Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

I'm hearing of a bar on Sukhumvit 23 that

has 'every' game on as it happens. If this

turns out then me, Mrs CelticBhoy and the

2 lads will head off for a nosey. Just waiting

for confirmation via sms. Fancy popping over

for a Singha or two with us, Salty old son?

CB, Soi 23 passes by one end of Soi Cowboy does it not? This is the first February since 2002 that I am at home and not in Thailand. With CL matches in midweek I always said to little ladies in previous years I wish I could be beamed home as in Star Trek by Scotty for a couple of nights, so I could watch the matches in the evening rather than the middle of the night.

I am due to have a replacement knee op week after next and after that 2 weeks in nursing home so my viewing options will be severly curtailed for a few weeks. As regards Sunday let us hope for good news whereever we watch. :unsure:

Good luck with the knee Salty.

Lets hope the game tomorrow is as entertaining as the last. And if not , ,,,sod it . 3 points is all that matters. Hail Hail

Celtic 3 Rangers 0:

Celtic continued their recent good form with a clearcut win in the latest Old Firm Clash. Allowing for games in hand it is the first time we have been ahead in the League this season.

The first 15 minutes were poor. Many of the players seem to have reservations about the quality of the ball. On 17 minutes Celtic with their first good move took the lead. Hooper taking a ball from Commons left Weir for dead with a delightful touch forward and burst into the area, took another touch, and slotted it past McGregor for the lead goal. A silly foul on Diouf saw him whip a very dangerous ball into the area with Jelavic and Edu lurking but fortunately Charlie Mulgrew was there to clear. I thought he had a massive game all through. Then on 29 minutes Parkhead erupted again with a 2nd Celtic goal and it was a beauty. Izaguirre was put away by Samaras he delivered an inviting cross and Hooper made up a lot of ground to slide it home. Rangers were rocked though they were seeing more of the ball in the closing stages of the half. They suffered a further blow when Naismith had to retire at half time being replaced by Lafferty.

Rangers pressed forward on the resumption and there was always the feeling if they pulled one back it would be sweatsville for the rest of the game. Forster had to make a good save from a lob by Diouf but Jelavic was getting little change from the Celtic defence. Papic headed out from under the bar after Ferguson had pushed a cross onto Brown's head. Jelavic had a header wide but then in 70 minutes Celtic got a third. Commons received the ball at the edge of the area swithcd feet evaded Boughera and hit a swerving shot which deceived Ferguson. The only concern after that was a piece of mindless stupidity by Majstorovic who was all over Lafferty pulling his jersey after a free kick. There could have been no complaints if Rangers had got a penalty. Having survived this Celtic were well in control until the end.

The best win for Celtic since a similar 3-0 win in November 2005. It looked as if Rangers were a tired team after Thursday night. But there is no way you can write them off. They are potentially only 2 points behind and we have to go to Ibrox again. But what is gratifying is that Celtic now seem to carry a real menace in the forward line, midfield are formidable, and the defence looks reasonably secure. Things are looking much brighter than at the turn of the year when we were 3/1 outsiders going to Ibrox. :)

Edited by salty

Celtic 3 Rangers 0:

Celtic continued their recent good form with a clearcut win in the latest Old Firm Clash. Allowing for games in hand it is the first time we have been ahead in the League this season.

The first 15 minutes were poor. Many of the players seem to have reservations about the quality of the ball. On 17 minutes Celtic with their first good move took the lead. Hooper taking a ball from Commons left Weir for dead with a delightful touch forward and burst into the area, took another touch, and slotted it past McGregor for the lead goal. A silly foul on Diouf saw him whip a very dangerous ball into the area with Jelavic and Edu lurking but fortunately Charlie Mulgrew was there to clear. I thought he had a massive game all through. Then on 29 minutes Parkhead erupted again with a 2nd Celtic goal and it was a beauty. Izaguirre was put away by Samaras he delivered an inviting cross and Hooper made up a lot of ground to slide it home. Rangers were rocked though they were seeing more of the ball in the closing stages of the half. They suffered a further blow when Naismith had to retire at half time being replaced by Lafferty.

Rangers pressed forward on the resumption and there was always the feeling if they pulled one back it would be sweatsville for the rest of the game. Forster had to make a good save from a lob by Diouf but Jelavic was getting little change from the Celtic defence. Papic headed out from under the bar after Ferguson had pushed a cross onto Brown's head. Jelavic had a header wide but then in 70 minutes Celtic got a third. Commons received the ball at the edge of the area swithcd feet evaded Boughera and hit a swerving shot which deceived Ferguson. The only concern after that was a piece of mindless stupidity by Majstorovic who was all over Lafferty pulling his jersey after a free kick. There could have been no complaints if Rangers had got a penalty. Having survived this Celtic were well in control until the end.

The best win for Celtic since a similar 3-0 win in November 2005. It looked as if Rangers were a tired team after Thursday night. But there is no way you can write them off. They are potentially only 2 points behind and we have to go to Ibrox again. But what is gratifying is that Celtic now seem to carry a real menace in the forward line, midfield are formidable, and the defence looks reasonably secure. Things are looking much brighter than at the turn of the year when we were 3/1 outsiders going to Ibrox. :)

Ever thought of a spot of freelance work at the Daily Record Salty?

Good reporting old bhoy. Superb result and a different team after the turn of the year.

When you looked at our subs bench , there was a good team waiting for their chance and that is difference between us and THEM.

Hail Hail

Fine result. 3-0 was very well deserved.

Really looking like a team these days.

Good luck re the knee, Salty old son.

You'll be chasing the wee things around

Jomtien in the very near future, I'm sure.

Thanks CB. Hoping to make another trip in late June.

Did you see the game? The best display by Celtic for many moons giving us real hope for the remainder of the season. Due to not having access to all the channels I have at home, I will miss the Cup Replay alas and possibly the League Cup Final as well. Today makes me very hopeful that they will bring further good news. :)

I like this wee story nicked from Celtic Quick News:

Returning home from the game yesterday afternoon I couldn’t believe the number of media references to Rangers predicament being a result of their stricken financial situation. While Walter Smith declined to claim this as an excuse for his being outclassed, he was quick to insist that money was the reason his squad was so limited.

At the risk of letting facts get in the way of a good fantasy:

Smith’s summer signing, Nikica Jelavic, cost more than the combined total of nine of Celtic’s starting line-up. Jelavic cost £4m from Rapid Vienna, a huge investment compared to the following:

Forster, loan, free

Izaguirre, £550k

Majstorovic, free

Wilson, £500k

Mulgrew, free

Ledley, free

Commons, £300k

Kayal, £1.2m

Samaras, £1.2m

Celtic only featured two players who cost more than £1.2m, Scott Brown (£4.4m) and Gary Hooper (£2.5m), but seven of those who played for Rangers cost more than this: Whittaker, Bougherra, Edu, Davis, Naismith, Lafferty and Jelavic.

Rangers remain by far the most expensively assembled team in Scottish football. Money may well have an impact on their future aspirations, but it has nothing to do with their current paucity. This is not the squad of a bankrupt football team, it’s a consequence of a bankrupt football philosophy.

Four years of defending in every important game is not without consequence.

Motherwell 2 Celtic 0.

Celtic came back to earth with a bang after last week losing at Fir Park. There can be no complaints about the result. We made a dreadful start to each half and paid the price. It was never going to be easy on a bad pitch and opponents who had no intention of making life easy.

After escaping in the 1st minute following a fresh air by Charlie Mulgrew Motherwell went ahead in the next minute. From a Celtic point of view it was dreadful defending. A long high ball between Mulgrew and John Sutton was let hop and suddenly it was like watching an impending car crash as they both chased the ball. Mulgrew dallied waiting for Forster when he should have dealt with it himself. Sutton nipped in beat a hesitant Forster and rolled the ball into the net. Dreadful play by Mulgrew though I thought Forster was very slow also to react to the situation. Inspired by this Motherwell got stuck in and gave Celtic very few chances to impose themselves. They stopped the Celtic full backs from marauding up the touch lines. As a result Celtic always seemed to be trying to play through a packed defence. Motherwell also had a keeper on his game and he made a smart save form Scott Brown.

At half time the feeling was one of unease and the knowledge that it was going to be far from easy. Celtic were creating very little and a decent start was essential to the 2nd half. Instead we got another self inflicted wound. We survived when a Motherwell header crashed against the bar but within a minute Motherwell scored again. A good pass saw Izaguirre caught on the wrong side of an attacker. It was essential not to foul him but he clumsily clipped his heels in the area to concede a penalty. He was in no position to make a challenge and it seemed there was no imminent danger. John Sutton finished emphatically from the spot. Wilson and Stokes were hauled off and Samaras and Juarez came on. Forest replaced Ki in the 66th minute all these without effect. Motherwell had the bit in their teeth and were not giving Celtic anything. Celtic never looked likely to get back into the game.

As I write Rangers are 2-0 up in Ibrox and will reduce the points deficit to 5 and will nominally regain control. If nothing else these should dissapate the ridiculous level of optimism I have been reading of Celtic fans in the last week. It is ironic that 2 of the heroes last week were the offenders today and just goes to show you are only as good as your last trick.

Another Old Firm game awaits in the Cup replay which I will miss. Celtic have to realise that handing the initative to opponents at the start is asking for trouble and they got plenty of trouble today. :angry:

Must say that I'm quite glad I missed this

game from your account, Salty old son! But

to be fair to our lads it has been a long

while since they had a slip up. Let's hope

they sort out the problems for the Hun's

visit on Wednesday night.

Good luck at the hospital old fella!

And the news is grand, Salty old son!

A fine 1-0 that will take us to the

quarter finals against Inverness on the 13th.

Could have been more. Samaras hit the post and

also had a great shot well saved. But they beat

us well-and-truly on red cards - 3-0!!

Here's something I spied on 'Quick News' prior

to the game:

Ally McCoist just can’t help himself when he is in front of a microphone . . .

“It’s the small things that might matter the most, a free-kick here or there.

There is always the potential for surprise in an Old Firm game.”

Thanks CB. As regards Sunday last I have a feeling you could have boiled a kettle on Lenny's head. Hopefully better news tomorrow night. :unsure:

Hopefully things went well with the knee Salty. Its just that theres the cup game with ICT at the weekend and we are missing our star reporter.

Thanks CB. As regards Sunday last I have a feeling you could have boiled a kettle on Lenny's head. Hopefully better news tomorrow night. :unsure:

Hopefully things went well with the knee Salty. Its just that theres the cup game with ICT at the weekend and we are missing our star reporter.

Glad to report that knee operation appears to have gone well. Done last Thursday and moved to nursing home today. Unlikely to see cup game on Sunday. We have had a few mishaps against them over the years and got out of jail up there a few years ago. I do not know how you guys will be able to exist without my usual after match ramblings. No doubt you were all engulfed by a deep sense of depression last Wedesday night. Whats a 1-0 win over Rangers compared to the depression of being deprivred of another unwhelming match report. :whistling:

I was admitted to hospital last Wednesday and missed an eventful days sport by any standard. Astonished to see Ireland beat England at the World Cup. While I would not have looked at every ball I would certainly have been keeping a close eye on proceedings.

Then of course all hell broke out at Parkhead that evening. Probably just as well I missed it or I would still be typing. Just catching up with the acres of newsprint since. Hopefully we can take advantage of out replay victory to move on in the competition next Sunday.

I made the effort to go and see this game, Salty old son.

An Irish bar on Sukhumvit soi 4, 'bout 400 yards down on

the right hand side. Think it's called Hanrahan's.

Do you know if this bar will also show the final on 20/03?

I'm hoping so. Have sent them an email to ask.

Will let you know what they say.

Heard nothing back from Hanrahan's.

Internet and a carry out for me!

Heard nothing back from Hanrahan's.

Internet and a carry out for me!

Thanks, sounds like thats the answer then! What site do you use?

My sojourn away from home thankfully is nearly over and I expect to be reunited with my various satellite channels by Sunday for episode 6.

Last night I watched Real Madrid and Lyon on one of the Irish Channels. As I made my way at HT to the bathroom I noted with horror on the text we had just fallen behind at Inverness. After the usual few minutes made my way back out to observe we had equalised just before half time. Seldom have I experienced such relief after a visit to the bathroom. I managed to avoid checking the 2nd half updates for at least every 5 minutes and eventually noted the further good news about half way through. Thankfully after that no news was good news.

From reading the papers today I see Loovens played last night. Whenever he plays trouble never seems to be far behind. I have lost count of the number of times my blood pressure has been checked in the past couple of weeks. I have a horrible feeling it will reach critical levels on occasions next Sunday. :unsure:

Celtic 1 Rangers 2

So our hopes of a treble have fallen by the wayside. I returned from the nursing home today so I could see the game with the rather omnious feeling I could be tempting fate.

While you could argue that both uprights were kind to Rangers I felt all through they were the better team. They always seemed to look more menacing putting Celtic under a lot of pressure in the back four and all three looked dodgy all through. Celtic were never allowed to dominate in midfield. and our front players hardly showed. Poor defending for both of their goals and it looks like the big Swede was badly missed. I suspect all out nerves are going to be considerably frayed between now and the end of the season. :ermm:

I didn't see the game, but it sounds

like it was a cracker. I guess you're

right about the nerves now Salty old son.

It's never been easy as a Celtic fan, has it?

mmh cb ,its been a constant struggle , for at least 100 yrs.

lao khao???? or just yer plain old bucky,

we <d like to win the cup just ! time< even if it was a struggle

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

constant struggle ???????????????????? you lot are as deluded as spuds "fans":lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

not that i really care bout youre two bob <<<<<two team league

^ Don't post pished mate. Just don't do it.

Look at the mess you leave!!!

only statin the facts cb,

struggle, ????ma erse

:lol: :lol: :lol: puckin struggle

mess?? only mess is generally referred to as ,the old firm":)