Drop In Tourism Over Past 6 Months

whatsoever

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:o The TAT have announced a 30% drop in tourism over the past 6 months. Pattaya being the worst affected.

I personaly think the worst is yet to come. What do you think?

NB. Property developers and agents need not answer

That's tourism! It's no surprise.

Thailand has been relatively lucky over the years. Think of Bali with political upheaval and bombings. Thier problems have been continuous. Even the tsunami effect was limited and tourists have tolerated the political risks here relatively well.

Thailand cannot be immune from oil shocks and global downturn.

- apparent rise in violent crimes against tourists

- crazy price hikes in some situations like air travel and accomodation

- people drinking in Pattaya (and likely Bangkok) bars being lined up in the street and p*ss tested for drugs

- government push to bring only upscale tourism to a country that cut its tourism teeth with the backpacker type

and on and on and ....

Wonder why?

Edited by Beacher

:D The TAT have announced a 30% drop in tourism over the past 6 months. Pattaya being the worst affected.

Flights are now expensive so expect the trend to continue and people will take their vacation closer to home. :o

I guess their campaign of targeting ippun students as new tourist isnt working too well!

BTW when and where you saw that campaign? Or pure sense of inferiority made you post that rubbish?

i read it in either bkk post or the nation. i cant read thai papers they are in thai.

You think im clever enough to mkae this up.

Edited by imkoreanboy

:o The TAT have announced a 30% drop in tourism over the past 6 months. Pattaya being the worst affected.

3 weeks ago at the Emporium half the clientele were in burqa robes, the deli carries falafel, dolmas....turning towards Middle Easterners.

Bumrungrad has always been full of them.

Since discovery of Siam Park I stopped going to any other place, except, Singapore where I can have a ball at PanPacific 5* hotel, clean place and world class ammenities for less money than at Royal Cliff Resort in Pattaya.

Me, for 1 , would never pay a hotel again in Thailand - for 7000B a night I can have far far better time in Malaysia or Singapore.

Yes, holidaying in Singapore, what's wrong with that?

Especially in "high season" when water other than in Phuket goes 18C, like in Oslo bay in July.

Pobably, 18C sea temp in January is "hot" for those who come from 2C or freezing rivers and harbours or simply plain ugly winter.

:o The TAT have announced a 30% drop in tourism over the past 6 months.

Who does the counting I always wondered!

Like many other business it certainly has it's ebbs and flows... airline prices, accommodation prices, pricing in general, infrastructure, economic situation.... name it, but who does the counting I wonder?

yesterday on Chaweng Beach Rd. a green Coconut for drinking offered for 50 baht - on the market 10!

Rambutan same on the market 15!

Alaskan Crab from 1500.- ThB

Red Curry 90.- (Rice extra)

Not to mention the Taxistas, more and more rude staff....

think a extended downturn would set the minds of some people straight again!

Well, well , well rake it in as long as one can!

Edited by Samuian

Am thinking too thailand is n't really that cheap a place for tourists(couples,families)some of the prices for 4 and 5 star resorts,prices are western prices,same as eating out at a nice restaurant,liquor prices too are n't cheap.Holidaying in australia(apart from the cost of the flight to get there)is n't a lot more expensive.Thailand stil cheap for backpackers though and for western residents(if you eat at thai cafe's and dont go to bars every night................where is cheap these days?

Am thinking too thailand is n't really that cheap a place for tourists(couples,families)some of the prices for 4 and 5 star resorts,prices are western prices,same as eating out at a nice restaurant,liquor prices too are n't cheap.Holidaying in australia(apart from the cost of the flight to get there)is n't a lot more expensive.Thailand stil cheap for backpackers though and for western residents(if you eat at thai cafe's and dont go to bars every night................where is cheap these days?

and yes the new rich are the russians,chinese,indians,pattaya will have to be renamed "little moscow"soon.Think the west is going down hill fast,we'll be 21st century "poor relations"

I think….

Fuel price, exchange rate, and global economy meltdown are the main causes effecting the thai tourism big time.

Yep….the worst is yet to come. I think it will be hinged on the US election and turnaround of the US economy.

Edited by teacup

and yes the new rich are the russians,chinese,indians,pattaya will have to be renamed "little moscow"soon.Think the west is going down hill fast,we'll be 21st century "poor relations"

Rich Russians would not glance over Pattaya. They are at St Tropez, Monte Carlo, Ibiza...

Those coming to Pattaya are neither Moskovites nor rich.

Mostly from former Soviet Empire (Kazakstan, Siberia...) and in jobs that pay 1000-1200 US$ per month.

Sorry, but Thailand is much cheaper than Australia or any other Western type of country. Once you pay for the plane ticket, the rest is mostly all gravy. :o

Your mileage may vary. Look around you. For the type of traveler who comes to say, Chiang Mai, and stays at hotels like The Four Seasons or The Chedi, it's assuredly not a cheaper holiday than in the West. Granted that I am stacking the deck using those examples, but the poster who mentioned things not being necessarily cheap in Thailand specifically pointed to the higher end tourist market.

Edited by ovenman

I'd say the beaches are not as nice as they once were,& they are only going to get worse as more development goes on.The canary islands are only a short hop from the uk,if you are looking for some ok beaches,albeit not exactly as exotic a feel as los.

Increased fuel/flight prices,not as good value with the dollar,the bombings in the south,unstable political situation......unrational fears about tsunamis :o .

Would be interesting to see where the 30% drop from which countries it came from...I would suspect long-haul Euros mainly. I would suspect that inbound from the middle east must be booming. Also, don't forget that there are 2+ BILLION Chinese and Indians (with maybe 200 million who have the means for a package tour to LOS) for whom Thailand is a short-haul destination. Most of these people have likely never traveled outside their country and Thailand would be a relatively inexpensive and exotic destination for them.

As to one person's comments about the Pan Pacific being cheaper than Royal Cliff Pattaya...early Sep. bookings at RCP can be had for B 5500-6000 vs. cheapest PP room being B 6800. So Pattaya room is US$ 50-60 cheaper per nite and room likely larger than PP's cheapest room. Really depends what one wants to do as comparing a holiday in Sing vs. Pattaya is not comparing like with like.

As an aside, I was snooping around the Ritz-Carlton's website recently and saw that a Ritz is scheduled to open in Krabi this year. So some investors are still putting down money on a continued inflow of well-healed tourists coming to LOS...including areas down in the restive southern part of the country.

Edited by NotNew2You

I guess their campaign of targeting ippun students as new tourist isnt working too well!

BTW when and where you saw that campaign? Or pure sense of inferiority made you post that rubbish?

i read it in either bkk post or the nation. i cant read thai papers they are in thai.

You think im clever enough to mkae this up.

Strange as the TAT just said a 16% fall in numbers.. Nothing like what your talking about.

If your going to claim it as fact then source please.

Sorry, but Thailand is much cheaper than Australia or any other Western type of country. Once you pay for the plane ticket, the rest is mostly all gravy. :o

Correct wording should be: "Thailand can be had on the cheap, cheaper than Australia or any other Western....".

But it is not. Apples to apples, it is more expensive.

My groceries (fish, meat, bread, fruit, wine) in Japan comes from places like Siam Paragon or Emporium. The places are also elite but not as much as in Thai as everybody and on average Japanese are better off than Thais in general.

Those things are about 15-20% more expensive in Bangkok than than in Tokyo. The goods are the same, have to be imported to both countries, probably less efficient channels in Thai and hence the prices are higher.

Holiday hotel - matched in quality - is cheaper in Singapore or Langkawi, so much so that it even offsets airline ticket on SQ, not on Air Asia or someone like that.

Thailand, still, "can be" had on the cheap, that's why backpackers are roaming around as ever.

And also poverty-packing westerners asking for 600B room with Internet and pool in Pattaya.

hello i was pats last month never seen it so dead but just talking to some of the guys that are here a lot are going back to bali if your from aus, flights are expensive at the moment, also the world economy makes people think a bit more , some stay home and go every second year.

cheers

Rich Russians would not glance over Pattaya. They are at St Tropez, Monte Carlo, Ibiza...

Those coming to Pattaya are neither Moskovites nor rich.

Mostly from former Soviet Empire (Kazakstan, Siberia...) and in jobs that pay 1000-1200 US$ per month.

Thats a good valid point. I personaly had a slow drive through Pattaya and Jomtien lastnight between 8 and 9 pm and the place was alsmost deserted. 99% of the bars and restaurants i passed were empty or had only a few customers. The traditional buisinesses catering for ferangs are struggling - some desperatley.

If you take Indians for eg. - they only eat Indian food. Morning noon and night. So you dont see many of them in an Italian or German restaurant.

Chinese are herded around in groups and agian are habitual in their diets. (bed at 9 pm)

Arab familys (recent target group) - dont see many in bars

To recap, there are innumerable small and medium buisinesses which have been built up and depend on the traditional ferang tourist with a high daily spend. These new groups (quality tourists - my big hairy ar-se) have low a daily spend - and to make matters worse most of their holiday money is spent at source.

Also, don't forget that there are 2+ BILLION Chinese and Indians (with maybe 200 million who have the means for a package tour to LOS) for whom Thailand is a short-haul destination. Most of these people have likely never traveled outside their country and Thailand would be a relatively inexpensive and exotic destination for them.

Good idea - maybe you could suggest that to TAT

Tourism Authority of Thailand targets Affluent Chinese Visitors

According to TAT’s Governor, Mrs. Phornsiri Manoharn, TAT is trying to eradicate low-priced package tours from China, and has come up with new initiatives to attract higher spending Chinese visitors to Thailand.

OOPS!

As to one person's comments about the Pan Pacific being cheaper than Royal Cliff Pattaya...early Sep. bookings at RCP can be had for B 5500-6000 vs. cheapest PP room being B 6800. So Pattaya room is US$ 50-60 cheaper per nite and room likely larger than PP's cheapest room. Really depends what one wants to do as comparing a holiday in Sing vs. Pattaya is not comparing like with like.

As an aside, I was snooping around the Ritz-Carlton's website recently and saw that a Ritz is scheduled to open in Krabi this year. So some investors are still putting down money on a continued inflow of well-healed tourists coming to LOS...including areas down in the restive southern part of the country.

Apples to apples, Pattaya RCR in September is in rock bottom season, PP in SIN is a business hotel like Sheraton or any of those that have no season. Then, compare prices in RCR in December and January with PP. Could be double.

In addition, the hotels are both 5* while PP is light years ahead (1 extravaganza to mention, they play CD quality music in their pool underwater, while you dive!) then you see what I mean.

The wet season is also the hottest part of the year - traditionaly the quiet time for tourism. On top of that the Baht has become so strong that places like south India are starting to look more attractive than Thailand.

.............now ad to all this the economic woes hitting Europe. Thailand has traditonaly being visited to a large extent by folk on tight budgets - I suspect a large percentage of those folk are the same folk feeling the economic downturn in Europe (all the so-called "trades", to mention just one group....

Add all the above together and is it any suprize that tourism is down 30%? Nope.

And also poverty-packing westerners asking for 600B room with Internet and pool in Pattaya.

500 baht, mate, don't go over 500 :o:D

Seriousley though, this has got to be down to airfares & global recession surely? Thailand was until recently affordable as a destination to pretty much any "westerners" with a 2 week holiday break. Now I think it's moved back to it's natrual status as an exotic location. For westerners anyway.

Your mileage may vary. Look around you. For the type of traveler who comes to say, Chiang Mai, and stays at hotels like The Four Seasons or The Chedi, it's assuredly not a cheaper holiday than in the West. Granted that I am stacking the deck using those examples, but the poster who mentioned things not being necessarily cheap in Thailand specifically pointed to the higher end tourist market.

If you look at higher end of the market, you should compare it to higher end market in western countries. Have you checked how much 5-star hotel costs at mediterranean? Here is one example of daily rate of almost 20000B: http://www.ghotw.com/hotel/rates/blau-porto-petro.htm , I'm sure you can find much more expensive examples.

Same applies to food, it's much, much cheaper in Thailand. A modest dinner in an ordinary restaurant (nothing fancy) costs easily 20 euros (1000B) per person in tourist areas in Greece/Italy/Spain. In Thailand same costs maybe about 300B...

Edited by zink