Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Interesting point I spotted on Celtic Quick News:

Celtic have ten league games left this season but after this week’s home games against Hibernian and St Mirren, we have only a remarkable two home games from the remaining eight. We will need every inch of the advantage we now have, especially with trips to Ibrox and Tynecastle to come.

If this championship is won, it will happen on the road, on bumpy pitches, against packed defences. On the positive side, a review of every other team in the league makes it clear they are all suffering the strains of a long season with squads far more limited than Celtic’s.

Hope St.Johnstone do a Dundee United to keep us top after tonight!

CB, I saw that piece. I confidently expect the nerves to be stretched to breaking point over the next few weeks. It is now us who will have fixture problems. The team has again began to worry me. Dreadful displays against Motherwell and in League Cup Final. Rangers game is on ESPN here with a 6pm KO. I will be casting an eye on it. I doubt if they will drop more points in this one.

I was switching to Sky Sports News from the game at Stamford Bridge to check our progress. The early goal and subsequent 2 meant the channel hopping was much less frequent in the 2nd half.

No knee jerk reaction from me CB metaphorically or literally just I suspect a lot of nervy away games to come most of which I imagine will be live on TV. I am overcome with your sympathy. :rolleyes:

Walking quite well now with a cane 5 weeks on and hoping surgeon will give the ok next week to start driving again. Indeed as you forecast I have booked for a summer visit in late June.

St Johnstone 0 Celtic 1:

3 more points tonight after a very poor game on a poor pitch. Samaras and Murphy who started up front both missed good chances in the first half. Just on half time an attempted pass by Brown to Kayal was partially blocked but Kayal neatly flicked the ball on from behind him and was able to flick it past the goalie into the corner for the cruical goal.

Celtic were poor in the 2md half. Neither of the front men could hold the ball up and they created very little. Forster had to make a good save midway through and it was anything but relaxing. Brown hit the bar with about 6 minutes to go. The ball took ages to come down and Maloney on as a sub has his header saved by the goalie. Even in the last seconds Celtic conceded a free kick which had the nerves twitching. It was half cleared to the edge of the box where it was fired back high and handsome. Relief at last and finally able to watch the

game at Old Trafford.

CB, I will be a nervous wreck before this is over. :blink:

SPL post-split fixtures

The Clydesdale Bank Premier League post-split fixtures for 2010/11 have now been confirmed. The first games take place on April 23, with the season finishing on Sunday May 15.

WEEK 34

TOP SIX

Saturday April 23

Dundee United v Kilmarnock - 12.15pm (Sky Sports)

Hearts v Motherwell - 3pm

Sunday April 24

Rangers v Celtic – 12.30pm (Sky Sports)

BOTTOM SIX

Sunday April 24

Hibernian v St Mirren – 3pm

Monday April 25

St Johnstone v Inverness CT – 2pm (ESPN)

Hamilton Accies v Aberdeen – 4.15pm (ESPN)

WEEK 35

TOP SIX

Saturday April 30

Kilmarnock v Hearts – 3pm

Motherwell v Rangers – 12 noon (ESPN)

Sunday May 1

Celtic v Dundee United – 12.45pm (Sky Sports)

BOTTOM SIX

Saturday April 30

Aberdeen v Inverness CT – 3pm

Hibernian v St Johnstone – 3pm

Monday May 2

St Mirren v Hamilton Accies – 3pm (ESPN)

WEEK 36

TOP SIX

Saturday May 7

Dundee United v Motherwell – 3pm

Rangers v Hearts – 12.15pm (Sky Sports)

Sunday May 8

Kilmarnock v Celtic – 12.45pm (Sky Sports)

BOTTOM SIX

Saturday May 7

Aberdeen v St Johnstone – 3pm

Hamilton Accies v Hibernian – 3pm

Inverness CT v St Mirren – 3pm

WEEK 37

TOP SIX

Tuesday May 10

Rangers v Dundee United – 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

Wednesday May 11

Hearts v Celtic – 7.45pm (Sky Sports)

Motherwell v Kilmarnock – 7.45pm

BOTTOM SIX

Tuesday May 10

Aberdeen v St Mirren – 7.45pm

St Johnstone v Hamilton Accies – 7.45pm

Wednesday May 11

Inverness CT v Hibernian – 7.45pm

WEEK 38

TOP SIX

Sunday May 15

Celtic v Motherwell – 12.30pm

Dundee United v Hearts – 12.30pm

Kilmarnock v Rangers – 12.30pm

BOTTOM SIX

Saturday May 14

Hamilton Accies v Inverness CT – 3pm

Hibernian v Aberdeen – 3pm

St Mirren v St Johnstone – 3pm

Sky Sports will select two games on the final day of the season to be announced in due course.

Season 2011/12 begins on July 23. Fixtures published June 17.

All fixtures subject to change. © The Scottish Premier League Limited 2011

Cup Semi Final:

Aberdeen 0 Celtic 4.

Celtic qualified for the final against Motherwell with a comfortable win against yet again 10 man Aberdeen from the 10th minute on. The Dons had started brightly and were looking up for it. But in the 10th minute a fine ball from Brown put Hooper through on goal. Considine who had been sent off at Pitroddie in the league match was again sent off for taking down Hooper in the area. As in the league match Langfield saved the penalty from Stokes.

As you would expect Celtic enjoyed majority possession for the rest of the first hslf and missed a few chances but they were too slow generally in the build up and Aberdeen held out till half time. Indeed they had a decent chance to take the lead but Maguire headed into the arms of Forster after an excellent cross.

Celtic came out for the second half and began to look far more menacing. much quicker build up put Hooper through in the 2nd minute but he took an unnecessary touch and Langfield blocked his shot. Within 2 minutes Celtic were ahead. Mulgrew whipped in a very dangerous free kick with which both Stokes and a defender tried to connect . Both misses but Langfield confused by the pair was beaten as the ball went into the corner of the net. Celtic much better though Aberdeen had the ball in the net but it was a clear offside. Within seconds Celtic attacked and Stokes away on the left crossed for Joe Ledley to fire home a second. It was easy street now and Celts got another penalty when Diamond made a silly challenge on Stokes with no danger near the end line. Commons took this one and finished emphatically. No 4 came near the end from Shaun Maloney who had a tap in after coming on as a sub.

So no semi shock this year but Motherwell will be far from easy opponents in the Final. After the great 2nd half comeback at Ibrox with 10 men it would be very sweet to get our hand on this trophy. :huh:

I watched the worst game of football ever

in the wee hours of this morning. 'Them'

against Dundee United which resulted in

three red cards for DU and a 4-0 scoreline

for 'them.' One of 'them' nearly had a hat-

trick of penalties! Awful game.

My point is, why only 4 goals? The 'Tic

against 8 men would score 100's, yes? Or

am I still suffering from a lack of sleep

here? I just can't see why we are playing

catch-up against the worst, poorest, most jaded

'them' team in my memory. Rant well and truly over.

Hi CB,

Craig Burley has made that point several times on ESPN that it is one of the worst Rangers teams he has ever seen. But they seem to be nearly always able to ground out victories. Our lot are far from being our best ever and we are in a dogfight for the title.

A 4-0 win at Kilmarnock tonight keeps us just behind them with a game in hand. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/scot_prem/9460930.stm

Thankfully no worries after we were 2-0 up. Any dropped points would have been disastrous and of course it widens our goal difference advantage to 8. It might matter in the end. Sunday is going to be of monumental importance. If we turn up and perform I would be reasonably confident but Celtic have been flat in quite a few games. :ermm:

'They' managed a 4-0 then we copied it.

Only difference is the press headlines:

"Rangers Demolish Dundee Utd."

"Celtic Close Gap On Rangers"

We're not allowed to demolish a team it

would seem. Although 'they' did it against

only 8 men. Go figure.

Roll on Sunday. It will be a belter!

Rangers 0 Celtic O

A draw in the Old Firm game. Celtic missed a penalty with about 10 minutes to go with McGregor saving. He has saved quite a few Celtic penalties over the years. I was hoping Kris Commons would have taken it. You would have to admit that justice was served as the incident was never a penalty.

Over the 90 minutes I thought Rangers were better. Celtic were overrun for the first 20 minutes but gradually managed to get into the game. Samaras was dreadful and we were putting very little pressure on Rangers. In contrast the ball seemed to be around the Celtic goal far more often without Rangers coming close.

Celtic begasn to create more danger in the 2nd half. A much improved Samaras began to lay the ball off to effect. JOe Ledley went off injured and Commons replaced him. I thought he should have been on from the start. Bur Rangers were still very dangerous. Naismith had a shot blocked by Kayal and then shot wide with a clear sight of goal. Lafferty had a great chance but headed wide much to our relief. Mcgregor made an excellent save from a close range header from Majstorovic and tipped over a shot from Izaguirre. Kayal was just wide. Stokes came on for Hooper who had been very quietI could have strangled Samaras in the closing stages when he shotover with Commons in acres of space to his left. Stokes had a split second chance of a shot but dallied and was blocked out. He then won " the penalty" and was rightly booked for diving in the closing minutes. We survived the concession of a free kick in injury time with Diouf on as a sub wide from a dangerous position.

So in theory we are in contol with 5 games to go and it is likely we could draw one and win with 8 GD advantage. But the margin is wafer thin and it is just as well there is a week for the nerves to recover before next Sunday. I ask myself will I ever survive the next couple of weeks. :unsure:

Agree with your comments Salty old son.

I watched the game on the 'net and really

enjoyed it. We are in the driving seat now.

Would like to see Samaras chopped-up and put

in a big bowl of Mousaka though. He's woeful.

Stavros(Steve) a Greek guy who works on my job reckons he doesn't rate Samaras. I told him i think the same. fuc_king pish BTW. Only yours to lose i reckon.

CB Some more good news:http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Celtic-2--1-Rangers.6759017.jp

Well done for spotting that one, Salty old son.

What were you doing reading an Edinburgh rag?

By the way, I'll be in Jomtien next week.

Staying at the Boathouse. My wee bhoys want

to visit the 'sandpit'. Can't wait! I'll

keep an eye on the lassies for you . . . B)

Celtic 4 Dundee United 1.

After Rangers 5-0 win yesterday at Motherwell the pressure was on Celtic to respond. Thankfully they were equal to the task with a convincing victory. For a long time it was anything but clear cut and in the end you have to be very satisfied with a 3 goal win over a team which came to attack and were very menacing in spells.

Celtic started well and were carving out chances. Stokes diverted a shot from Commons onto the post and wide. Even though DU were having little of the ball they were menacing with quick breaks. Celtic went ahead in the 23rd minute after loose play by Kenneth in the DU defence. A poor back pass was seized on by Stokes who then crossed through Kenneths legs for Hooper showing good anticipation to slam home from close range. Celtic had further chances but could not make them count. In the last 10 minutes of the half DU were getting more possession and it was becoming nervous as the play was far more in the vicinty of the Celtic goal.

Celtic looked sloppy at the start of the 2nd half and anxiety began to grow as DU showed no signs of giving it up. But then 8 minutes in Kayal picked up the ball about 40 yards out advanced towards goal and fired a great shot into the corner of the net. Celtic resumed control and squandered a few chances to extend the lead. Not sure who it was but he was far too slow to pull the trigger with an excellent chance and Iziguirre had a dreadful cross with a couple of Celts on hand for a tap in. The worry was that DU would pull a goal back and then it would be sweatsville to the end. Russell one of the DU subs drove into the box and hit the post. Forster had to beat away another shot. Ki came on for Forrest and Maloney for Hooper (75 minutes). Celtic finally made sure in the 85th minute. Maloney made one of his trade mark runs near

the endline beat a defender with a shimmy and crossed. It bounced off a defender to Commons who drove home from an angle. Murphy came on for Brown. In injury time DU got a goal back. Mulgrew was negligent in not cutting out a cross ball and Goodwillie set up Russell for a close range finish. In the last minute of injury time Murphy took the ball past a few defenders worked it into the area and crashed home no 4. It increases our goal difference margin to +6. We don't know but it is possible it could all come down to this in the end.

We go back to Inverness on Wednesday for game in hand 6pm KO to hopefully win and go top. Hopefully DU will be as stubborn opponents against Rangers as they were today when they meet.

Edited by salty

Inverness C 3 Celtic 2.

Celtic lost the game in hand and as a result Rangers are now in the driving seat and with 3 games to go 2 of them at home. They must be considered firm favourites to take the title for the 3rd year in a row.

No fluke here Inverness were by far the better team and were unlucky to win by only 1. Celtic were dreadful.It was one of those displays I am always fearful of. The team as a whole were shocking. Naive schoolboy defending and no concerted pressure with hardly any chances. Celtic forced 4 corners in a row in the first 5 minutes but when Caley got the ball down the other end a few minutes later they went ahead. The ball was chased down and kept in play. Mulgrew stupidly appealing for an non existent offside was on the wrong side of the forward and when the ball came across it cannoned off him into the net past a helpless goalie. Celtic were level 2 minutes later. Commons got the ball in plenty of space and scored with a good shot from outside the area. Celtic were almost caught again when Rooney was through but Forster was out quickly to get a block. It has to be said he stood between Celtic and a rout all through. It remained 1-1 till half time.

If you did not know you would have assumed Caley were the team going for the title in the 2nd half. They were getting stuck in every where and not giving Celtic a smell. After 53 minutes Caley went ahead again. A corner was headed out by Majstovic to an unmarked Munro and he hammered a terrific shot into the corner. He was totally unmared by the ball watching Celts. & minutes later Caley made it 3-1. Another poor clearance header from Majstovic was returned across the area and Sutherland onside hammered it in off the post for 3-1. Celtic asleep in defence again. For then to the end Forster saved Celtic twice from further goals with 2 excellent saves . 2 minutes into injury time Maloney was fouled in the area and Commons scored from the spot. Too little too late.

The disbelief on the faces of the faithful spoke volumes. No hard luck or dodgy decisions here. No doubt in the next day or two we will have the usual " we will fight to the end " cliches. That may be so but I am convinced Celtic have blown it and Rangers will not slip up over the last few hurdles.

I wish i was as confident in Rangers "run in" as you are Salty ! I've got a feeling there are more surprises in store over the last few games. Both sides have still to play Hearts and these could be the crucial games, although we've also still got Dundee Utd and they've already beaten us at Ibrox this season. Rangers slight favourites but all to play for i think.

Inverness C 3 Celtic 2.

Celtic lost the game in hand and as a result Rangers are now in the driving seat and with 3 games to go 2 of them at home. They must be considered firm favourites to take the title for the 3rd year in a row.

No fluke here Inverness were by far the better team and were unlucky to win by only 1. Celtic were dreadful.It was one of those displays I am always fearful of. The team as a whole were shocking. Naive schoolboy defending and no concerted pressure with hardly any chances. Celtic forced 4 corners in a row in the first 5 minutes but when Caley got the ball down the other end a few minutes later they went ahead. The ball was chased down and kept in play. Mulgrew stupidly appealing for an non existent offside was on the wrong side of the forward and when the ball came across it cannoned off him into the net past a helpless goalie. Celtic were level 2 minutes later. Commons got the ball in plenty of space and scored with a good shot from outside the area. Celtic were almost caught again when Rooney was through but Forster was out quickly to get a block. It has to be said he stood between Celtic and a rout all through. It remained 1-1 till half time.

If you did not know you would have assumed Caley were the team going for the title in the 2nd half. They were getting stuck in every where and not giving Celtic a smell. After 53 minutes Caley went ahead again. A corner was headed out by Majstovic to an unmarked Munro and he hammered a terrific shot into the corner. He was totally unmared by the ball watching Celts. & minutes later Caley made it 3-1. Another poor clearance header from Majstovic was returned across the area and Sutherland onside hammered it in off the post for 3-1. Celtic asleep in defence again. For then to the end Forster saved Celtic twice from further goals with 2 excellent saves . 2 minutes into injury time Maloney was fouled in the area and Commons scored from the spot. Too little too late.

The disbelief on the faces of the faithful spoke volumes. No hard luck or dodgy decisions here. No doubt in the next day or two we will have the usual " we will fight to the end " cliches. That may be so but I am convinced Celtic have blown it and Rangers will not slip up over the last few hurdles.

What on earth has happened to Scottish football? Inverness Caley used to be in the highland league! Edited by Johnniey

Kilmarnock 0 Celtic 2

Celtic kept the pot boiling (in theory anyway) with victory at Rugby Park. In general I thought they were slow lethargic and uninspired. They went ahead just at the start of 1st half injury time. Murphy taking a throw in was given a surprising amount of space,

he crossed to the far post where Forrest nodded it across goal and Brown was on hand to nod it into the net. Relief all round as apart from 2 disallowed goals for offside Celtic had not looked very menacing. In fact Killie had more shots without really threatening.

Celtic enjoyed the vast majority of possession in the 2nd half but their play was slow and generally uninspired. It took a terrific Strike by Commons midway through to put us in the comfort zone. Celtic saw it out without too much trouble. In the very unlikely event of Rangers not winning both of their games it could be a very important 3 points. :huh: