected to the website - and yes as you might expect 'If you don't like it go home' (and varying degrees of expressiveness on that theme). These same people would also populate the website's comments data base with similar statements and cleaning out repeated abusive posts from Farangs was by far the most time consuming task. The rants I used to get from some of these guys really made me wonder if they needed help or not, the term 'unbalanced' often came to mind.

That is not to be flippant on the subject of Psychology, I've come to the conclusion that Psychology is at the heart of this issue where foreigners living in a country (not just Thailand) make such strong objections to anyone challenging laws/rules/customs that are clearly detrimental to foreigners. It's as if they seem to believe that by supporting the laws/rules/customs that act against themselves they are claiming to be more deserving of being accepted into their new country.

It's very curious, I almost wish I was a psychologist, I think if I where I'd study this phenomena.

TV might even provide some interesting 'Case Studies'.

This thread is starting to get interesting.

Dual pricing exists the world over and normally we just accept it. However when it seems to get mixed up with race, many people, quite rightly, find it offensive.

For example when I lived in London I had a monthly travel card that made public transport affordable. However last time I was there, as a tourist, I observed I was having to pay insane amounts of money to go one stop on the underground ( 5GBP – about 320 THB).

The point is that London Underground would not be insensitive or stupid enough to advertise lower prices for Caucasians or UK Nationals. Apart from anything else it would be illegal. But they are able to charge foreigners or tourists more for using the services.

Thailand is not as multi-cultural as say the UK, France or the US and so is just starting to have to face these issues. They are at the start of the learning curve.

National Parks have never ever had a different price for farangs and Thais. They do on occasion charge foreigners more than Thai nationals.

This is not true. You have obviously never been to a NP in Thailand. At both entrances to Khao Yai NP they have a sign that clearly states the hight farang price and the cheaper Thai price.

National Parks have never ever had a different price for farangs and Thais. They do on occasion charge foreigners more than Thai nationals.

This is not true. You have obviously never been to a NP in Thailand. At both entrances to Khao Yai NP they have a sign that clearly states the hight farang price and the cheaper Thai price.

Please don't feed the troll. :o

The guy who spent 15 minutes last night investigating my windscreen washer bottle leak, and then spent an hour this morning fixing it.

Cheeky b*gger wanted 50 baht! :o

I gave him 100. :D

And next time he will ask for at least 100 Baht. Its people like you that encourage Thais to charge us more...

You have posted what I have posted in the past about such events :D . But in this case, giving him 100 baht for lying in the road,getting dirty and fixing the leak was still an embarrassingly small sum.

It also guarantees him that I will return for more work.

P.S. The reason I went to him this time was because he had previously replaced my passenger door window motor for a ridiculously low price - probably 20% of what Toyota would have charged.

Maybe they should also charge a foreigners tax on top of dual pricing. Plus a monthly fee for being in the country
Super Don you show me one place in Australia where it says, Atmittance for Australians

10 dollars and admittance for foreigners 20 dollars it is against the law and you know that so stop talking rubbish

Perhaps The Don gets his DiL to pay for him... The Thai price is of course available when it's a Thai who is paying.... He might not even get charged the full Adult Price...

Edited by GuestHouse

This thread is starting to get interesting.

Dual pricing exists the world over and normally we just accept it. However when it seems to get mixed up with race, many people, quite rightly, find it offensive.

For example when I lived in London I had a monthly travel card that made public transport affordable. However last time I was there, as a tourist, I observed I was having to pay insane amounts of money to go one stop on the underground ( 5GBP – about 320 THB).

The point is that London Underground would not be insensitive or stupid enough to advertise lower prices for Caucasians or UK Nationals. Apart from anything else it would be illegal. But they are able to charge foreigners or tourists more for using the services.

Thailand is not as multi-cultural as say the UK, France or the US and so is just starting to have to face these issues. They are at the start of the learning curve.

HI

You purchased a monthly ticket that made public transort affordable, ( but you fail to say what the daily ticket price was!) the same ticket was available to everyone irrespective of race.

Later when you purchased a daily ticket you paid the same price for a daily ticket as anyone else, not sure what this has to do with dual pricing in LOS........

roy gsd

Please don't feed the troll. :o

Wrong again! Look closely and you will see they are asking a lower price for Thai nationals and a higher price for non-Thai nationals. No mention of farang!

Correct.

I read thai script very well and have NEVER seen the term "farang" on a pricing sign. I have seen the terms "foreigner" and "tourist" many times however.

Perhaps the word Farang comes up because that term encompasses the vast majority of ThaiVisa members.

It might also be worth noting that, for example, when we visited Kho Samet with a group of Singaporean staff the park ticket off staff counted all the asians in the vehicle as Thais (without asking) and counted all Europeans as foreigners without asking.

The term Farang therefore, while not explicitly stated anywhere on the notice boards would seem to be the distinction that is so easily drawn and fitting to the members here in TV

Perhaps the word Farang comes up because that term encompasses the vast majority of ThaiVisa members.

It might also be worth noting that, for example, when we visited Kho Samet with a group of Singaporean staff the park ticket off staff counted all the asians in the vehicle as Thais (without asking) and counted all Europeans as foreigners without asking.

The term Farang therefore, while not explicitly stated anywhere on the notice boards would seem to be the distinction that is so easily drawn and fitting to the members here in TV

I've seen busloads of Japanese entering Parks and they were treated as non-Thai nationals. As many on TV have testified so far, farangs will not be charged the non-Thai price in the majority of cases if they speak a few words of Thai, have a Thai drivers license and smile. It is this last requirement to smile that is a bit unfair for the farang, many have inherited an inablilty to smile from their European ancestors and have not yet undertaken the long road to personal happiness and enjoyment of life.

As many on TV have testified so far, farangs will not be charged the non-Thai price in the majority of cases if they speak a few words of Thai, have a Thai drivers license and smile. It is this last requirement to smile that is a bit unfair for the farang, many have inherited an inablilty to smile from their European ancestors and have not yet undertaken the long road to personal happiness and enjoyment of life.

Actually this has not been my experience in living here for 7 years, holding a work permit the entire time, holding a Thai driver's license for the last 3 years, speaking Thai well enough to get by easily, and of course smiling. At national parks I get the taxpayers price about 20% of the time. And I do pay roughly 100,000 bt in taxes to the Thai government annually.

The higher prices have never stopped me or my family from entering any National Park or other entertainment venue, but they are grating.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I've seen busloads of Japanese entering Parks and they were treated as non-Thai nationals. As many on TV have testified so far, farangs will not be charged the non-Thai price in the majority of cases if they speak a few words of Thai, have a Thai drivers license and smile. It is this last requirement to smile that is a bit unfair for the farang, many have inherited an inablilty to smile from their European ancestors and have not yet undertaken the long road to personal happiness and enjoyment of life.

You know full that the thread is about the pricing difference between Thai and non-Thai, whether posters choose to call non-Thai,s as farang ,Westerners or whatever is of little consequence in the context of the thread, so cease with the trolling.

The Viengtai Hotel near Khao Sarn Road. My t/g rang and got the rates: Thai people 1200 baht, non Thai 2200 baht. Big difference

Faranglandoz :o

I very much doubt this post. I used to stay at the Viengtai A LOT until they started poncing it up and charging much higher prices. When I first started staying there it was 800 THB and then did indeed go up to 2200 to 2400 to pay for the paint and so I stopped going. But in my experience of the whole of Banglamphu, Thais a pretty much discouraged staying at any hotel or guesthouse in Banglamphu and I wouldn't have thought the 'best' hotel there would give a lower price for a Thai. Anyone can show any documentation. There's an awful lot of crap talked on this forum.

You know full that the thread is about the pricing difference between Thai and non-Thai, whether posters choose to call non-Thai,s as farang ,Westerners or whatever is of little consequence in the context of the thread, so cease with the trolling.

It is hereby agreed by all TV members that anyone who has an opinion different from Ozzydom is a troll! .....NOT!