Converting Conduct Water To Drinking Water

coalminer

I'm thinking to install one of these installations (water filters) that are on sale at the major superstores and which claim to convert conduct water to drinking water.

I have heard many stories about the drinking water sellers who are filling their bottles with water from the same installations as these. But I have my doubt about the quality of the water for consumption.

Has anybody installed such a water filter for the consumption of water at their home?

What is the cost of a full installation and what is the cost of 1 liter water (maintenance, etc) compared to drinking water from a company?

TIA

PS.: I live upcountry

I'm thinking to install one of these installations (water filters) that are on sale at the major superstores and which claim to convert conduct water to drinking water.

I have heard many stories about the drinking water sellers who are filling their bottles with water from the same installations as these. But I have my doubt about the quality of the water for consumption.

Has anybody installed such a water filter for the consumption of water at their home?

What is the cost of a full installation and what is the cost of 1 liter water (maintenance, etc) compared to drinking water from a company?

TIA

PS.: I live upcountry

What is conduct water?

Khonwan

I wonder if the OP means CONDUIT water, referring to water that would flow from a roof or similar stucture and come down through some PVC piping or something like that.

CONDUIT: a natural or artificial channel through which something (as a fluid) is conveyed.

Edited by Beacher

I guess the OP refers to a filter system hooked up to the normal city water system to turn your tap water to drinking water.

A ball park cost would be 15,000Baht installation and around 2000Baht per year in filters.

Edited by ZZZ

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Stick with commercially available drinking water supplied in sealed containers. These companies have the apparatus to make thousands of gallons of drinking water, for your consumption at a very reasonable price.

Stick with commercially available drinking water supplied in sealed containers. These companies have the apparatus to make thousands of gallons of drinking water, for your consumption at a very reasonable price.

here here, seems a lot of trouble to go to when sealed bottles & the bigger vessels are easily available for a few Bht.....even up country.

here here, seems a lot of trouble to go to when sealed bottles & the bigger vessels are easily available for a few Bht.....even up country.

A lot of trouble :o

All you do is buy the system and have someone install it, if you can't do it you self, then end of trouble (except for yearly filter change).

Once it's installed all you have to do is open the tap and you have drinking water. If you have a fridge with ice and cold water dispenser you can pipe it in there as well for clean ice and cold drinking water. No trouble.

Trouble is to have to make sure you always have drinking water at home, carting it back from the super market or having to make sure you are at home when deliveries are due. Other troubles are having to buy ice, store bottles, and decanting from the big bottles to smaller for storage in fridge.

Yes, it is relatively expensive but definitely much less trouble than relying on bottled water :D

I guess the OP refers to a filter system hooked up to the normal city water system to turn your tap water to drinking water.

A ball park cost would be 15,000Baht installation and around 2000Baht per year in filters.

This is exactly what I'm referring to.

Thanks ZZZ

I have seen water filters (purifiers) ranging from 6,000 Baht to 20,000 Baht and more.

Which installation would be sufficient for a normal household (3 persons)?

Do you have a picture of the 15,000 Baht installation?

Does the filters need to be exchanged only once a year or is there a limit on the water flow trough the filters?

Also, the installation I have seen need to be supplied with a kind of "stones".

Is this necessary to get a good cleaning of the city water?

TIA

A lot of trouble :o

All you do is buy the system and have someone install it, if you can't do it you self, then end of trouble (except for yearly filter change).

Once it's installed all you have to do is open the tap and you have drinking water. If you have a fridge with ice and cold water dispenser you can pipe it in there as well for clean ice and cold drinking water. No trouble.

Trouble is to have to make sure you always have drinking water at home, carting it back from the super market or having to make sure you are at home when deliveries are due. Other troubles are having to buy ice, store bottles, and decanting from the big bottles to smaller for storage in fridge.

Yes, it is relatively expensive but definitely much less trouble than relying on bottled water :D

Exactly ZZZ.

Once installed, the only trouble is to open is open the tap and drink fresh water.

Many people in my neighborhood, even foreigners, have installed such a water filter (purifier) after being fed up with the irregularity of the supply by water vendors.

The price of the installation is a cost which needs to be done only once and is easily nullified in one year.

Only the cost of the maintenance is an unknown factor to me (filters, etc)

I’ve installed three of these (costing around Bt6,000) over the years in Bkk and upcountry. The first chamber contains activated-charcoal, the second contains resin. I have a third chamber that contains a fine-filter cartridge, but I do not use this since it too quickly clogs, slowing the water flow to a trickle. Two chambers are sufficient in my experience.

The two main cylindrical chambers are 5” diameter x16”.

Installation is a very easy DIY job.

They are supposed to be back-flushed regularly (by reversing the opening/shutting of the valves) and the filter materials are supposed to be replaced annually, but…I’ve been running one at my farm house for 12 years, every day with a family of four, without doing either of these and have never suffered any problems at all. The flow rate is still excellent and the water fresh tasting. My water here is rainwater from my roof.

This is exactly what I'm referring to.

Thanks ZZZ

I have seen water filters (purifiers) ranging from 6,000 Baht to 20,000 Baht and more.

Which installation would be sufficient for a normal household (3 persons)?

Do you have a picture of the 15,000 Baht installation?

Does the filters need to be exchanged only once a year or is there a limit on the water flow trough the filters?

Also, the installation I have seen need to be supplied with a kind of "stones".

Is this necessary to get a good cleaning of the city water?

TIA

A typical RO system for about 15,000Baht would look like this and would be good enough for a normal household.

post-7221-1218194747_thumb.png

I have 4 filters plus the RO membrane on my unit and change the first filter, the particle filter, every 6 months or so. This filter is in a clear container so you can see when it gets really dirty. The other filters are changed once a year and the RO membrane can last 2-5 years depending on water quality in your area. All filters are easy to change by your self.

The filter will always keep the holding bottle filled automatically so there will always be water there when you need it. If you need a lot of water, like 10 liters, it will take a while as these filters are very slow but there are always about 3-4 liters in the holding bottle, ready for use, so I have never had any problems with this.

Not sure what the "stones" are but they are not required for this type of filter, probably for a sand sediment filter.

I've installed three of these (costing around Bt6,000) over the years in Bkk and upcountry. The first chamber contains activated-charcoal, the second contains resin. I have a third chamber that contains a fine-filter cartridge, but I do not use this since it too quickly clogs, slowing the water flow to a trickle. Two chambers are sufficient in my experience.

The two main cylindrical chambers are 5" diameter x16".

Installation is a very easy DIY job.

They are supposed to be back-flushed regularly (by reversing the opening/shutting of the valves) and the filter materials are supposed to be replaced annually, but…I've been running one at my farm house for 12 years, every day with a family of four, without doing either of these and have never suffered any problems at all. The flow rate is still excellent and the water fresh tasting. My water here is rainwater from my roof.

Personally I would add either, or also, a UV filter and RO especially if you are drinking rainwater--you may not have got sick from parasites, and since you haven't bothered to backwash as well--I'm pretty amazed. These days the whole shebang is max. 5-6k baht--I have seen offers in Homepro, and so on, for a few thousand [3-4K baht]

As stated all the elements wear out in either 1 or 2 years and need replacing--really, to convert or not, price comparison against bottled depends on how much water your house drinks per week/month.

The price of the installation is a cost which needs to be done only once and is easily nullified in one year.

you haven't done your homework Coalminer. check prices of water delivered or purchased in supermarkets.

you haven't done your homework Coalminer. check prices of water delivered or purchased in supermarkets.

If you buy a system for 15,000Baht, change filters for 2000Baht per year, write off the system over 5 years and use 5 liters of drinking water per day your cost per liter is less than 3Baht, plus you don't have all the problems you have with bottled water :o

Edited by ZZZ

If you buy a system for 15,000Baht, change filters for 2000Baht per year, write off the system over 5 years and use 5 liters of drinking water per day your cost per liter is less than 3Baht, plus you don't have all the problems you have with bottled water :o

Thanks again ZZZ.

I had made my calculation on a 6.000 Baht system (the system with the 3 filters on the picture at The Mall) and a water consumption of minimum 10 liters per day.

Also thanks to Khonwan for his very detailed description.

Khonwan installed and has running 3 of these water filter (purifiers) in Bkk and upcountry for 12 years without problems. That and the detailed cost/benefit calculation from ZZZ helped me to make a conclusion and I will to go tomorrow to "The Mall" and order such a device (installation is free).

I have installed in my house 2 big water tanks (2,500 liter each) and a pump system for my water supply as city water is not reliable where I live. The city water is many times cut-out during the day, and many times we are without water for 3 or more days. The whole water supply is filtered at the tank by a decantation system and at the pump by a strainer. I intend to use this water system for the drinking water.

Thanks again for the very detailed descriptions.

A simple 3 filter system without a RO filter or UV will not clean the water from many things like bacteria and other impurities.

You need to have at least a UV system. RO gives the best result but is also the most expensive.

I've considered buying / installing one of these units for a while now. Is the filtered water 100% safe to drink? Bearing in mind that I live just outside the industrial area of Rayong and Maptaphut...? :D

The cost is not prohibitive, but the amount of rubbish generated by empty plastic bottles clogging up the bins is getting a bit much. :o

If you buy a system for 15,000Baht, change filters for 2000Baht per year, write off the system over 5 years and use 5 liters of drinking water per day your cost per liter is less than 3Baht, plus you don't have all the problems you have with bottled water :D

what problems pray tell? :o

I've considered buying / installing one of these units for a while now. Is the filtered water 100% safe to drink? Bearing in mind that I live just outside the industrial area of Rayong and Maptaphut...? :D

The cost is not prohibitive, but the amount of rubbish generated by empty plastic bottles clogging up the bins is getting a bit much. :o

If you want 100% safe, follow ZZZ's advice. Although, if you are only concerned about bacteria in the water, you can simply fill some small clear plastic bottles (from your tap, well, or wherever), typically used for soft drinks, and leave them in the sun for at least 6 hours. The UV direct from the sun will kill all bacteria. This is proven simple 'technology' which has been in use for around 25 years - suitable even for sewage contaminated water. You can then, of course, place them in your fridge.

If you want 100% safe, follow ZZZ's advice. Although, if you are only concerned about bacteria in the water, you can simply fill some small clear plastic bottles (from your tap, well, or wherever), typically used for soft drinks, and leave them in the sun for at least 6 hours. The UV direct from the sun will kill all bacteria. This is proven simple 'technology' which has been in use for around 25 years - suitable even for sewage contaminated water. You can then, of course, place them in your fridge.

It is a long time since I was in military service, but as far as I can remember, we were told by an officer during the military training that a few tablets of Chlorine dropped into a bottle or any available container with any available water would turn the water into a consumable fluid, free of germs.

Went today to "The Mall" (Home Pro) and purchased a Reverse Osmosis set.

Pretty much the same set as on the picture from ZZZ.

This system has 5 filters and an electric pump.

Column 1: Sediment filter (5 micron)

Column 2: Carbon filter (remove taste, odour, color, organic chemistry and chlorine)

Column 3: Ion exchange resin (treatong water hardness)

Column 4: RO membrane (0,0001 micron)

Column 5: post carbon filter

Flow rate: 190 liters per day

The whole set will be installed free of charge on Wednesday.

1 set of filters mounted on the system, and 1 additional set of filters free.

Price: 8,500 Baht.

Picture:

post-10254-1218381000_thumb.jpg

My parents have been using an Amway UV filter for cleaning tap water for drinking for a few years now. Costs about 6000 Baht a year for replacement bulbs and filter boxes.

We are using the same thing I assume "amway" anyway uv + filter, it has given us more than enough and then some drinking water, beeps when it needs a new filter yearly, haven't had any problems and the water is as good or even better than the delivered 5 gallon jugs we used to get. At least I can monitor whether or not the water is being filtered (or if I am for a few baht!)

This all about filter is interesting, but like to know where can I let do a analysis of my water. Preferably in or near Udon Thani. I used water from a drilled well an before I buy a filter, I like to know "what" the filter have to remove. I asked already in some shops, selling this filters. But the answers are from "don't know" to "this filter removed all "..... or offer of a testkit for swimming pool (what check pH and clorine).

If anybody know, thank you in advance for the information.

If you buy a system for 15,000Baht, change filters for 2000Baht per year, write off the system over 5 years and use 5 liters of drinking water per day your cost per liter is less than 3Baht, plus you don't have all the problems you have with bottled water :D

what problems pray tell? :o

As you can't see any troubles with this you probably have a wife taking care of this :D

The troubles I can see is to always having to make sure you have water at home, that extra trip to the supermarket just because you have run out of water is quite troublesome.

If you rely on small bottles you will have to carry a lot of extra weight every time you go shopping, depending of your mode of transport this can be very troublesome.

If you rely on big bottles you have to set up a delivery schedule and make sure you are at home when they deliver. You will probably have to decant into small bottles to keep in the fridge. It's a bit messy when you need water for cleaning fruits, vegetables and other things at the sink.

There are quite a few shop house operation making and delivering water of questionable standard using ill maintained equipment and non approved chemicals.

Bottled water leaves a big environmental footprint.

Just ask your wife if she would prefer to have drinking water on tap at the sink and cold drinking water and ice dispensed from the fridge without having to bother with anything, except for a yearly filter change.

This all about filter is interesting, but like to know where can I let do a analysis of my water. Preferably in or near Udon Thani. I used water from a drilled well an before I buy a filter, I like to know "what" the filter have to remove. I asked already in some shops, selling this filters. But the answers are from "don't know" to "this filter removed all "..... or offer of a testkit for swimming pool (what check pH and clorine).

If anybody know, thank you in advance for the information.

As I said, tomorrow the whole filter system will be installed at my home free of charge.

As soon as it is installed, I will take a sample of the filtered and unfiltered water and bring it to a lab at the hospital for analyze.

If anyone is interested, I will publish the results here.